Thread: Joe Walsh Purple Fender Jazzmaster

Out on the Border RushFanForever's Avatar

Default Joe Walsh Purple Fender Jazzmaster

I saw this 2020 article on Gavin Rossdale noted here.

Apparently Joe Walsh used to own a Purple Fender Jazzmaster, that was used on Hotel California, which Rossdale now owns.

This doesn't confirm if it's the title track or the whole album.

Default Re: Joe Walsh Purple Fender Jazzmaster

That is news to me.

Maybe he means he used it on the Hotel California album.

The song Hotel California was recorded by Joe using a Fender Telecaster.

There was a TV Show on AXES where people showed their music related collectables and the show would appraise them and auction them off on line for he owner if they wanted. Gavin was on it with the guitar, I believe it was a 72 Fender Jazz master.purple with a red tortoise pick guard. He said when he got his first big paycheck he went to a used guitar store in England. The guitar was in the window but he didn't really pay attention to it because he really doesn't like purple. He was looking for a nice guitar for his shows. Gavin said how he tried every guitar in the store than ask the owner about the one in the window. The owner said it used to belong to Joe Walsh. Gavin was kinda skeptic but tried the guitar. He said it was instant like. It was different than other Jazz Masters. He remembered someone hooking on up to a Marshal amp so he tried it too. That was it. He paid about $1200-1500 for it.
    He was playing at a festival after that and Joe was there too. Joe sent a runner to Gavin asking if he could come to Gavin's dressing room and meet him. When Joe got there they talked for a while before Gavin showed Joe the guitar and asked if Joe knew anything about it. Joe played it and said it was his. When Gavin asked Joe when he used it Joe replied he did all the rhythm parts on the Hotel California album Joe even sent him a certificate of authentication in fact Smokey had Joe sign it. Gavin said when he got the guitar back and saw the signature he freaked. He uses this guitar all the time in his shows and really didn't want someone name on it and wiped it off.
    Needless to say the show didn't put a value on it and Gavin didn't sell it. He said he's going to keep it for his kids.

E5F1543D-CC79-4AE8-BEFE-18B3C12A81F9.jpgCE53ECE5-5125-4155-B09D-569B2366B5F6.jpgTook a couple quick shots off the tv. It was a 68 Jazz Master, not a 72 as I said earlier.