Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333940414243

Thread: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Incidentally, Austin, do you know what Don F, Glenn and Bernie played on TITTL, the studio recording? Or did they all even play on it? Glenn didn't play piano snd there aren't that many guitar parts. I assume
    that Don played the intro licks. He did them in that recent live performance and sounded great.

Yeah I don't buy the whole "it doesn't matter to me" bit. It clearly does if he's harping on it all these years later. He's an injustice collector and can't let things go. I agree Chaim, the comments of some of his fans are what gets me more than anything.

Scamp - that is so cool. They were absolutely a force to be reckoned with. A great guitar team.

Chaim - I don't know a lot about that song. I know Lyin' Eyes was a Telecaster into a Deluxe Reverb and After The Thrill Is Gone was his Les Paul into a Tweed Deluxe but I have no idea what he played on that song guitar wise. To me it sounds pretty Fender-y. I'm guessing just tone-wise it was a similar setup to New Kid In Town which was a Stratocaster into a Deluxe Reverb. One Of These Nights of course was a Les Paul into the Tweed Deluxe. Almost a guarantee that in the 70s it was either a Tweed era Narrow Panel Deluxe or Black Panel Deluxe Reverb for Don's amps. The only outlier is the Tweed era Champ on Victim Of Love. Otherwise he was a Fender Deluxe guy through and through in the studio. If it needed to be cleaner, Black Panel. If it needed some hair, Tweed. As far as guitars it was one of 3 - Les Paul, Strat, or Tele and only rarely Tele.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    That HFO situation must have been a beautiful thing to witness. Personally I've never understood why they had Don F and Joe in the band, but didn't let them "go crazy" together more, especially on albums. Felder does have phenomenal guitar parts on Eagles albums and Joe even has some beautiful keyboard parts, but what they had as a duo seems a bit like well-kept secret to me. 😅 There are things I still dislike about Felder and I still tend to say it sometimes, but as a guitarist he'll get zero complaints from me.
    Remember the HfO tour was Joe's first sober playing...Don H, Glenn and Irving decided they should get Don F. i the band incase Joe couldn't get sober. They couldn't go on tour without the lead guitar. There is an early tape of Joe and Don playing Turn to Stone. It was long and I don't think Don H wanted any songs they couldn't sing.
    An interview with Joe about the Long Road Out of Eden he said that they had Stuart in the studio and he was such a great player that Joe only played guitar on his own songs and solo parts he has. He said he played mostly keyboard, organ and piano and Stuart played the guitar parts

On thing I really don't like about Felder was it was always "I had to play the bass part" or the mandolin or the lap steel. He always made it sound like he was the only one who could play any other instruments.

WalshFan 88

Don seemed to be a LP player more than any other guitar. I always thought it was strange when I saw I'm play a strat and I think I've only seen him play a tele once. I think I've seen him play hie gretsch more than a tele.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
    Remember the HfO tour was Joe's first sober playing...Don H, Glenn and Irving decided they should get Don F. i the band incase Joe couldn't get sober. They couldn't go on tour without the lead guitar. There is an early tape of Joe and Don playing Turn to Stone. It was long and I don't think Don H wanted any songs they couldn't sing.
    An interview with Joe about the Long Road Out of Eden he said that they had Stuart in the studio and he was such a great player that Joe only played guitar on his own songs and solo parts he has. He said he played mostly keyboard, organ and piano and Stuart played the guitar parts

On thing I really don't like about Felder was it was always "I had to play the bass part" or the mandolin or the lap steel. He always made it sound like he was the only one who could play any other instruments.
    I assume Glenn played rhythm parts on Eden as well?

Stuck on the Border

....and keyboard/piano parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
    WalshFan 88

Don seemed to be a LP player more than any other guitar. I always thought it was strange when I saw I'm play a strat and I think I've only seen him play a tele once. I think I've seen him play hie gretsch more than a tele.
    Tele was used always for Lyin' Eyes. Almost never other than that.

He actually used the Strat a fair bit but just not as much as the Les Paul. He used the Strat for NKIT, VOL, and I'm pretty sure TITTL. Live he used it for Take It Easy.