Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Out on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Peaceful Easy Feeling at Batavia Downs this past Friday.

https://www.facebook.com/rob.hausrat...19205515881965

Rough performance; hopefully he plays better as the tour extends.

He's started using new vocal tracks too. They're more autotuned than before, but his vocal tone actually sounds better on them, oddly. I wonder if there's more reverb on the tracks now.

An interesting thing about this performance is that he apparently did "Best of My Love." I'm curious to see how he pulled it off or if he rearranged it as I've never heard him do that song.

Stuck on the Border

Haven't listened to it yet, but are you sure he's using vocal tracks there? Would be a bit strange if he's recorded new ones.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Haven't listened to it yet, but are you sure he's using vocal tracks there? Would be a bit strange if he's recorded new ones.
    I'm fairly certain that he is (and someone can correct me if they can deduce otherwise). Don's natural voice is fairly raspy and cracks quite a bit. Sometimes, he does actually sing decently in tune (I posted some links a few months ago to videos of a fundraiser he did in 2014 where he sang uncharacteristically well), but it's never as note-perfect and compressed as it is here.

The thing with these new vocal tracks is that they're more cleverly recorded than the ones he was using before. They're not so compressed that they make Don sound like a little boy (listen to the AXSTV Vegas concert with Styx and Foreigner if you think this assessment is a too severe), and they've preserved a couple of voice cracks (like on the word "know" in "you don't already know how to go"). Seems like a page out of Kevin Cronin's book, as Kevin's vocal tracks include some goofs and spaces between the lines for him to adlib (they're probably meant to be red herrings).

Sometimes I wish that the people shooting these Felder concerts would focus on the computer screens in the sound booth or Timothy Drury's laptop screen.

Stuck on the Border

I guess we'll know for sure if his voice cracks everytime in the same places. Would be cool if he decided to sing live. Paul Stanley finally started started lip-syncing - what a sad way to go out. Roger Waters barely sings live...

Quote Originally Posted by thebagels View Post
    Seems like a page out of Kevin Cronin's book, as Kevin's vocal tracks include some goofs and spaces between the lines for him to adlib (they're probably meant to be red herrings).
    Interesting! I *love* REO, and I've seen then more than any other band at this point (4x). Some really don't care for Kevin's vocal mannerisms and haven't from the beginning.

And to the best of my recollection, it's been probably 2/2.5 years since I've seen the guys last - Kevin wasn't using vocal tracks or lip syncing. It was painfully obvious on Keep On Lovin' You and Take It On The Run as I remember. On those high notes it was cracking and very frail sounding. Other lines he would "whisper sing" to try to hit those notes. And hey, I'm not complaining - aging is an inevitable process that sadly affects some more than others. At least Kevin Cronin could sing well at one point, unlike Don Felder.

I need to see them again though! They always put on a good show and I like all of their music from the earliest more hard rock numbers right up through the power ballad era. Then again, maybe I won't enjoy myself as much if he's lip syncing the whole time. I guess I'd rather have the realness warts and all from a singer like Kevin. Felder, eh...
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Interesting! I *love* REO, and I've seen then more than any other band at this point (4x). Some really don't care for Kevin's vocal mannerisms and haven't from the beginning.

And to the best of my recollection, it's been probably 2/2.5 years since I've seen the guys last - Kevin wasn't using vocal tracks or lip syncing. It was painfully obvious on Keep On Lovin' You and Take It On The Run as I remember. On those high notes it was cracking and very frail sounding. Other lines he would "whisper sing" to try to hit those notes. And hey, I'm not complaining - aging is an inevitable process that sadly affects some more than others. At least Kevin Cronin could sing well at one point, unlike Don Felder.

I need to see them again though! They always put on a good show and I like all of their music from the earliest more hard rock numbers right up through the power ballad era. Then again, maybe I won't enjoy myself as much if he's lip syncing the whole time. I guess I'd rather have the realness warts and all from a singer like Kevin. Felder, eh...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPjagdjW9hg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnwUJlj_l8k

If you sync these two videos, you'll hear that his vocal is tracked, but his adlibs between lines ("you sing it!") are different.

I like REO as well. Kevin always had an interesting timbre to his voice, but his vocal tuning is really precise. Despite the frailty in his voice that you mention (which I agree with), I'm happy he's apparently keeping himself physically active. And when he sings songs in lower keys, they're still enjoyable to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Ou6-s3zcQ

Stuck on the Border

Pretty obvious lip-syncing in those two clips, yeah.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I dunno - JMHO, but I think some of these older rockers who have lost their vocal prowess should just go ahead and hang it up. I've never been a fan of lip-synching. When someone can no longer perform live, that should be their cue that their time in the spotlight is over. Or to quote Kenny Rogers again ... "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em".

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I dunno - JMHO, but I think some of these older rockers who have lost their vocal prowess should just go ahead and hang it up. I've never been a fan of lip-synching. When someone can no longer perform live, that should be their cue that their time in the spotlight is over. Or to quote Kenny Rogers again ... "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em".
    Don could just hire a singer since he's never been a singer to begin with. People like Paul Stanley should indeed hang it up instead of repeating all over again that they're going out on top and bashing former bandmates' (Frehley & Criss) ability to perform. I'm sure Paul's decision to lipsync killed Gene, who can still sing.

Quote Originally Posted by thebagels View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPjagdjW9hg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnwUJlj_l8k

If you sync these two videos, you'll hear that his vocal is tracked, but his adlibs between lines ("you sing it!") are different.

I like REO as well. Kevin always had an interesting timbre to his voice, but his vocal tuning is really precise. Despite the frailty in his voice that you mention (which I agree with), I'm happy he's apparently keeping himself physically active. And when he sings songs in lower keys, they're still enjoyable to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Ou6-s3zcQ
    That is disappointing.

I just realized I meant to say I hadn't seen them in 2.5 years as if COVID hadn't happened yet. So 2.5 years from the last time I saw any kind of live music (2019) would be late 2016/early 2017. I've seen them a bunch, and maybe will again but I certainly will be looking at more 2021 live footage to decide if I feel like maybe I should end things on a good note and remember it how it was when I saw them last.

That almost definitely is lipsynced. And he wasn't doing that when I saw them. Instead, he barreled through Keep On Loving You and Can't Fight This Feeling warts and all. I'm guessing his pride got hurt along the way and felt like the better thing to do is sing with tracks or lipsync to save face because most people wouldn't know any better (or so he thinks). Too proud to quit, too proud to sing in a lower key.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."