Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243 LastLast

Thread: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Yeah, he could do all kinds of guitar stuff and still get the adoratiom he needs so much.

He could also move beyond Hotel California IMHO. The doubleneck guitar seems to be like a holy object to him now and he expects the audience to feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Yeah, he could do all kinds of guitar stuff and still get the adoratiom he needs so much.

He could also move beyond Hotel California IMHO. The doubleneck guitar seems to be like a holy object to him now and he expects the audience to feel the same.
    Yeah I agree on him getting the adoration.

I mean you know how I feel about Hotel California. It's the best song the Eagles ever did IMO, and certainly my favorite and it saved my life, but he clings to it like it's *his* creation and his only. That part I don't like. I mean he's taking credit for things that he has no business doing. Yes, he had the first impetus for the song. But there is nothing to say that if DH and GF hadn't worked their magic or done their work on it that it would have been in the same stratosphere as successful. I would bet my own money it wouldn't have been. I'm a guitar lover, and I don't think much about lyrics nor do I look for complexity there, but even *I* don't like instrumental music. And by clinging to HC so much, he devalues the other things he's done in the band and the other parts he's created. So he's not only doing a disservice to Eagles fans who know the truth, but to himself.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    That is disappointing.

I just realized I meant to say I hadn't seen them in 2.5 years as if COVID hadn't happened yet. So 2.5 years from the last time I saw any kind of live music (2019) would be late 2016/early 2017. I've seen them a bunch, and maybe will again but I certainly will be looking at more 2021 live footage to decide if I feel like maybe I should end things on a good note and remember it how it was when I saw them last.

That almost definitely is lipsynced. And he wasn't doing that when I saw them. Instead, he barreled through Keep On Loving You and Can't Fight This Feeling warts and all. I'm guessing his pride got hurt along the way and felt like the better thing to do is sing with tracks or lipsync to save face because most people wouldn't know any better (or so he thinks). Too proud to quit, too proud to sing in a lower key.
    Gotta give props to REO; they've started singing live again.

The way they handled "I'm getting closer than I ever thought I might" is the way I wish more bands would rearrange songs when their singers' voices changes. They are lucky that Dave has a high voice and can handle Kevin's parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ybA6NBByoQ

When I first heard Felder was doing TITTL my heart dropped. The man is not a singer. Glenn said it best! He's an amazing guitarist and writer but he can't sing and he has the charisma of a wet mop. He's no frontman. But he actually has his bassist sing this and it's not too bad! I was expecting the worst. I think he knew there would be criticism.

I still think the very best Eagles tribute band on planet earth could be Don Felder's band if Felder quit singing everything but his solo songs and left the DH and GF vocals to other vocalists. It would have so much credibility and authenticity with Felder's knack for playing things like the record and his musicianship and the fact it has an ex-Eagle in it. I would pay to see that anyday. Maybe get your bassist to sing the high songs and just hire one more guy who can sing in Glenn's range. It's not *that* much more money. Especially if is not some well known superstar singer. Then you would have a band that I would be over the moon to see. Felder's expert guitar playing but with good vocals.

While no one can touch Randy's vocal, I always have absolutely loved Glenn singing TITTL in a lower key - it almost sounds like Lyin' Eyes or Tequila Sunrise. The version on F1 is sublime. If it's not Randy I want to hear Glenn sing it. No one else. Not Vince Gill, not Felder (lol), not even Timothy. I think Timothy would have too much respect to sing it.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 09-02-2023 at 05:25 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    When I first heard Felder was doing TITTL my heart dropped. The man is not a singer. Glenn said it best! He's an amazing guitarist and writer but he can't sing and he has the charisma of a wet mop. He's no frontman. But he actually has his bassist sing this and it's not too bad! I was expecting the worst. I think he knew there would be criticism.

I still think the very best Eagles tribute band on planet earth could be Don Felder's band if Felder quit singing everything but his solo songs and left the DH and GF vocals to other vocalists. It would have so much credibility and authenticity with Felder's knack for playing things like the record and his musicianship and the fact it has an ex-Eagle in it. I would pay to see that anyday. Maybe get your bassist to sing the high songs and just hire one more guy who can sing in Glenn's range. It's not *that* much more money. Especially if is not some well known superstar singer. Then you would have a band that I would be over the moon to see. Felder's expert guitar playing but with good vocals.

While no one can touch Randy's vocal, I always have absolutely loved Glenn singing TITTL in a lower key - it almost sounds like Lyin' Eyes or Tequila Sunrise. The version on F1 is sublime If it's not Randy I want to hear Glenn sing it. No one else. Not Vince Gill, not Felder (lol), not even Timothy. I think Timothy would have too much respect to sing it.
    ITA Austin.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    ITA Austin.
    Glenn really made it his own song. Same lyrics, roughly similar instrumentation, but it took on a whole different thing when he sang it. It really had a smoother thing to it.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 09-02-2023 at 06:12 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Well, Don F hasn't actually SUNG live for years, you know. 😄

Glenn and TITTL...I've heard that Glenn was once interviewed on the radio and there was a piano in the room. The interviewer asked him something about TITTL (maybe asked Glenn to play some of it?). Glenn said that he should be able to play it on the piano since he wrote it on a piano. Then he played it. Does anybody remember this? Is there an audio? I've never heard it, I've only heard ABOUT it.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Well, Don F hasn't actually SUNG live for years, you know. 😄

Glenn and TITTL...I've heard that Glenn was once interviewed on the radio and there was a piano in the room. The interviewer asked him something about TITTL (maybe asked Glenn to play some of it?). Glenn said that he should be able to play it on the piano since he wrote it on a piano. Then he played it. Does anybody remember this? Is there an audio? I've never heard it, I've only heard ABOUT it.
    True that - actually glad for Autotune in this case lol. Oh man.

I have not heard that interview but I sure want to! Maybe Dreamer or Soda has it saved.

Stuck on the Border

Austin, I don't think it's just Autotune. He has used the same backing tracks for years. Maybe it's not noticeable at the actual shows, but when you watch his performances on YouTube, it's embarassingly obvious. If he was honest about it I wouldn't mind since he's a guitarist after all, but YouTube is full of comments like "he still sings great!".

Stuck on the Border

(People on YouTube, who watch his interviews, also say he's very humble. I've NEVER heard of another human being having announcer praising his/her accomplishments on an intro tape before a "humble" walk to the centre stage. 🤣 )