Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 LastLast

Thread: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I dunno - JMHO, but I think some of these older rockers who have lost their vocal prowess should just go ahead and hang it up. I've never been a fan of lip-synching. When someone can no longer perform live, that should be their cue that their time in the spotlight is over. Or to quote Kenny Rogers again ... "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em".
    Agreed Dreamer. Either lose the ego and sing (real live singing) in a lower key, or hang it up. Don't just lipsync or use autotune to try to keep going. If you are too proud to sing in a lower key, then taking the high road and retiring is the right move. If the rest of the guys in your band don't want to quit yet and you feel like letting them continue under a new singer, great. Or if your band existed in a prior incarnation before you came along, even though your era was more successful, they have every right to continue without you and your permission to continue with you.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Austin, it has amazed me how easily big names in rock music get away with lip-syncing in the YouTube era. Kiss tested it in one of their cruises. In one of the videos, shot from somewhere above the stage, you could see the little screen before Paul on the floor. You could see the lyrics there and the font had a different color when the words came from a track and when Paul sang them live. Only little phrases here and there had the "live color". Obviously those colors helped Paul memorize which little bits he actually was going to sing.

When the actual tour started, there were videos on YouTube where people had put FOUR performances playing simultaneously and they all had exactly the same vocals. In Paul songs, that is. The Gene songs were live. Even with tons of evidence on YT people don't care. Even lots of Kiss fans who KNOW Paul lip-syncs, started saying "I still enjoyed the show". So it's a bit strange...
    Last edited by chaim; 07-18-2021 at 12:26 PM.

Paul should change his makeup to a mime! Lol
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Out on the Border

So Don actually did do Best of My Love (go to 7:25).

https://www.facebook.com/10000095607...25195585922732

I wonder where the pedal steel sound is coming from. One might think that it's coming from the keyboards (and maybe it is), but I've never heard of a keyboard that can change chords the same way a pedal steel will (different notes slide to different places); yet, that's exactly what's happening here.

This is a song that I really wonder whether or not Don can sing in real life because "go on sleeping" and "I guess it wasn't enough" require large vocal leaps. These are hard to sing; even Henley doesn't always do both in recent Eagles performances of the song.

Don's up and down bowing didn't work too well this time. In my opinion, he didn't have to do it as the show's subtle ending up until then fit the mood of BOML pretty well.
    Last edited by thebagels; 07-22-2021 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Austin, it has amazed me how easily big names in rock music get away with lip-syncing in the YouTube era. Kiss tested it in one of their cruises. In one of the videos, shot from somewhere above the stage, you could see the little screen before Paul on the floor. You could see the lyrics there and the font had a different color when the words came from a track and when Paul sang them live. Only little phrases here and there had the "live color". Obviously those colors helped Paul memorize which little bits he actually was going to sing.

When the actual tour started, there were videos on YouTube where people had put FOUR performances playing simultaneously and they all had exactly the same vocals. In Paul songs, that is. The Gene songs were live. Even with tons of evidence on YT people don't care. Even lots of Kiss fans who KNOW Paul lip-syncs, started saying "I still enjoyed the show". So it's a bit strange...
    I think for the band who screams the loudest from the rooftops about putting on the best bombastic show possible and not liking bands who are boring, choreographed, or aren't real enough and all of that, the idea that KISS is using vocal tracks is a bitter pill to swallow that reeks of irony and hypocrisy. Couple that with them saying that Peter isn't able to play anymore to the band's standards of musicianship (I mean this is KISS not the damn Philharmonic Orchestra!!!) and that while Ace can still play great, his "unpredictability" and so called lack of professionalism is a liability to the band for putting on consistently great shows, well that's just a bit too bitter to swallow at that point.

And here's the thing, I like Paul Stanley. I actually like him better as a person than Gene Simmons. Like not even in the same stratosphere better. But it's time to "Face The Music", Paul. Your vocal cords are shot. That's ok. It happens. A life of rock and roll plus aging can do that. It doesn't detract from your classic recordings or place in the band's history. IMO to not seem hilariously hypocritical or ironic you have 2 choices, maybe 3 as far as how to continue on or not with KISS. This goes for Gene, Tommy, and Eric too.

1) KISS calls it quits and actually mean it. Finish this leg of shows and put your money where your mouth is.
    2) Let Ace and Peter play with the group again, and realize that Peter Criss can drum about as well as you can sing and that you using tracks in your band can't be any more demeaning or embarrassing than anything Ace might say or do and that he isn't even as reckless as you think he is.
    3) Start seeking a replacement for yourself.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Not that they give a hoot, but I choose option #1!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

It’s crazy how things seem to collide. I have been a KISS fan since I can remember. My walls as a teen had Eagles Hotel California insert poster (over my bed ) and next to that KISS, among other various groups. I am an Ace fan and it always bothered me how Paul and Gene constantly trashed Ace and Peter. Reading this thread, it’s nice to hear others feeling the same way. How Paul can lip sync and then put Ace and Peter down is a head scratcher. I’m going to see Alice Cooper and Ace in Sept….can’t believe it! Very psyched, never saw either live except for YouTube.

Nobody’s perfect and as others have said I’d rather have warts and all, rasp, cracks, maybe not hitting the note perfect than have a lip synced performance, especially nowadays at the price tickets are now!!

as far as REO goes, they just opened the brand new Amphitheatre in BRidgeport, CT with Styx. (same place I’m going for Alice and Ace) and I heard some saying they seemed like something missing whereas STYX had a lot of energy. Who knows I wasn’t there, but peeps were Calling in Radio station mentioning it….maybe it has to do with lip syncing idk……

Out on the Border

Apparently, he's not even trying to hide it anymore.

https://youtu.be/IR5gJgoGNaY?t=168

"This next song is about the rest of my life!"

Oh really Don, I wasn't aware you wrote this about how your life would be in your 70s. I could have sworn it was wrote by Don Henley and Glenn Frey and that their basis for the song *wasn't* about how you'd be living the rest of your life right now. Gee, thanks for the correction! Ok, sarcasm aside - the nerve! The nerve! This is not "I call this the credit card song" or "I dedicate this". It's "this song is about the rest of my life". At least this song was written during your Eagles tenure so I'm not even more mad that you weren't even in the picture then, but I guarantee you Don and Glenn did not think about Felder's senior living arrangement when they wrote this track in 1978! Just a hunch.

Felder has truly almost never taken the high road. Instead of repenting, he's doubled down. He only has himself to blame for his misfortunes in life, Eagles and otherwise. No one wants to be around a perpetual victim who really isn't a victim but rather a passive-aggressive narcissist who overvalues himself and when someone tries to bring him back down to planet earth, he cries foul play. I honestly just cannot believe I supported him as a person for so many years. I was wearing some thick rose colored glasses. Although I do think he's become more insufferable with time. As much as Henley can weigh on my nerves (and irregardless of the 3.0 situation I might add!), when Geffen called Henley a malcontent (which I don't deny) I kinda wish I was there to say "hey, have you met Don Felder yet?". Henley at least could back it up with immeasurable talent and success, even outside of the group as a solo artist. Which is to say he didn't need the other guys to do really well. Don Felder has not shown that to be the case yet.

Pretty brazen, Don. Pretty darn brazen....
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Out on the Border

Agreed, Austin, if that's what Don actually said. I've heard other times when he's said "this song is the story of my life," which I don't mind as much, but it's far from clear.

Another lip-sync fail. This one is absolutely baffling because there's no good explanation for it other than he walked right into it.

https://youtu.be/JiDK7oAuh3c?t=2091