Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243 LastLast

Thread: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

....Looks like he has a video that goes with that announcement now. It's a full commercial. 🤣

I think he does use tracks plus Autotune. Heck, the tracks are probably autotuned too!

And as far as his humility or lack thereof - I think and will always think his need for affirmation comes as a defense mechanism from his insecurity and him being passive-aggressive to our guys (Glenn, Don, Tim, Joe, etc.). Little man syndrome. I mean he wrote "You Don't Have Me". He was never happy that Glenn Frey had everything he wanted and embodied everything he wasn't. The constant comparisons really made him have some type of a victim complex and he felt he was being cheated by not singing VOL or more material. I mean Visions is pretty much of the Eagles worst tracks. I think GF and DH were more than fair in giving him a chance to sing. It didn't end well!

The sad thing is his own talent can stand on it's own damn two feet without the bravado. He's a masterful musician and he's a brilliant writer of musical parts. The fact he can't sing and that he's not an extroverted charismatic frontman is no fault of his own. And hey, Glenn wasn't the level of player Felder was either although being an underrated guitarist himself. Felder had brought something of value to the band when he joined. His contributions are not in any way shape or form minor or insignficant. He's a freaking rockstar and revered guitar player. But that isn't now and will never be enough for him. It's sad to see one of your heroes behave like this in his 70s. He will never change.

He really sank his own boat in the Eagles and he sank his own boat in the minds of people and Eagles fans with his behavior that started back in the 70s and that he is still doing to this very day. The Don Felder at Wrong Beach is still very much the Don Felder of today. Childish, petty, insecure, and vindictive. While it doesn't make him any less of a player, it does dampen his overall image and certainly my view on him has changed over the years. It's unfortunate. I think a lot of Eagles history would have been different had he changed his ways before the HFO reunion. And while Don and Glenn were feeling burnt out after The Long Run, I do blame the band's breaking up in the 70s on Felder in part. I think that was easier to tolerate though than his HFO and onward behavior. I'm glad that Glenn made the difficult choice to remove him from the band vs another breakup as the band had a good run after his departure that we wouldn't have had otherwise as well as the Long Road Out Of Eden album and the tours after he left. But maybe, just maybe, had he cleaned his act up the Eagles would have put out more music (with Felder!), done more tours, etc. Glenn and Don weren't saints. But they grew up!

Stuck on the Border

Yeah, he was GREAT as a guitarist/co-writer in Eagles. He's still a GREAT guitarist That alone is so much more than most of us who play could ever be. No ridiculous pre-concert announcements needed.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Yeah, he was GREAT as a guitarist/co-writer in Eagles. He's still a GREAT guitarist That alone is so much more than most of us who play could ever be. No ridiculous pre-concert announcements needed.
    Exactly chaim.

It's sad and unfortunate that wasn't enough for him but that he felt like he had to wear all the hats and I genuinely think he spent the majority of his mental capacity while he was in the band comparing himself to Glenn and then after the band resenting it. He feels like he was the whole package or at least really wanted to be. And he wasn't. But he had something that Glenn didn't have in terms of guitar chops. He had more talent than most people walking earth. Very very rarely do you have someone who can truly do it all. Play like Felder while also able to sing as good as Don or Glenn and be entertaining or as charming as Glenn or Joe. I think he always wanted to be the triple threat but he didn't realize there are people like us that would do anything to just have what he did. He didn't have to do it all. He was enough. And most of us would be more than content!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Well, Don F hasn't actually SUNG live for years, you know. 😄

Glenn and TITTL...I've heard that Glenn was once interviewed on the radio and there was a piano in the room. The interviewer asked him something about TITTL (maybe asked Glenn to play some of it?). Glenn said that he should be able to play it on the piano since he wrote it on a piano. Then he played it. Does anybody remember this? Is there an audio? I've never heard it, I've only heard ABOUT it.
    chaim - Sorry, but I don't recall ever hearing an interview like the one you described here. I sure would love to hear it though. And with regard to Felder, it seems to me that he is unable to appreciate the gifts he has and be content and grateful. Instead his insecurities seem to continue to manifest themselves. Such a shame!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I read in a guitar magazine a while back that they thought Joe and Don were the best guitar duo around and that was not counting Hotel CA. They loved the way they would play off each other. They had two different playing styles but could play so well together. Don's playing style and Joe's musical style made a heck of a team. Not only in the Eagles but when Don played with Joe after the breakup. One thing they liked was the way either one of them could just attack a solo but then step back and let the other play. They both were great players individually but when they played together they were way above others.
    I knew a guy who work on the stage for the first HFO trial. He said how Joe and Don would get playing and it was on... Everything stopped till they got done. He said it was too bad they couldn't do it in the show. No singing but the strings were afire. It was like to little kids with anything you can do I can do better

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
    I read in a guitar magazine a while back that they thought Joe and Don were the best guitar duo around and that was not counting Hotel CA. They loved the way they would play off each other. They had two different playing styles but could play so well together. Don's playing style and Joe's musical style made a heck of a team. Not only in the Eagles but when Don played with Joe after the breakup. One thing they liked was the way either one of them could just attack a solo but then step back and let the other play. They both were great players individually but when they played together they were way above others.
    I knew a guy who work on the stage for the first HFO trial. He said how Joe and Don would get playing and it was on... Everything stopped till they got done. He said it was too bad they couldn't do it in the show. No singing but the strings were afire. It was like to little kids with anything you can do I can do better
    That HFO situation must have been a beautiful thing to witness. Personally I've never understood why they had Don F and Joe in the band, but didn't let them "go crazy" together more, especially on albums. Felder does have phenomenal guitar parts on Eagles albums and Joe even has some beautiful keyboard parts, but what they had as a duo seems a bit like well-kept secret to me. 😅 There are things I still dislike about Felder and I still tend to say it sometimes, but as a guitarist he'll get zero complaints from me.

Stuck on the Border

As an addition to my previous post....Actually Felder himself doesn't really irritate me as much these days as the people who keep saying he's very humble and he still sings great and at the same breath bash Glenn and Don H. I see those comments every time I see a Felder video on YouTube. Felder is ok. He's just not humble and he doesn't sing, it's a track.

Stuck on the Border

35:40 - 37-30. If all that he says is true, then why the intro tape about Grammys, Hall Of Fame and stuff? 🤣

https://youtu.be/IZPShguBOqU?si=9C1SBu1sPYYImNXy

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I think that this must be who he is. He does this kind of thing a lot in his book. He often goes into long rants about something that happened and then ends it with something along the lines of 'but it really didn't matter to me'. Really?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016