Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Out on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Maybe he couldn't do those high wails in the middle of Witchy Woman, but they don't have to be there.
    Don actually can do them live (they're somewhat out of tune, but he's capable of hitting the notes).

https://youtu.be/VzO6KHm2MBk?t=116

His voice is not the best, but its range is somewhat impressive. He can go all the way down to a low D on the Seven Bridges Road bass vocal and then do these high wails in (somewhat) full voice. I really think he could have been a good singer if he worked on his voice. He certainly has an ear for singing as evidenced by the vocal way in which he phrases a lot of his guitar playing.

I definitely agree with what you said about rather hearing live vocals. Joe Walsh sings out of tune frequently--so much so that I think they took his voice out of the mix in more recent Eagles shows. You can hear Joe singing his harmonies flat in the 1970s; he apparently often doubled with Felder on songs like Lyin' Eyes, etc. which had only 4 vocal lines in the chorus, but apparently Joe and Don were singing the same part.

https://youtu.be/6NGnIBYBCPg?t=85

Yet, when Joe does solo concerts, he sings live, and no one really seems to mind. Glenn sang extremely out of tune towards the end of his life and still apparently did solo shows without pitch correction on his voice. Deacon doesn't sing any better to my ear. Now Henley is starting to sing out of tune too.

Lest people think this criticism is undue, I love the Eagles, and would probably have not learned to sing harmony if it were not for them. In the '70s, they really could sing wonderfully in tune together (for example, the Seven Bridges Rd. video in the Eagles doc.). So as a musician, but also as a fan, I'm disappointed that their vocal standard both individually (except Tim can still sing well in tune) and together when they sing harmony has gone down to the extent that they have to use live autotune and have backing musicians doubling their vocal parts (you can clearly hear the live autotune in the Forum 2018 concert).

Then again, I too hope to be able to sing somewhat in tune if/when I reach my mid-70s...but, on the other hand, Ray Charles, Billy Joel, Styx, etc. could still manage it at that age, so...
    Last edited by thebagels; 02-24-2021 at 03:37 AM.

I have to disagree the bagels. I saw them in February 2020 at MSG and I didn’t hear auto tune at all. Have their voices changed sure, they are in their 70s. Maybe there is some post production on the 2018 live at forum as one would expect on live cds, but I seriously doubt auto tune. And to say Any of the guys sing out of tune frequently is a bit drastic no?

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by KingWalsh View Post
    I saw them in February 2020 at MSG and I didn’t hear auto tune at all. Have their voices changed sure, they are in their 70s. Maybe there is some post production on the 2018 live at forum as one would expect on live cds, but I seriously doubt auto tune. And to say Any of the guys sing out of tune frequently is a bit drastic no?
    We can agree to disagree. I should have clarified too that I don't hear live autotune during verses, but I hear it during choruses where there are lots of harmonies. Pitch correction in post-production is autotune.

Felder does actually sing out of tune frequently. If you find videos of him actually singing live, he doesn't stay in tune very well. Surprisingly, he actually sang Hotel California tunefully at the R&R HOF a little over a year ago when the "Play it Loud" exhibit moved there.

Joe sings out of tune frequently as well. If you listen to any video (not a studio recording) of him singing live, he isn't always in tune. He has also gone more out of tune since the 70s.

I feel that Glenn was good at staying in tune until the mid-2000s. I remember seeing a 2007 Eagles news story in which they were all sitting around in the "Circle of Fear" doing the new version of "How Long." Glenn's voice cracked audibly on "rock yourself to sleep." I was surprised that they left that line in the news broadcast. After 2007, Glenn became even more pitchy. Of course, he was sick, and I have to commend him for continuing to perform if nothing else.

Henley is starting to go out of tune on the high notes. This can be heard on any live song (like Witchy Woman) where he needs to sing high.

Somehow, Tim still sounds very similar to the way he did on HFO imo. I want two of whatever he's eating.

Given all of these factors, it is very hard for me to believe that they can sing harmonies literally perfectly in tune now, but cannot hold pitch consistently when they sing solo, especially when they could not harmonize that well in tune in the 70s. The HC-era "Seven Bridges Road" backstage video is truly one of the greatest live vocal performances ever captured imo, but Joe sings his baritone part just a little bit flat. It's not a criticism either; there will be some amount of human error when harmonies are sung totally live. That is natural; the ideal is just to minimize the error. But suddenly, when we hear the Eagles doing SBR in 2020, they are so in tune that overtones are produced. Something doesn't add up.

Again, I love the Eagles. But when truly pioneering rock bands like CSN, Poco, Buffalo Springfield, etc. can sing live, warts and all, and work very hard for a fraction of the money, so too should the Eagles imo.

We will agree to disagree. I don’t believe they are using auto tune post production. Added vocals perhaps but I do not hear the digitized effect auto tune gives. Voice cracking is not out of tune issue in my opinion. I don’t think any singer is perfectly in tune all the time and don’t expect that. Many older stars have a hard time hitting higher notes and will actually sing the song in a different key to compensate for that, perhaps other artists you mentioned might do that. Regardless, I think the term frequently is drastic in this case. I do not believe Joe, Don or Glenn are frequently out of tune. Their voices have changed with age. I have watched many live videos of the boys throughout the years and have to disagree. I saw them live 2020 and will stick to my guns no auto tune.

Stuck on the Border

This pitch thing is an interesting subject. It would be cool if it could have a topic of its own without anyone feeling that the Eagles are being bashed as singers. Especially when people get older, there tends to be some pitch issues, so it's normal. (Paul Stanley sang out a lot until he started to lip sync.)

The Eagles have always been a great vocal band and everybody knows that. If they were not always perfectly in tune even in the 70's (like was suggested above), I don't think it takes anything away from their greatness. This would be an interesting subject as a neutral discussion without a "good singer - bad singer" thing.

Out on the Border

A live show from the Greek Theater in 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiDK7oAuh3c

Out on the Border

Don singing "Take It Easy" live with a different band for a private party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSdh0QiDkQ0

Thanks for sharing

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thebagels View Post
    Don singing "Take It Easy" live with a different band for a private party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSdh0QiDkQ0
    That really IS live. No autotune either. When was this? His vocal is way out of tune here and there and that is perfectly ok. In fact I love it. I very much prefer this to the pre-recorded/autotuned robotic, 100% perfectly executed vocal performances.

I always mention it when I hear Don sing live, but clips like this (if this is recent) prove that he COULD sing live, if he didn't want so badly to be a spot-on, perfect singer every night.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    That really IS live. No autotune either. When was this? His vocal is way out of tune here and there and that is perfectly ok. In fact I love it. I very much prefer this to the pre-recorded/autotuned robotic, 100% perfectly executed vocal performances.

I always mention it when I hear Don sing live, but clips like this (if this is recent) prove that he COULD sing live, if he didn't want so badly to be a spot-on, perfect singer every night.
    Well, sure. I agree. When a singer is in their 70s, no one should expect perfection, including the artist. People are coming to hear Don's incredible playing, anyway.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."