Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
I don't know anything about guitars and was surprised to hear that they duplicate the dents and scratches!
Gibson and Fender do that a lot. They will take a guitarist's number one guitar, examine it inch by inch, taking tons of photos, and measuring everything and listening to it's sound. Then they can have their builder in the custom shop duplicate it to an exact T. Gibson has done it for Jimmy Page, Billy Gibbons, Mike Bloomfield, Angus Young, etc and Fender has done it for Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, John Mayer, Keith Richards, etc.

It's pretty cool but way overpriced (at 10 thou). I sent a nice email to the head of the custom shop at Gibson asking them to do a lower priced model (2-3k) for those of us that are Felder fans and can't afford it. They said no. These will be bought by rich collectors and they will probably hang on a wall in a glass case never to be played, just to be looked at. That is one of my biggest guitar pet peeves. It's not a painting, PLAY IT! Yes, they do look nice but if you just want something to stare at you can buy some nice paintings or art for the same dough. But oh well, it's Gibson. The biggest overpriced guitars as of current-times. Fender is much more reasonable with their prices. They themselves can get overpriced but no where near Gibson.

I think if they did a Don Felder signature model in the 1-3k range and they don't have to be exact like the 10k ones, just give me a guitar with the same top design and sound as Felder's original. Now I would buy that.

I'm still waiting for a JW sig but I think we'd see a JW Fender guitar before we would a JW Gibson guitar. He and Gibson "got into it" in the late 90s and he rarely plays Les Pauls anymore, where as in the early days that was his favorite instrument. I do know though he is playing lots of new Fenders so maybe we will see a signature Strat or Tele soon. I will be waiting for one!