Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

The Sweetwater interview with Don is great. I just wish he'd acknowledge Glenn as a guitar player even just once without someone dragging it out of him, like with the straight question "Did you play the I Can't Tell You Why solo on the album?". The interviewer mentions the harmony guitars on One Of These Nights. IMO it would've been nice if Don had mentioned that it's Glenn doing them on the album. Instead he starts to talk about how "I played this and I played that guitar on Hotel California".

By the way, wasn't it Glenn in the book who wanted the new introduction to HC and not Don H?
    Last edited by chaim; 12-18-2014 at 06:18 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    The Sweetwater interview with Don is great. I just wish he'd acknowledge Glenn as a guitar player even just once without someone dragging it out of him, like with the straight question "Did you play the I Can't Tell You Why solo on the album?". The interviewer mentions the harmony guitars on One Of These Nights. IMO it would've been nice if Don had mentioned that it's Glenn doing them on the album. Instead he starts to talk about how "I played this and I played that guitar on Hotel California".

And I do not agree with him in that only people who've become successful have the ability to reach people emotionally with music or other arts. Not everyone who's talented becomes successful, because they may not meet the right people, or have the drive to push it further. There's also luck involved. Or maybe I misunderstood him there.

By the way, wasn't in Glenn in the book who wanted the new introduction to HC and not Don H?
    Page 258.

People who keep hoping in their wildest dreams for a reconcilation should consider that Don Felder will never acknowledge that Glenn Frey has even a modicum of talent. You say you wish he'd talk about Glenn's guiitar work; it's the singing he utterly refuses to even mention.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Page 258.

People who keep hoping in their wildest dreams for a reconcilation should consider that Don Felder will never acknowledge that Glenn Frey has even a modicum of talent. You say you wish he'd talk about Glenn's guiitar work; it's the singing he utterly refuses to even mention.
    Yes, the singing. Of course. But sometimes I'm a little sick of this "Don Felder and Joe Walsh the guitar players" stuff. Bernie is mentioned too, of course. But Glenn is not, unless it's Glenn himself or Henley. I realize that Glenn may not be in the same league as those other guys, but he has recorded enough memorable and essential guitar parts for the Eagles to be mentioned once in a while. When the interviewer asks about the harmonies on OOTD, Don doesn't mention that Glenn did (most if not all of) them in the studio. Instead he says that they had himself, Glenn and Bernie to produce stuff like that live. But then he explains how he did all those guitars on HC and he had to have a double-neck to reproduce them live. No one has any doubt that Don Felder is a fantastic guitar player. Glenn too has said this many times.
    Don F seems such a lovable guy. I just wish that he'd downplay his own role just a little bit sometimes, because the listeners/readers who are not Eagles diehards may get the picture that Don F was the main composer and arranger in the band.

Stuck on the Border

I disagree that Felder is 'lovable' but I will go no further than that.

As a Glenn fan I suppose it doesn't really bother me at this stage that his guitar playing is ignored; I'm so used to that now that I shrug it off. As I said, it is when his singing is ignored or never mentioned that I get annoyed, and Felder, who these days happily sings songs like PEF & TIE on which he didn't even play, does not refer to Glenn's vocal abliities ONCE in his book. Even in HOTE he had to get in the crack during the VOL segment about how Henley was a better singer than everyone else in the band (and yes, I am well aware that this statement does seem to reflect many opinons, if not mine).

In any case regarding the song OOTN I thought Glenn's main contribution was the piano part. He plays guitar on it now, but I wasn't aware he did on the record.

The fact is a lot of people who sided with Felder decided to take at face value Felder's views on Glenn as a musician & a person & when they saw HOTE their prejudices were confirmed. They never tried to see it from Glenn's perspective. All they saw was how Felder had been 'wronged'.

Stuck on the Border

These days Don F doesn't mention Glenn at all as a guitar player, but I remember that interview from the OOTN era, where he talked about OOTN and said "after Glenn does the introduction", referring to guitars. It was probably twenty years ago when I saw that interview, but I remember that well. And Glenn had done harmonies before, like in the Out Of Control solo.
    A couple of years ago I asked Don about this on his Q&A page, because I suspected that Glenn played all those harmonized guitars in Too Many Hands too. I asked about those two songs. Don's answer was that in those days he and Glenn tended to do the harmony parts. Now, if at this point Don even mentions Glenn in this context, Glenn must have played quite a lot of those!
    The harmony parts in OOTN were overdubbed later anyway, so whoever played them played something else on the basic tracks. On the basic tracks Don and Bernie were on rhythm guitars and Glenn on piano unless I'm very much mistaken. After that Glenn added harmonized guitars. I'm not saying that Don didn't play some of those. Maybe he did. But before I hear otherwise I suspect that they're all Glenn.
    As for Too Many Hands, there's not a rhythm guitar part in the song that screams "Glenn!" to me. On the other hand it's very unlikely that Bernie played any of the harmonies. So I've always suspected that Glenn must be doing the harmonized lead guitars in the choruses. Don's response supported my assumption that Glenn was heavily involved with all of that.

Stuck on the Border

You'll hate me for this, but Felder does mention Glenn's voice twice in his book and both are derogatory. For the "The Girl From Yesterday" he repeats a comment he attributes to Henley that "any country singer could sing it better" and then later he writes that "I love to Watch a Woman Dance" wasn't at all right for Glenn's R&B voice.

I believe it's just Felder getting revenge for the years in which he was "browbeaten into believing" his own voice was "mediocre at best".

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    You'll hate me for this, but Felder does mention Glenn's voice twice in his book and both are derogatory. For the "The Girl From Yesterday" he repeats a comment he attributes to Henley that "any country singer could sing it better" and then later he writes that "I love to Watch a Woman Dance" wasn't at all right for Glenn's R&B voice.

I believe it's just Felder getting revenge for the years in which he was "browbeaten into believing" his own voice was "mediocre at best".
    I could find no reference to either ILTWAWD or the LROOE album in Heaven & Hell.

The reference to TGFY is on page 252. Yeah, the song was so bad that it was still being performed in December 1995 when I saw them, unlike the much vaunted Get Over It.

He makes another reference that TTITL was no good without Randy singing it on page 308.

I definitely consider Glenn a great musician and amazing rhythm guitar player, IMO he's the Keef of the guitar part of the band and holds that up very well. And I love the few solos he's done on WW, AG, and ICTYW, my favorite being ICTYW.

As far as him as a person, I don't know him but I do probably side more with Felder as far as the way he was treated and his portrayal of events on HOTE.

But in no way do I believe by any stretch that Glenn was a subpar player or singer in general or in comparison to his bandmates. Sure Henley is my favorite singer (of any band I might add), but I love TIE, PEF, AG, ATTIG, NKIT, HT and think he does a great job on those songs. I also believe he should have not been so hard on himself as a singer in comparison to Henley.

Stuck on the Border

The ILTWAWD reference is in Chapter 18 where he's describing their attempts to record in 1999. Sorry, I don't have page numbers.

Sorry, i'm going OT and I'm feeling bad about it. The Don in the recent video interview is a lot more likeable than the one in the book. I guess he's just happier and more fulfilled.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 12-18-2014 at 06:36 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I definitely consider Glenn a great musician and amazing rhythm guitar player, IMO he's the Keef of the guitar part of the band and holds that up very well. And I love the few solos he's done on WW, AG, and ICTYW, my favorite being ICTYW.

As far as him as a person, I don't know him but I do probably side more with Felder as far as the way he was treated and his portrayal of events on HOTE.

But in no way do I believe by any stretch that Glenn was a subpar player or singer in general or in comparison to his bandmates. Sure Henley is my favorite singer (of any band I might add), but I love TIE, PEF, AG, ATTIG, NKIT, HT and think he does a great job on those songs. I also believe he should have not been so hard on himself as a singer in comparison to Henley.
    I, on the other hand, tend to get too angry when I see/hear Don F talking only about his own contributions in interviews. It's not Don's fault after all that interviewers never discuss guitar stuff with Glenn!