Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

I personally don't mind that he plays songs live he had nothing to do with when recorded. I just don't like his singing. But he can play any Eagles song for me.

But as far as playing Tequila Sunrise and PEF and such, I say bring it on. He played them live enough times for him to have that privilege. I just wish he found a singer or two that can do them justice. But still, Felder should play ALL Eagles material IMO and has every right to do so. And I personally "hate" Visions. YMMV.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I appreciate that Don performs and dedicates Tequila Sunrise to Glenn in his shows now. However, as a general rule, I have always preferred he not perform Eagles songs that were recorded before he joined the band. JMHO, but I feel he should stick to Eagles songs that he was involved in writing or recording. To me, Visions would be a good choice.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I personally don't mind that he plays songs live he had nothing to do with when recorded. I just don't like his singing. But he can play any Eagles song for me.

But as far as playing Tequila Sunrise and PEF and such, I say bring it on. He played them live enough times for him to have that privilege. I just wish he found a singer or two that can do them justice. But still, Felder should play ALL Eagles material IMO and has every right to do so. And I personally "hate" Visions. YMMV.
    I just don’t think he should sing Tequila sunrise. An acoustic based song with a focus on harmony and such I don’t think fits his strength as a musician. He should keep uptempo stuff. PEF has some cool lead guitar albeit country but has some guitar playing for him to do. It’s more about fit than connection. That’s my issue

I think it would be great if he added Visions to his setlist. What’s concerning though is that he wouldn’t sound like does on the original recording. I’m sure if the audience didn’t respond well to his renditions of PEF or Tequila Sunrise, he would have dropped them long ago. If i’m not mistaken, he’s on hiatus until October, when he starts touring again. Maybe he’ll revamp his setlist by then.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

"Visions" might be better in terms of it being "his" song but to jump off of Delilah's comment about audience response - "Visions" is something that a lot of people wouldn't know. Remember that a lot of Eagles fans listen to the Greatest Hits a heck of a lot more than they listen to the studio albums, barring Hotel California. Still, I think he should do it anyway. Claim your song, man! If you don't, no one will!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I haven't checked recent clips, but he has lip-synced an awful lot. This suggests that he doesn't think he can sing well enough live. And therefore there's a reason to hire a singer who CAN do it. But I guess in some songs his guitar part isn't so prominent, so it would be weird to be playing a not-so-essential guitar part (Tequila Sunrise, for example) when someone else is singing. Perhaps he wants to have some kind of a lead role in every song since he's a solo performer. I would understand such reasoning.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I haven't checked recent clips, but he has lip-synced an awful lot. This suggests that he doesn't think he can sing well enough live. And therefore there's a reason to hire a singer who CAN do it. But I guess in some songs his guitar part isn't so prominent, so it would be weird to be playing a not-so-essential guitar part (Tequila Sunrise, for example) when someone else is singing. Perhaps he wants to have some kind of a lead role in every song since he's a solo performer. I would understand such reasoning.

Steve Hackett manages OK on that front. But then Steve Hackett has a great deal more material to work with, including his own solo career which unlike Felder, he doesn't push aside. One thing to remember about Felder is he doesn't have much to choose from.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I know this is pretty late, but I’m not a big fan of Don singing tequila sunrise. I just don’t see a reason for him to play that song. He should dust off Visions. I know a lot of people don’t know/ don’t like the song but I like it and at least he wrote and sang it.

Well, I am one of those people who are not a fan of "Visions". I don't care for his version of TS. I think it is nice that he dedicates the song to Glenn but, like Dreamer, I don't think he should be performing songs that were recorded before he joined the band. Don is one of the best guitarists in rock. However, he is only an average singer. Like others have said, he should hire a lead singer. I have a friend who saw him and his band in concert not too long ago. He loved his guitar playing but was not overwhelmed by his singing. He said it was an enjoyable show.

Stuck on the Border

There's a clip on YouTube where the vocal "tape" is out of sync with the band when the last verse of TIE starts. Felder reacts immediately and sings the rest of the song live. A note or two is slightly out of tune (so what?), but he sings just fine. Perhaps he doesn't have enough confidence to sing live these days, or he can't sing a full show. But I'd rather hear a raw, occasionally out of tune performance than an obviously autotuned tape that is exactly the same every time. He doesn't have to pretend to be a perfect vocalist (like he really could hit those high notes perfectly every time in WW - although he gets praise for it), he's a GUITARIST.

EDIT:

As for Don playing Eagles songs he didn't record, I guess it's more ok than Ray Wilson performing old Genesis songs he didn't even perform live with the band!
    Last edited by chaim; 05-29-2018 at 04:39 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Steve Hackett manages OK on that front. But then Steve Hackett has a great deal more material to work with, including his own solo career which unlike Felder, he doesn't push aside. One thing to remember about Felder is he doesn't have much to choose from.
    Yeah, Steve's been singing since his first solo album, so he has tons of material to play and sing.