Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243 LastLast

Thread: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don Felder videos on YouTube and other video sites

Quote Originally Posted by thebagels View Post
    Apparently, he's not even trying to hide it anymore.

https://youtu.be/IR5gJgoGNaY?t=168
    What happened there? Did the sound guy mute Don's vocal track after a couple of words when he noticed Don's not even near the mic?

EDIT:

I see he's been using the same track for years at least for LITFL. Listen to all these performances phrase by phrase from "She said listen baby..." to the chorus. It's so obvious.

From 2:51 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8pJNQADIiY

From 34:26 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiDK7oAuh3c&t=2091s

From 2:50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chApuGnLloU

Not sure I'd even mind him lip-syncing if people knew it. But it's always been irritating to see comments like "His singing sounds great. Don Henley isn't what he used to be blablabla."
    Last edited by chaim; 08-12-2021 at 08:39 AM.

Stuck on the Border

I think that introducing The Long Run with the comment about his life might be a tongue-in-cheek thing.

Stuck on the Border

To say something positive for a change, he's still got it as a player. That soloing at the end was very tasty. And he's always a very tasteful dresser!
    Last edited by chaim; 08-12-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Out on the Border

Still a great player, chaim. But that's why I've felt his ability is pretty much wasted in his current group.

This is the worst one, fwiw. I'm actually shocked that he let this happen because it's just so obvious.

https://youtu.be/wcZ2I9jqxx8?t=323

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thebagels View Post
    Still a great player, chaim. But that's why I've felt his ability is pretty much wasted in his current group.

This is the worst one, fwiw. I'm actually shocked that he let this happen because it's just so obvious.

https://youtu.be/wcZ2I9jqxx8?t=323
    Perhaps the sound guy's supposed to mute the vocal track whenever Don's not near the microphone during a vocal section, but he failed to do so here. There was that one HT performance where Don's vocal part was several beats off during the intro.

I wonder if the backing vocals - or at least some of them - are/have been live in Don's performances. When Don does Seven Bridges Road, it's quite a performance if every singer lip-syncs!

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Perhaps the sound guy's supposed to mute the vocal track whenever Don's not near the microphone during a vocal section, but he failed to do so here. There was that one HT performance where Don's vocal part was several beats off during the intro.

I wonder if the backing vocals - or at least some of them - are/have been live in Don's performances. When Don does Seven Bridges Road, it's quite a performance if every singer lip-syncs!
    I think that's what's going on based on the TIE video as you speculated earlier. We hear Don's vocal cut off suddenly in the TIE video, and it's muted until he gets back to the mic.

I'm fairly certain the backing vocals in TIE aren't live because there are only two other vocal parts, yet three people are singing. Also, the last "ooo" was inaudible, but we could see the guys on stage singing "ooo" into the mic.

I would be willing to bet that everyone is actually singing, but the audience does not hear what is going into the mics. There are performances of SBR and other songs where I can distinctly hear Kasim Sulton or Jeff Coffey's vocal.

Such obvious lipsyncing really makes me wonder why there's no real controversy over what Don is doing. Similar allegations of lip-syncing almost killed Journey until they found Arnel Pineda.

It looks like Don might have a new keyboard player. Who is it?

I think that introducing The Long Run with the comment about his life might be a tongue-in-cheek thing.
    Perhaps, but it just seems so icky. If it was a joke, perhaps he needs to work on his delivery! I love a good joke. But this fell flat with me, even watching it again now. Or else he might want to just stick to the music part of the entertainment business and stay in his lane which is playing the guitar (ie, not comedy!). Maybe it's just lost on me...

It's like how he will inadvertently take credit for the ICTYW solo if someone compliments him on a great solo by not correcting them. You have to literally pin him down and ask who actually recorded it to get him to say it was Glenn's solo. But if you just assume it was Don, and praise him for it, he's all in. Of course his retort might be "well, I assumed they meant how well I executed it live...". I find Don's narcissism while calling Glenn and DH narcissists very ugly and not at all appropriate for a man in his 70s. Be humble!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

To say something positive for a change, he's still got it as a player. That soloing at the end was very tasty. And he's always a very tasteful dresser!
    He's certainly never let me down in that department. Still consider him a guitar hero and an inspiration. He can play as good as ever. Walsh had a greater impact on me as a hero but Felder was right there behind him.

It's Felder the person that has left me feeling more than disappointed.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Perhaps, but it just seems so icky. If it was a joke, perhaps he needs to work on his delivery! I love a good joke. But this fell flat with me, even watching it again now. Or else he might want to just stick to the music part of the entertainment business and stay in his lane which is playing the guitar (ie, not comedy!). Maybe it's just lost on me...

It's like how he will inadvertently take credit for the ICTYW solo if someone compliments him on a great solo by not correcting them. You have to literally pin him down and ask who actually recorded it to get him to say it was Glenn's solo. But if you just assume it was Don, and praise him for it, he's all in. Of course his retort might be "well, I assumed they meant how well I executed it live...". I find Don's narcissism while calling Glenn and DH narcissists very ugly and not at all appropriate for a man in his 70s. Be humble!
    It's probably more like wishful thinking on my part. He certainly doesn't seem like a guy who can make even a little bit of fun of himself.

EDIT:

Watched it again. He did sort of laugh after saying that.
    Last edited by chaim; 08-13-2021 at 03:08 PM.

It's probably more like wishful thinking on my part. He certainly doesn't seem like a guy who can make even a little bit of fun of himself.

EDIT:

Watched it again. He did sort of laugh after saying that.
    He's about as dry as the toast I had two mornings ago. With the charisma of a wet mop to boot. And honestly maybe that's selling wet mops short a bit.

Man oh man if he'd only just play his damn guitar and get a singer for his band. Or better yet, do a 180 and perhaps look into doing some guitar clinics, instructional videos, TrueFire courses, Skype lessons (yes, they'd be the most expensive ever, but...), or doing some session work or something. He clearly can play guitar. The singing and the MC'ing need serious work and is not doable IMO. Best use those strengths to their fullest. Maybe do some videos for guitar brands again, tour and do clinics, etc etc. Or if you are committed to live shows, invest in a singer. Please put a little bit of ego aside and do that much. You can still stand in the center like you always wished you could have in the Eagles, and do the talking (although I'd prefer not ), but get a great singer who can do DH material very well. And surely one of the other band guys is a competent singer.

I'd love to see Felder PLAY like this again live. Not as a frontman talking to the crowd, and certainly not singing the music. As great of a player as he is, I don't think I can sit through another show of his and deal with the singing and off-putting stage presence enough to be able to hear it. I don't regret going to see him once, so I could see him play. But I think it might be different the second time around.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger