Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April Fool's 2008: Eagles Mentions in Stevie Nicks' book

Default April Fool's 2008: Eagles Mentions in Stevie Nicks' book

Well guys, I just got a copy of Stevie Nicks' autobiography The Gypsy That I Was at Border's yesterday, and I've stayed up all night reading it. It's got some surprising revelations about the Eagles! Warning - some of this is pretty shocking!

We know Stevie and Don had a relationship in the 70s. What we didn't know before is that they still had occasional "intimate moments" right up until the early nineties, every time the two were in town together. No wonder they were always doing each other's benefits!

Stevie confesses that "Leather and Lace" was inspired by Don's tendency to want to "play cowboy." He apparently kept his clothes from the Desperado photo shoot and would bring them out every now and then. He especially liked to wear the leather gunbelt and holler, 'YEE-HAH!" at key moments. "I have to admit, he looked incredibly sexy in his cowboy outfit," Stevie writes. This also inspired her song "The Highwayman."

She also takes credit for Don shaving off his facial hair. "I had called him Lindsey one too many times."

We know that Don and Glenn lived together in 1975 and that they were the "odd couple" - Don neat, Glenn messy. Well, apparently that also applied to personal hygiene. Stevie writes that she could smell Glenn coming from a mile away. "You can tell by the smell when Frey's around," was a common joke among band insiders.

Stevie debunks the myth that she hit on Glenn and he refused. She says that was all a result of mistaken identity. It was his first night opening for Fleetwood Mac in 1982, and he was hanging around backstage afterwards. She was high and mistook him for a male groupie. Apparently this offended him and he stalked off. She defends herself by saying, "I hadn't watched his set and I didn't know that he had cut his hair and started wearing suits. I didn't know that he had started bathing regularly. I was high and confused. I've since apologized and we're cool."

Stevie also writes that at the City of Hope Benefit in 1982, former lover Lindsey Buckingham was absolutely furious that he had to play guitar in the background while Stevie and Don sang "Leather and Lace." He is quoted as saying, "I could barely keep from projectile vomiting as they sang that sappy schlock to each other." Afterwards, when Lindsey bumped into Henley backstage, they got into a shoving match. Glenn and Joe, who had opened for Fleetwood Mac, were also backstage. They cheered Don on and taunted Lindsey, yelling things like, "Anyone with a name like 'Lindsey Buckingham' has got to fight like a girl!" Luckily, the altercation ended when Mick Fleetwood pulled out his incredibly large cocaine bag, effectively distracting everyone in the room and breaking up the fight.

Timothy B. Schmit appears as well. Stevie says it was her fault he cut his hair in 1983. "He came up to my LA show while I was touring for 'The Wild Heart.' I saw him talking with Joe, my opening act at the time. I didn't realize it was him. I admit, I can get a little jealous, and I was high as usual... I immediately ran up to Joe demanding to know who his new ladyfriend was. When I saw it was Timothy, I was mortified. Even though I apologized, before you knew it, he had short hair. It MUST have been because of me."

This one really shocked me - Joe and Stevie were actually MARRIED in a Vegas chapel after a night of doing coke and drinking back in 1983. They got it annulled as soon as they sobered up so "it doesn't count." Guess that makes Joe 0 for 4!

Fascinating stuff!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

The Eagles are also in some photos in the book:

Don the Cowboy:

Her understandable confusion about Lindsey and Don, causing Don to finally shave:

Felder and Randy desperately try to avoid sharing a table with smelly Glenn on the plane:

Stevie and Don at the City of Hope Benefit, before violence erupted:

Stevie and Joe just prior to their wedding (he is helping her to stand without teetering):

Tim's new look, thanks to Stevie:

Thought you might like to see the cover:

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I was wondering what you'd do this year Soda, but this is INCREDIBLE!! Well done and happy AFD!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I added some pictures, too, GA! lol

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Just seen them Soda! They're great! Well done!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Great job, Soda--that made my morning!

And I set you up for this perfectly when I shared bits of Steve Martin's real book yesterday!

YEE-HAH!

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Good one

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I guess I must admit I fell hook, line and sinker! I was reading all of this and thinking "oh my gosh, I can't believe Stevie is telling this stuff!"

You bad girl, Soda! Good one!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Brooke, those very same words came to me!! (I confess I got quite intrigued about the cowboy business! )

Brilliant, Soda, absolutely love it!!!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

Good heavens, Soda, that was brilliant.

What a relief that Glenn now 'bathes regularly'!

It's funny.... last night the iPod played Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You. Now I know she really meant Has Anyone Ever Married You For Five Minutes.

And for Don's 'actiivites'....