Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts ...

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Today’s random thoughts…. Keep in mind that I LOVE Glenny boy. However, I want to know, exactly when did he become a good ‘ol southern boy? I mean, he hails from the Midwest, and lives in CA… so how the heck did he adapt that southern country accent? I was watching him on YouTube (sorry Don, but you tube just makes me love you all more)… and when Glen is doing intro’s of the band, he sounds so southern. Also, even his singing has a some twang in it. OMG, he really is morphing into Johnny Cash!

Another random thought… isn’t is sweet that you see so many pictures of Timothy with him leaning his head on someones shoulder? He just looks so sweet and peaceful all the time. Also, after he sings lead on one of his songs live, he softly ends with “thank you” as everyone is applauding him. That just makes me melt. He seems really happy.

Last random thought for now… I can’t get enough of WITW’s today! Don is certainly a lyrical genius!

Oh wait... one more thought... Cindy Frey is one of the luckiest women on Earth. She's beautiful, she can dance, she has lovely children and of course, she has Glenn... sigh...

LOL, LTL! You certainly have those thoughts coming on thick and fast.

I have to question one thing you wrote: doesn't Glenn officially reside in Aspen, Colorado, rather than in California? I have noticed the southern element to his accent, but oh boy, how I love it! I am no expert on North American dialects, so I don't know how a Detroit boy should sound, but with the way Glenn sounds, it matters very little... sigh... I really don't see the Johnny Cash comparison, though! Glenn reminds me of Elvis on occasion, with both his hairstyle on some photos and his passion on stage.

Timothy is a sweetheart, isn't he? I've noticed how he makes a point of thanking the audience over the microphone, rather than mouthing the words.

As for WITW, Don is indeed a lyrical genius. The song has often made me cry. It's just breathtakingly beautiful.

Cindy Frey is indeed lucky, and you're not the only one who is !

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey
    Katherine: now THAT is devotion!
    Thanks for using the word "devotion" to describe my malady and not "obsession!"
    "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody, just take good care of yourself."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Random thoughts? Hmmmmm. Lots!

As far as the aging thing, I must agree. They all look fabulous! Still!

As for how in to the Eagles am I? Well, I've not been out since 1972 and Take It Easy! Yup, I'm that old! Honestly, I've always played their albums. I did lose track of them when they split, but I still played Eagles albums. Then when I found out more about them on the 'net after going to a concert in 2002, I learned about their solo careers. That guy that sang The End of the Innocence was in the Eagles?! An Eagle did The Heat is On? This was during my child rearing, poorer than dirt years (if I can use that as an excuse!). I now have all of Don's and Glenn's solo works and some of Joe's and Tim's. My car cd player rarely has anything in it but theirs. The new album took up residence for at least 6 weeks.

Had I known then what I know now, I'd have somehow got myself to California and been a groupie, too!

Devotion/obsession. Either works for me!

Btw, have you read any of the books about them yet?

And how 'bout going to the Introduce Yourself thread and telling us about yourself? You can catch up on most of us there, too!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

MF - you remember the date you fell in love with Glenn Okay, now that's plain weird

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse
    Today’s random thoughts…. Keep in mind that I LOVE Glenny boy. However, I want to know, exactly when did he become a good ‘ol southern boy? I mean, he hails from the Midwest, and lives in CA… so how the heck did he adapt that southern country accent? I was watching him on YouTube (sorry Don, but you tube just makes me love you all more)… and when Glen is doing intro’s of the band, he sounds so southern. Also, even his singing has a some twang in it. OMG, he really is morphing into Johnny Cash!

Another random thought… isn’t is sweet that you see so many pictures of Timothy with him leaning his head on someones shoulder? He just looks so sweet and peaceful all the time. Also, after he sings lead on one of his songs live, he softly ends with “thank you” as everyone is applauding him. That just makes me melt. He seems really happy.

Last random thought for now… I can’t get enough of WITW’s today! Don is certainly a lyrical genius!

Oh wait... one more thought... Cindy Frey is one of the luckiest women on Earth. She's beautiful, she can dance, she has lovely children and of course, she has Glenn... sigh...
    I speak as a non-American who believes Glenn doesn't affect a southern accent. I have heard it described as a 'Michigan drawl'.

NB: If Americans think he sounds 'southern' I bow to their knowledge. But why would he?

The 'twang' occurred in his early vocals. He was doing that style of music and so he adopted it to some extent. I would not describe him as singing with a 'twang' these days. Listen to What Do I Do With My Heart or Somebody.

And Johnny Cash was a baritone. Glenn is a tenor. Minor point. I don't know if Cash sang with a 'twang' or not but he had a very powerful voice and I love the way he sang, just as I love the way Glenn sings.

MF, Glenn hasn't lived full time in Aspen for years. He still has a house there but he lives in LA.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by tbs fanatic
    MF - you remember the date you fell in love with Glenn Okay, now that's plain weird
    Not really.... October 2, 1979. It is hard to forget.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I speak as a non-American who believes Glenn doesn't affect a southern accent. I have heard it described as a 'Michigan drawl'.

I've never heard of a Michigan drawl. Most people from this part of the country speak rapid fire, IMO (and I'm one of them). The only time anyone from these parts uses a drawl is when they've had too much to drink.

Personally, I think he sounds like he's doing a Jack Nicholson imitation.

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse
    However, I want to know, exactly when did he become a good ‘ol southern boy? I mean, he hails from the Midwest, and lives in CA… so how the heck did he adapt that southern country accent?
    Having grown up just 15 minutes away from where Glenn grew up, I can say that he does not talk like a typical Metro Detroiter. My friends and I always thought it was amusing that, when singing, Glenn has more of a southern twang than Don who grew up in Texas. Of course, that's easy enough to do; I can affect a twang when I'm singing along to his songs. But, even when he's talking, he definitely sounds more southern than anyone around here. That's not to say that Michiganders don't have different speech patterns dependent on where in Michigan they live, but his accent is quite different than your typical Royal Oak, MI native.
    "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody, just take good care of yourself."

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I have much catching up to do. First, thanks you to FP and SS for the OL 55 pics. I LOVE that song, and him in that t-shirt... oh my!!!!

Dreamer, thanks for the TBS info and pic. Yes, they do make a lovely couple. I wonder if Jean is still as beautiful as she was back then... I'm sure to TBS she is.

As for Glenn's southern accent... it is more noticable now then when he was younger... like he "learned" it. Which honestly, most people who move south do "learn" it. I guess, adapt it, would be the better word. In any case, Glenn does not live in the south! I'm a midwestern girl, and I can totally tell the difference in his speech. I'm not really bothered by it, just curious is all.

As for me... I've loved Eagles songs from a young age... w/out knowing they were the Eagles. KWIM? Like, I loved Lyin' Eyes. I loved, Take it Easy... but I never put it together that this was a band I should look further into... until I was adult. Like I mentioned, I always play them in the Springtime. Well, my Greatest Hits was scratched beyond belief and was just skipping... I couldn't take it... so off to the store to buy another copy. Well, the didn't have Their Greatest Hits, but they had, The Very Best Of, so I bought it. I must have read the interview insert 20+ times. After reading that, I felt like throwing myself into everything Eagles. It's like all Eagles all the time. I don't know why I didn't have this passion before, but suddenly, I do. I keep meaning to order the books about them off Amazon, and I keep forgetting to look up my password for Amazon. It's a most do though!

Tonights random though... I hate the song Fast Company! What's up w/that crazy voice??? Sorry, I'll probably be bashed for saying so... but I just can't take it! ICK!