Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts ...

Quote Originally Posted by freyfantastic61
    Hi- I wasn't sure where to post this but I have just treated myself to Don's album "The end of the Innocence" and I also endulged in buying his dvd"Inside Job" much to my hubby's amusement and they are both brilliant!
    I love both of those CDs, and yes, they are both brilliant! Glad you have discovered them. I'll be glad to talk to you about them anytime!

FP, dunno if you are the only one who doesn't like Randy's high voice--but I for one LOVE his high part in the end of TITTL--especially on the Live CD. He holds that note so long it is amazing. I really miss Randy's version--to me, Glenn's doesn't come close.

Count me among those who love Randy's high ending on the original. Very dramatic and powerful.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

It's funny that the topic of TITTL has come up. I've been thinking about this song lately, and personally, I would love to hear Don sing it. I think he's the one who would be able to capture the Randy-ness (hmm...I know that could have a different meaning in some parts of the world ) of the song. I think he could nail those high notes and make the song what it once was. I can take or leave Glenn's version, but honestly, my feeling is that Glenn's version is so markedly different (and not necessarily for the better) than Randy's that it really isn't worth including in the show. I wish they'd drop it and bring back Already Gone or New Kid in Town.
    "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody, just take good care of yourself."

I've never thought about Don doing it - interesting idea! Certainly would be something different.

I'm not sure he'd be able to hit those high notes either though. Notice how he's taken down "I'm learning to live without you now" in HOTM? The reason: he can't consistently hit the high note of the original, and that's nowhere near as high as TITTL. He uses falsetto for high notes now, and I don't think that would work for TITTL. Sure is a novel idea, though!

A Randy song Don could do that would be cool, I think, is Too Many Hands. They would have to lower the key a bit, but it could work.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by freyfantastic61
    I have been showing off my photos of the concert and EVERYBODY has said "Oh you lucky thing I would have loved to have gone but put off getting tickets!" My answer to that is why wait? life is too precious and you never know what's around the corner!! 4wks on and I am still smiling!! luv FF61
    You are absolutely right FF61 and thats the take I have on life as well. We hear about so many tragedies, and 'if only's' and 'I wish I'd had a chance to.........'. The only way to 'Do Something' is to actually go out and DO IT!! And it usually works out ok in the end!!
    Keep smilin'
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Don singing TITTL is an idea that might work because he might be able to capture the more rueful and contemplative aspect of the lyrics a bit better. Glenn's version is somewhat glib. The feeling is there but he does tend to 'skate over it' a bit. But I agree that Don could no more do Randy's high parts than Glenn could.

I agree that Don could do Too Many Hands. If so, Glenn could do Try & Love Again. Had to throw that in there.

I see why people admire the high notes but that style of singing, I'm afraid, isn't really my cup of tea, regardless of who it is.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I've always loved Randy's live version of TITTL. It's just beautiful. I'm one that loves his high notes at the end.

I remember when I first heard about Glenn doing it, my first thought was why doesn't Tim do that song? But Glenn did ok on it. I can take it or leave it, too. Acutally, I agree with you, kat, I think they should drop it and put AG or NKIT back in.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm one that thinks the high parts at the end of the song are wonderful, and as I said, I miss that part. I also do not think Don would be able to hit those notes like Randy did either. Tim could probably come the closest, but I don't think there is any chance of that happening. As I said, I really wish they would do the electric version of the song that Glenn does in his solo shows - it is SOOOO much more powerful, and very close to Randy's version (except no high parts at the end). However, it's those high parts at the end that make Randy's version of the song incomparable for me.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I agree that the electric version is better and more exciting in concert, but I don't think his vocals are "glib." He puts his heart into it.

Stuck on the Border

'Glib' is perhaps a bit harsh but I was trying to make it clear that I don't have a complete blind spot when it comes to Glenn singing this song. I have to say that I always find it uplifting when I watch him doing it in F1, especially when he favours that lucky person with a smile.

Someone tell me - are the Foxwoods & Rama versions the 'electric' versions?

If he had to drop songs from the current set list, I agree that he should have dropped this, and not NKIT, TS and AG. I don't know what he was thinking. I repeat that if he had to drop all those then at least he should have done one more of his new ones.