Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts ...

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Default Re: Random Thoughts ...

I just fervently hope they never stop touring, even if they just adopt the George Strait style of 12-15 shows per year. As long as they're making the rounds, there's this sense of "Well, life is good. Everything's all right."

And, what's with all the country music hatred? C'mon, now. Before Shania Twain arrived, we had some decent developments.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    Just really missing the guys lately! I looked at the tour schedule and see they are "off" this month...Dec is busy for them... then I thought, hey, they are out of town until basically the day before Christmas Eve... I wonder if that gets them out of Christmas shopping.

I really wish I could see them live... I'm kinda kicking myself that I missed them over the summer... I could use a fix about now... I'll even take a solo show if they'd throw me a bone and do one!
    With the greatest respect, LTL, I have been waiting for this tour since 2004 and I am deeply grateful that they are coming to Australia again. I will try & do the best I can to provide comprehensive reviews of the four Sydney shows I will be attending.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Maybe you could show them some shops in Sydney as well FP!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloByMorning View Post
    And, what's with all the country music hatred? C'mon, now. Before Shania Twain arrived, we had some decent developments.
    I dunno ABM....I thought Shania was developed pretty well.

But I have to admit, I'm not a big Country fan...nor much of a little one either. And with that said, I'm pretty much over the top on Band Of Heathens and I think they sort-of have to be put in a Country pigeonhole.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

We had to go rescue our daughter after she got off work around midnight last night because her car wouldn't start again I think it's heading to the junk yard today! Anyways, while driving I heard Sunset Grill on the radio. I got to thinking that this would be a great one to add back into the setlist. I know they did it during the F1 era and even tho it's a Don Henley solo work (and I'm always saying eliminate the solo stuff and give us more Eagles stuff), if I remember right, they did an excellent job of it on the F1 dvd and it was given the genuine Eagles "sound". KWIM?
    Last edited by TimothyBFan; 12-05-2010 at 12:29 PM.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I actually am glad they dumped "Sunset Grill." It's a good song but kind of a downer, and with the exception of the lines "Have another beer" and "all our friends are here" - those always got cheers - it didn't really get folks revved up. In fact, it seemed to slow the momentum of the show down noticeably - at least the shows I want to. The Eagles were wise to unload it and replace it with a new Eagles song. JMHO!

BTW glad you got your little girl home safe!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Having just seen two shows & again noticed the over-emphasis on Henley & Walsh solo songs in the second half, in my opinion the last thing they need to do is bring back a Henley solo song (or at least not this one). As Bernard Zuel said in his review they have a deep catalogue of Eagles songs. Isn't it time they examined it?

As for Sunset Grill to me it didn't sound much like the Eagles at all because it was far too reliant on the brass section.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Ooops!! Guess I was wrong!! Maybe it just got me in my melancholy mood besides it was after midnight and I'd been up since 4 am! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Nope, I getcha, Willie. I understand what others have said about how it fits in to the shows, but I agree that it's a fantastic song - one that I perhaps didn't appreciate as much in the past. I love it when a song you've heard a million times just grabs you on one particular listen, and you suddenly know what it's all about, and want to hear it again! I love the themes of that song and the inspiration behind it.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Bob Seger's Fire Down Below was just playing on the radio and I could totally hear Glenn singing that song. It sounds like a song that Glenn could've originally sang. I bet he'd do a pretty good cover of that song too. Then I started to listen a bit harder and realized that it kinda sounds like Smuggler's Blues. It could just be me but they both sound similar.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7r-V1id038[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKmqb7i3iaQ[/ame]
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."