Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts ...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I’m once again behind on posting on the board. I have a couple of minutes, so I thought I’d respond to a few of the comments made over the last few days.

First of all, I also like Fast Company – I like that the guys experimented with all different types of music on LROOE. The fact that their songs don’t all sound the same is one of the main reasons that I love this band so much. Fast Company is a modern, funky song with a great message, IMHO. It’s not among my very favorites, but I still like it a lot. However, I think younger people especially like it. One of my niece’s says that it is her favorite song on the CD.

As far as the individual band member’s height, I think it is very ambitious to put Glenn at 5’9’’. My guess, based on observing him next to others, would be that he is closer to 5’8”. Also, according to some people I know that have met Joe, they think he is around 5’11 – 6’0”.

Lastly, I think the comments regarding Glenn’s southern accent are very interesting. I do think he uses it when he sings particular songs. He also has a unique way of pronouncing some words, such as thing (thang). However, for me, when he is just talking in his normal voice, I don’t usually detect a southern accent at all. Maybe, it’s because I have a strong southern accent myself, but to me, he still sounds very much like a Michigander.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse
    Today's random thought... I wonder how it must feel to be Glenn. I mean, think about it... he is an icon.
    Hmmmm....my random thought is, I wonder what it must feel like to be Don?
    Don't forget Joe and Tim!

I have no idea what it must be like to be Glenn, or any one of the guys, but it must feel really good when you know that you've affected so many lives with your work, that you've made such a difference to so many people, and that your talent is recognized and rewarded.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I haven't met Glenn but he strikes me as being reasonably down to earth. I imagine that when he's doing the In Charge act with the band he may be somewhat different but that's his job. I doubt he goes round all the time remembering 'who he is'. There are a lot more rock stars I could name that seem far more obsessed with their own image than he is.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I think my question may not have come across as it should. I'm was just thinking... can you imagine, you are 60 yrs old, and you look back at your life, and you have a character in a movie modeled after you. You have people writing songs about you. How freaking cool is that?

I was in no way suggesting Glenn wasn't down to Earth or had an ego problem. I'm just saying, for someone to have that kind of effect on others is amazing. It's not like one person referred to him... but THREE people. I guess he just has that certain aire or chemistry about him that leaves people moved by him. That's all.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Well whatever he has or hasn't got LTL he certainly has Chemistry!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Today's random thought... I wonder how it must feel to be Glenn. I mean, think about it... he is an icon.
    My random thought...I wonder what it must be like to feel Don - uh - I mean to be Don! Yeah, that's what I meant!
    "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody, just take good care of yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by katherine5832
    My random thought...I wonder what it must be like to feel Don - uh - I mean to be Don! Yeah, that's what I meant!
    Sure, that's what you meant!

I think my question may not have come across as it should. I'm was just thinking... can you imagine, you are 60 yrs old, and you look back at your life, and you have a character in a movie modeled after you. You have people writing songs about you. How freaking cool is that?
    I know. Pretty amazing!

I was in no way suggesting Glenn wasn't down to Earth or had an ego problem. I'm just saying, for someone to have that kind of effect on others is amazing. It's not like one person referred to him... but THREE people. I guess he just has that certain aire or chemistry about him that leaves people moved by him. That's all.
    I think it was pretty obvious you weren't trying to diss Glenn, far from it. It's an interesting question. My answer was abbreviated only because I really don't know what it would be like to be him!

Your "chemistry" thing is so true. I love this bit Cameron Crowe said about him in an interview with Rolling Stone promoting Almost Famous:

Rolling Stone: Who is Russell Hammond, really?

Crowe: I saw Glenn Frey at a dinner party recently, and I realized that so much of Russell is Glenn. He was the coolest guy I had ever met in 1972. I was backstage at a concert interviewing everybody - the Eagles, King Crimson, Ballin' Jack, Chaka Khan. In the Eagles' dressing room, everyone's talking about Glenn - the one guy who isn't there. He's out looking for babes. Everyone's like, "The thing about Glenn," "Oh, one time Glenn and I..." And then, like a one-act play, Glenn appears. He walks in a little buzzed, he's got a long-neck Bud, and he's like, "How ya doing'?" Just classic. That whole thing of "Tonight, friends - tomorrow, the interview" was him. And there's one line he really did say to me: "Look, just make us look cool." He was also the first guy who told me about crafting a buzz long before I could ever enact it.

Rolling Stone: The recipe, please.

Crowe: OK. He's like, "If you want to craft a buzz correctly, you walk into a party, you drink two beers quickly. Then you drink a beer every hour and fifteen minutes after that. You'll always have a buzz and you'll never get too embarrassing." I was like, "Uh... yeah, I know that." Meanwhile, I'm furiously writing it down.

------------------------------------

BTW, your "Random Thought of the Day" is a pretty cool idea!

Trivia: Don Henley and Joe Walsh both inspired multiple songs by Stevie Nicks. Not bad, eh?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by katherine5832
    Woo hoo hoo, Katherine, you BAD girl!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    I know. Pretty amazing!

I think it was pretty obvious you weren't trying to diss Glenn, far from it. It's an interesting question. My answer was abbreviated only because I really don't know what it would be like to be him!

Your "chemistry" thing is so true. I love this bit Cameron Crowe said about him in an interview with Rolling Stone promoting Almost Famous:

Rolling Stone: Who is Russell Hammond, really?

Crowe: I saw Glenn Frey at a dinner party recently, and I realized that so much of Russell is Glenn. He was the coolest guy I had ever met in 1972. I was backstage at a concert interviewing everybody - the Eagles, King Crimson, Ballin' Jack, Chaka Khan. In the Eagles' dressing room, everyone's talking about Glenn - the one guy who isn't there. He's out looking for babes. Everyone's like, "The thing about Glenn," "Oh, one time Glenn and I..." And then, like a one-act play, Glenn appears. He walks in a little buzzed, he's got a long-neck Bud, and he's like, "How ya doing'?" Just classic. That whole thing of "Tonight, friends - tomorrow, the interview" was him. And there's one line he really did say to me: "Look, just make us look cool." He was also the first guy who told me about crafting a buzz long before I could ever enact it.

Rolling Stone: The recipe, please.

Crowe: OK. He's like, "If you want to craft a buzz correctly, you walk into a party, you drink two beers quickly. Then you drink a beer every hour and fifteen minutes after that. You'll always have a buzz and you'll never get too embarrassing." I was like, "Uh... yeah, I know that." Meanwhile, I'm furiously writing it down.

------------------------------------

BTW, your "Random Thought of the Day" is a pretty cool idea!

Trivia: Don Henley and Joe Walsh both inspired multiple songs by Stevie Nicks. Not bad, eh?
    Wow, Soda, thanks for sharing that part of Cameron Crowe's interview with us. I really enjoyed it, and now I'm even more sorry that I missed "Almost Famous". I had always intended to watch it, but never got around to it. Well, I wouldn't have cottoned on to the Glenn connection then, anyway, but at least I would have seen it.

As for Don and Joe inspiring multiple songs by Stevie, that is VERY COOL!!!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down