Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts ...

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Default Random Thoughts ...

Just lots of thoughts I've been having over the past few days. First off, whenever Spring hits, I have this thing where I must play my Eagles non-stop. It's like they are my kick off to better weather and light the way to happiness.

For as long as I can remember, one of my top five favorite songs of all time has been Lyin' Eyes. I loved that song before I even really knew who the Eagles were.

How is it possible that all of them still have amazing heads of hair? I think of the big hair bands from the 80's, and so many of them are bald, or just look like crap. These guys seemed to have aged so fabulously, especially in light of their earlier partying days.

I love each and every one of their voices... past and present members. I think Timothy sounds amazing when he sings, and I wish there were more songs with him as the lead. I can't tell if Glenn's voice is getter deeper w/age, or if he is just singing in a different octive for LROE. I think from the recent You Tube videos that he sounds the same when singing his older songs... so I'm not sure.

I've already stated this in another thread, but I really don't like the suit and tie thing at all. I feel like Joe is being held prisoner in a plain black jacket and tie. I enjoy his flamboyant side. :P Also, Glenn looks like Johnny Cash in his! The only one, IMO who can carry it off is Timothy. I can't even imagine playing drums in a suit jacket, poor Don!

I have to admit, I wasn't very fond of LROE when I first got it... but it has grown on me... and now there are SO many songs I LOVE. Not just like, but love. They sound so amazing when singing NMWITW. The way their voices complement each other is something truly rare.

I'm sure I have more random thoughts... but these are what have come to mind. Oh, and it anyone has a pic of Glenn from his younger days wearing an OL 55 t-shirt, if you post it in Frey Fever I will forever be greatful!

Stuck on the Border

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you about the Johnny Cash comparison. I just don't see that.

As for Glenn not being able to carry off a suit.... he has been wearing suits now since the early 80s and I'm accustomed to it. I've always thought that he wears suits with the innate style that he's always had.

I do see what you mean about Joe looking out of place in the suit, but at the moment I think it's great. As for Don, normally when he plays drums he takes the jacket off. I haven't noticed any photos of him drumming wearing it. Tim..I'm not so sure about him in a suit.

Glenn's voice is deeper than it was. On most of the new album he is doing the lowest part of the harmonies.

You can see the Ol'55 T shirt here.

I share your opinion of Lyin' Eyes.

Default Re: Random Thoughts ...

I agree about the voices and the hair. By and large, they've held up well.

Don has indeed drummed with his suit jacket on; I've seen it in some of the videos.

The suits are a bad idea, IMHO. Yes, they look good in them. They'd be the hottest guys at the board meeting. But getting up there and singing about "Life in the Fast Lane" while looking like they've just gotten back from another day at the office - not working for me.

It's almost as if they said, "Hmm, we've got great music that's timeless and we don't look our age - how can we remind the younger generation of how long we've been around? I know! Let's dress like their dads!" Or - in the case of Henley's pleated pants - their GRANDdads.

My fave Ol' 55 photo (I actually had this as my avatar for a while):

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Gack! The suits are a horrible, horrible idea! I hope they lose them for Atlanta! Like Soda said and I said after seeing the pics from the dress rehearsal, the suits and some (if not most) of their songs just don't work together. LITFL is a great example! I'd say other good examples are ASWTDID, BOS, HC. I think the worst part of the suits is that they are matching. Not only does it look dorky, but it just seems to take away each of their individual personalities. And, I don't think the suits are flattering on them at all. I just had to add my two cents. This is one of those issues that has really stuck in my craw since I first saw them. Just whose idea was this and why did they think it was a good idea?
    "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody, just take good care of yourself."

Stuck on the Border

Although I appear to be entirely alone on this, I maintain that Glenn looks and always has looked great in a suit.

I don't understand this sudden hostility. At first I thought people were enthusiastic about them wearing suits.

The fact is that it was probably Glenn's idea and it was probably meant as an ironic comment on them being 'corporate tools' of Wal-Mart.

I'm not saying they look BAD. I'm just saying that their matching ultra-conservative suits are a bit... well... dare I say it? Uncool.

And I have to agree it was probably Glenn's idea. I have many photos of him performing in suits going all the way back to 1982. He loves suits. It's just that in the past, he's jazzed up his suits - different colors, open necks, etc. Not this time. I also have a feeling the other guys might not be as gung-ho for the idea. Tim seems especially uncomfortable; by the end, he's loosening his tie, untucking his top, and doing his best to turn his suit into something more casual.

I seriously doubt it's some kind of statement. That's reaching, I think. It's far more likely that they decided the suits were flattering to all of them, and therefore they'd perform in them at every concert. I know when I find an outfit I look good in, I want to wear it a lot. That's all I can think of.

But hey, it's just clothes. They still sound as great as ever, whether they're rocking the hotness of the jeans and T-shirts, or wearing their Sunday best.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    Although I appear to be entirely alone on this, I maintain that Glenn looks and always has looked great in a suit.

I don't understand this sudden hostility. At first I thought people were enthusiastic about them wearing suits.

The fact is that it was probably Glenn's idea and it was probably meant as an ironic comment on them being 'corporate tools' of Wal-Mart.
    FP, you are certainly not alone in your enthusiasm for the boys in suits! I LOVE the suits! I have always been a sucker for a good looking man in a suit, and the Eagles carry it off very well, especially Glenn !

The fact that they loosen up a bit by loosening their ties and removing their jackets later in the show reveals their less formal side, and they certainly don't remind me of corporate types at all! I just loved Glenn rolling up his sleeves during the band intros! It was just plain SEXY!

One would have to accuse the groups of the '60s, with the advent of the British Invasion, of being "corporate" as well! Didn't The Beatles and all the groups who followed them also wear suits?

Even Elvis Presley wore suits in the '60s, and as a 21-year-old in the mid '50s, he was wearing jackets, shirts and ties.

I have always found suits very smart and attractive, and especially since the boys are mature, it is more than appropriate.

In "Farewell 1", the boys sported suits in the first half, and even though they were wearing open necks (sigh... ), it was still formal dress. Nevertheless, it was sexy. Glenn's pink and grey combo really did it for me, and I don't think I've found Don as sexy before as I found him wearing that black and brown outfit.

FP, as you say, Glenn has been wearing suits since the early '80s, and the man is just so good looking that wearing a suit only enhances that. Ultimately, the boys look good in anything they wear, so it makes little difference to me. They always look so neat and presentable, and to me that's the most important thing.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I must say I too am in the 'suit' camp along with MF and FP. In London on the first night the excitement was tangible while the boys took their places in the darkness. All MF and I were interested in was seeing our first suitsof Glenn but also in what they were wearing.

So firstly it was 'They're wearing the suits' and then 'THERES GLENN ' I'm not really good at recreating the excitement but I think everyone was very pleased with what they saw!

Glenn is an incredible looking man no matter what he wears. The suits are gorgeous on him whether toned down or jazzed up. You only have to look at him on F1 to see how well he wears them, and hey if it was his idea................well its his band And yes MF he is just plain SEXY!

As regards the hair, yes they really have held up well!

Soda, love the Ol '55 pic there, sheer passion from Glenn

Lyin' Eyes has to be in there with some of my favourites too LTL! I just love it and after reading in both 'Flying High' and 'TTL' how it was inspired it makes me love it even better. I can see Glenn making that comment, his eyes twinkling and his face laughing as he does it!

Yep I too feel Glenn 's voice has gotten deeper, but its just as sweet and sexy as it was and to me thats what matters.

I'll play all the boys anytime but I particularly love them when I'm driving.

Thay are the best of bands which have held up well over the decades!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

With regards to Glenn's voice, it certainly has deepened over the years, but if anything I almost prefer his voice now to the way it sounded in the '70s. He always has had a rich, sweet, powerful and versatile voice, and the fact that its deepened almost emphasises it more.

How I love his versatility: from the '50s influenced "I Found Somebody", to the rock and rolling of "Partytown", to the soul of "I've Been Born Again", to the aching ballad, "I Volunteer". And this was all on one of his solo albums, "No Fun Aloud"!

For the Eagles he's done beautiful ballads like "New Kid In Town", country rock like "Lyin' Eyes" (one of my big favourites, too, LTL - I perform it regularly in our band) and rockers such as "Heartache Tonight". I find it incredible that Glenn still sings NKIT and HT in the same key as he did in the '70s, given that his voice has deepened so much. A testiment to his awesome range.

And then there's "I Love To Watch A Woman Dance"...

The Eagles certainly have been fortunate to hang on to their hair. So many men suffer from baldness from as early as their 20s these days. And boy, they have great hair!

LTL, I must second your thoughts on the boys' fantastic harmonies on NMWITW. I am held spellbound by their harmonies whenever they choose to showcase it, and their abilities are indeed rare. Thanks for sharing your interesting thoughts with us!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey
    FP, you are certainly not alone in your enthusiasm for the boys in suits! I LOVE the suits! I have always been a sucker for a good looking man in a suit, and the Eagles carry it off very well.....
    The fact that they loosen up a bit by loosening their ties and removing their jackets later in the show reveals their less formal side, and they certainly don't remind me of corporate types at all! It was just plain SEXY!

One would have to accuse the groups of the '60s, with the advent of the British Invasion, of being "corporate" as well! Didn't The Beatles and all the groups who followed them also wear suits?

I have always found suits very smart and attractive, and especially since the boys are mature, it is more than appropriate.
    I have always loved the suits too, along with FP, Mrs F, and GA. Mrs F's comments, above, are right on the money! I just can't resist a handsome man in a suit --and here we have four of them, singing their hearts out for us! What's not to like? I can't WAIT to see them in person!

It still remains to be seen, however, if they continue to wear the suits in the heat of the summer, especially in outdoor venues. When I saw Don last summer in the outdoor amphitheater in OKC, it was 90 degrees and sweltering--the man would've died in a suit & tie! So, where I really hope I see them in suits in Atlanta, I suspect they may move toward more casual clothes for the Hard Rock Park and other summer dates.