Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts ...

Default Re: Random Thoughts ...

Yep - you can listen to it from Chula Vista 2003 here:

Unfortunately it was dropped from the setlist before the tour ended.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

We hit something like 15 concerts during that Farewell tour. I recall that SBR and TTS were in the setlist. But in later concerts, they only did SBR *IF* they were dead solid *ON* vocally that particular night. So, we knew if they sang it, we were going to be in for an exceptional concert even by Eagle's standards.

I don't remember when they killed TTS, but I remember distinctly that I missed it when it was no longer being performed. That was one of the real treats of catching Joe with Stone Temple Pilots out in Vegas. Both "Confessor" and "Turn To Stone" were performed....the two songs by Joe that I think stand above most all of the others except maybe Funk #49.

I always thought "Rocky Mt Way" and "Life's Been Good" were a notch below TTS and Confessor. I also thought 'Tend My Garden" was one of the best that Joe came up with!

Hmmm, listening to that clip of TTS you linked Soda, encourages me to try TTS with that long Delay in the solo! I've played it with a lot of reverb and with WahWah, but not with that Delay Echo.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    **Ol' 55 from Kirshner '74-- What a GREAT version this is. Don's voice is just amazing and spot on through the whole song!!
    I really wish they would have gotten some good shots of Bernie playing steel (and singing) on this tune (Jackson Browne's) instead of just a closeup of his hands at the end

There has been speculation that they only show the hands because it wasn't Bernie on the steel guitar for those songs (for whatever reason). Perhaps Jackson Browne brought his own man for that.

Any opinions, yay or nay? It seems logical he would be doing it, but then, why is his face never shown?

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    There has been speculation that they only show the hands because it wasn't Bernie on the steel guitar for those songs (for whatever reason). Perhaps Jackson Browne brought his own man for that.

Any opinions, yay or nay? It seems logical he would be doing it, but then, why is his face never shown?
    At the very end of Ol' '55, after the last note and during the applause, you can clearly see Bernie sitting at the steel in the background. Maybe the director was really into the steel guitar in terms of how it is played and that's why he went with the closeups

Thanks for the info. That settles that! Too bad about the director's preferences though because, like you, I would have enjoyed seeing Bernie's face.

Stuck on the Border

Re Seven Bridges Road: If you are going to do it do the WHOLE song. Just because people are applauding doesn't mean you should stop. Presumably I will see this in December and I know I will be disappointed if there is no final verse.

King Of Hollywood: I love this version but mainly because the falsetto part is more dominant than it is on the recording. I know the 'we're gonna take care' part is sexy and draws a big response but that is not my favourite part.

Turn To Stone: If I had my way this would be back in the setlist.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Thanks for all the input about my observations!! I'm glad it's getting so much discussion. Love hearing others opinions about what I'm seeing also.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Border Desperado

"Silver Dagger" is a standard in folk circles (where all the boys spent lots of time in their youth)

The song is very sad, where a young girl is kind of tortured by a bitter mother who assumes that all men will be like the man she fell in love with and who left her for another.... a rake!

I think the part that the Eagles were trying to take and use (agreed it is a great vehicle for their harmonies, but there are tons of songs that would have worked and they don't follow the melody of the original that closely)

It makes sense to me that they started where they started in the song to show 'state of mind' of the guy who is 'runnin down a road, tryin' to loosen his load' as being the son of the guy as a man... and what the man would be like... so, with the introduction of who the man is and what he is about...

they start the song... as if they were ushering in a new generation of the ballad tradition... a story song... that has sadness, but has hope and like so many things of that era were focused on the present and being in the moment... what will we do today.
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

I was just watching some videos on EOC tonight, and a few things caught my eye...
    In the Walden Benefit Week video, when it shows Timothy, it says Ex-Eagles Bassist

Tonight was my first time watching the Hall of Fame Induction. I thought it was so cool how all current and former Eagles members played a couple songs together. I also thought that Glenn and Don Henley's speech was very thought-provoking and inspirational.

The live Hotel California 1977 was fun to watch. But the roar of the crowd when they were walking on stage was incredible! I can't imagine what it feels like to them to be such a loved and prominent band.

Lastly, I really enjoyed the Holland, 1973 Witchy Woman video. It is just pure awesomeness