Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts ...

Just to add my 10 cents worth about Glenn's version of TITTL: I enjoy Randy's version, and I love Glenn's version too. I remember being quite annoyed at reading someone's comment on YouTube along the lines of "What were the Eagles thinking letting Glenn sing this song?" They seem to forget that Glenn has been doing this song solo since the '80s - he does a great version of it in the 1986 Japan show.

It doesn't matter to me that Glenn doesn't do the high parts in the end. Glenn is Glenn and Randy is Randy. If Glenn had to attempt to do what Randy did, it would just lead to unfair comparisons. Little wonder then that Tim refuses to sing the song.

Glenn sings this with tremendous feeling and the beautiful country-like sound in his voice is brought to the fore. I loved the way he did this in London. It really didn't matter to me that TS, AG and NKIT were dropped from the new set list - whatever Glenn sings, he sings it well. He's a wonderful, versatile singer.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Certainly to UK audiences, Take It To The Limit is one of the most popular Eagles songs, and one which gets nearly everyone one singing along, so I think Glenn is right to include it. I think many concert goers would not even realise that it's being performed by by a different singer!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

GEF - I totally agree with you that the average concert goer may not even realize that Glenn wasn't the original singer on the song. It is either that or they just don't care because the song always gets a great reception from any audience I've ever been a part of.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Today's random thought.

So, I'm wondering why I never hear How Long or BBF on the radio. Then it hits me. The guys cut their LROO deal directly with Walmart, so that means no studio backing.

Without a studio backing, by todays standards, that means no radio play.

So, do you think it was a wise thing do? I mean, they have almost no radio play. They remove their videos off of You Tube... sure, they are touring... but I'm curious if they had a studio backing if they're music would be played in regular radio rotation, and it that would have made the album or any single hit higher on the charts?

Stuck on the Border

I'm not American so I can't comment on airplay. All I know is the album went to Number One on the Billboard charts. I am not sure how releasing the album with a major label (I assume this is what you mean by 'studio backing') would have increased their airplay.

I don't know much about this kind of thing - when you say that no studio backing means no airplay, do you mean that there is some kind of system in place by the record companies to keep songs from independent albums off of the air?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I doubt that the lack of airplay has anything to do with the Eagles not getting backing from a major label. It seems the radio stations do as they see fit (although I don't know if this applies in America).

LROOE is being distributed by Universal Music in South Africa, and they have tried their utmost to get the major local radio stations to play music from the album, with no luck. The reason for this is that the radio stations claim the music does not fit in with their "format", which is basically pop, pop and more pop , which I'm more than tired of, quite frankly. Miraculously, the album has gone gold in South Africa, even without a stitch of airplay. The "How Long" video was aired about four times, and I saw "Busy Being Fabulous" once, but the video was cut short as it was just a filler between programmes.

If you're wondering how I know about Universal's efforts and the gold status of LROOE in South Africa, I found out through trying to get a local promoter to encourage the Eagles to include South Africa in their LROOE tour. Apparently there's a lot involved, and a lot to consider, since we're so far from everything (as I found out during my trip to London! ), but it's not impossible. I will continue to hope.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I know zilch about this stuff, but I have heard How Long, Busy Being Fabulous and now Long Road Out of Eden quite a lot on 2 of my favorite classic rock radio stations. The first time I heard LROOE I was definitely shocked, but I've heard it several times since. And I guess it hasn't even been released as a single. I take it they can play whatever they want?

These stations play a lot of the Eagles tracks, hits or not, so I'm a very happy listener.

As for my Sirius satellite radio at home, I get older Eagles hits once in a while, but not as often as I'd like. Haven't heard any of the new songs on those classic rock stations at all.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I can only speak for my area, but I'm guessing it's similar in other areas of the states. I'm in Chicago. We have the typical major stations, Lite Rock(easy listening), Classic Rock, two Hot Top 40, R&B, Jazz, three stations that claim to play anything, but honestly, they are pretty much adult contempory, an oldies station and a country station.

I'm not sure anymore, but two out of ALL of those stations used to do 1-2 hours of "local" music once a week. ie: Sunday night. That was the only time you ever heard any independent music, and it was only local musicians. Every other station here plays whatever the studio is backing at the time. That is why we hear the same songs in rotation over, and over, and over, and over again. I know that the studios aren't supposed to give kickbacks to the radio stations... but something is not right, seeing as how only certain songs and artists get play. Basically, I think the studios are giving kickbacks, but just finding some legal glich to loophole. I mean, really, how many times a day do I need to hear John Meyer on the radio? ICK!

For example, there is a local band that is hot here. They finally got a major label to sign them... not sure who it was, maybe Sony. In any case, the label didn't give them the push the deserved, so you NEVER hear them on the radio. Perhaps you have heard of them, the Lovehammers. The lead singer was on INXS: Rockstar. The show that tried to find a new singer to replace Hutchinson. In any case, the Lovehammers are a great band. They have a pretty big following, but their own label doesn't promote them and they never get radio play because of it.

So, my point was... it LROE was put out through the studio, I bet it would have garnished some airplay, therefore putting HL or BBF (the singles) in the Top 20. Granted, the guys wouldn't have made as much money... but I would be curious to know if WITW or some other track would end up being as popular as TIE or HC. Just random rambling thoughts.

Perhaps there is some kind of kickback system in place, although apparently it didn't work out for the Lovehammers with Sony - although that seemed to be a promotional problem if I'm reading you right rather than a backing=airplay problem.

There are certainly questionable practices out there. VH1 prioritizes videos of new artists that have agreed to go on their "Artists You Oughtta Know" tour, putting them in heavy rotation.

Still, the Eagles are a huge name and even without the backing of a studio, I think their songs would get played if there were enough public demand. Didn't How Long get to the top 20 of the country charts, or am I remembering wrong?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten