Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stagecoach Festival, Indio, CA 5-02-08

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Here's something interesting! This person apparently blogged the first couple of entries long-distance DURING the show, then afterwards wrote up some more, including the setlist as she remembers it and a bit of Heartache Tonight live. Cool!

1. The Eagles are Doing Solo Songs

2. What Joe Walsh Doesn't Remember

3. The Eagles: The Highlights

4. The Eagles: A Review

5. One More Note About the Eagles: Set List - she says she forgot a couple - I sure hope the ones she forgot were WITW and Somebody!

6. The Eagles' Heartache - brief clip of Heartache Tonight live at Stagecoach!

Check out Desperado from Stagecoach - close up view of Don in jeans!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvguH-lKNm0

Oh my gosh - some more great photos!

Jackie's photos on Flickr.com

I do like Don in jeans.

Great reviews and photos!

A very nice review from entertainmentoday.net:

The Eagles wound up the first day at Stagecoach with a professional polish. As with their most recent shows, they opened with a quartet of tunes from their recent sprawling double disc Long Road Out of Eden. Invariably, however, it was their hits that the crowd wanted to hear. The band delivered solidly over the ensuing 2 plus hours. “Busy Being Fabulous” was one the evening’s better new songs. “Peaceful Easy Feeling” had the evening’s most relevant lyric in “I want to sleep with you in the desert tonight.” The band’s harmonies are fully intact, and yes they still soar. “One of These Nights” proved that Henley can still hit the falsetto highs. His “Boys of Summer” was given a robust, muscular and excellent workout. During the evening he moved back and forth from his original role as the band’s drummer. Compared to his first solo tour when he looked uncomfortable at the front of the stage, Henley now stands with the rest of his guitar army band front and center.

The inevitable challenge for an artist is how far to stray from the familiar studio recordings when performing them onstage. The song that best struck the balance of mixing the new and the familiar was “Hotel California.” The song opened with an alternately melancholy and soaring trumpet solo, giving no clue about the song’s title until the album cover’s famous Beverly Hills Hotel at sunset motif was projected as the familiar opening notes were plucked. The song reached its climax with the dueling twin lead guitar workout between Joe Walsh and Steuart Smith.

Walsh’s career-long goofiness teeters on the edge of humorous and grating. Undoubtedly the band figures he is a counterbalance to the consistent earnestness of Henley. Walsh dipped into his pre-Eagles fame with the pseudo-psychedelic “Funk 49.” Glenn Frey (who with Henley are the longest-lasting members of The Eagles) works somewhere in between Henley and Walsh, handling many of the lead vocals and guitar work. Bassist Timothy B. Schmit got his start with Poco, to which The Eagles owe more of their success than they usually let on. (Likewise, The Eagles owe more to The Byrds than their common ornithological nomenclature, but that is a story for another day.) Schmitt had replaced Randy Meisner in Poco, and then Schmitt replaced Meisner in The Eagles. Schmit had the crowd swaying to his delicately addictive “I Can’t Tell You Why.”

“Desperado” closed the evening. Henley’s evocative vocals echoed across the desert sky, the lyrics still cryptically swaying between an errant cowboy and a forlorn rock star.

A new Eagles album is in the works, despite earlier promises from Henley about hell freezing over and no more albums after the current double disc on offer. Closing the first night at Stagecoach with Fogerty and The Eagles was noteworthy in that Fogerty’s CCR was once America’s best-selling band, a position later eclipsed by The Eagles. Although The Eagles made their biggest mark on the rock charts, their indebtedness to the influences of country made them a logical addition to the Stagecoach Festival.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Whew! That was a marathon "let somebody looooooooooooooooooooooooove you" there in the video of Desperado!

I'm sorry Don, but I just hate that shirt. And the sleeves rolled up to the elbow with the light long sleeves underneath? It looks like he has casts on both arms! I love you, Don, but really!

Can I PLEASE take you shopping?

I'm serious!

:P
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I wondered if someone else was going to comment on the long sleeves under Don's plaid shirt. I don't get that.

Regarding the 'let somebody l-(count to 20)ove you bit I'm afraid I find that overdone Sorry.

As for the part of the review talking about 'handling many of the lead vocals and guitar work' well, gee. I'm glad he got a mention.

Default StageCoach Pics/Videos

Well I got my front row bird's eye view of the Eagles in Indio as anticipated. The Eagles were good but no magic-it was almost like watching a video. They were good but lacked the same intensity as the Nokia shows or the CA Tour 2005. No spontaneity at all-no passion. Just hit your mark, play your part and let's get 'er done Cooter. Very little interaction with the audience or each other for that matter making me wonder what was going on behind the scenes last Friday night.

Anyway here is the link to my pics/videos:
    http://www2.snapfish.com/shareereg/p...=SYE/otsi=SALB
    Some nut-case claimed to have seen Don Henley exiting the men's room after the concert at an Indio Carl's Jr on the StageCoach message board today. One girl, who tried to get next to me at the stage, claimed to be a producer on the Dr. Phil show. I guess some other scammer said she was Jenny Craig's daughter on Sunday night. They were out in droves that's for sure.

Carol-Lynn
    SoCalGalNow

Just got through looking at them and watching the videos. Thanks for posting these!

Sorry the band didn't seem to be more into it. It's strange that they didn't even interact with each other much. Hope all is well.

I wish we had Carl Jr.'s here in Indiana. I go to one of them every time I'm in California - delicious! Still don't think Henley went there though. Isn't he partial to In-N-Out Burger?