Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: Glenn Frey Song Survivor: The Solo Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    Well - I was actually going to vote for You Belong to the City. I love both of these, and think they are both great songs. But, there is something so special about Glenn's voice in YBTTC that I can't even describe that takes this song to another level for me. In addition, it was Glenn's biggest solo hit along with The Heat Is On. However, since I don't think we've ever had a clean sweep in any of the survivor games, I'm going to go with everyone else.

I cast my vote for Part of Me, Part of You.
    Highlighted text: I'm with you all the way here, Dreamer. It's that very attribute that made it a tough decision for me.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Congrats to POMPOY! What a beautiful song!

I love your favorite part, too, Fp and also this:

I look at you; your whole life stands before you
    I look at me and I'm running out of time...

Tears me up everytime. And it's sung with such passion!

Oh, Glenn!

Please note, I've changed my sig and location in honor of POMPOY! And it took me forever to figure out what that meant, too!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I've told the story of how I was driving home from work one day (yes, I did work once ) and the song came on and I felt that Glenn had sent me a message that yes, he was part of me and as a fan I was part of him in some small way, however distant. As MF says above, the song can choke you up when you don't expect it. That was in 2003 and the next year I finally saw the band again.

The acoustic guitars, the driving rhythm, the huge chorus - yes, it is a bit like Take It Easy. My favourite lines in terms of how he sings it are 'so many miles to go before I die' which is the usual laconic charisma, and then 'I look at you/your whole life stands before you' where he does the touching vulnerability stuff.

I know the song isn't well known. It doesn't matter. It is one of the touchstones of my life. OK.... sniff....
    I really enjoyed reading this, FP. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I highlighted that particular line because it's very touching. I'd like to think that Glenn's a part of me too, now, and I'm a part of him, although I'm just one of his many, many devoted fans.

The lines that touch me the most are these:

We can never know about tomorrow
    But still we have to choose which way to go
    You and I are standing at the crossroads
    Darling, there is one thing you should know

And then of course there's the beautiful chorus. How I wish I had someone in my life who cherished me that much.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Congratulations to POMPOY from me as well. It really is a beautiful song with carefully constructed lyrics that just flow from one part of the song to the next. Its one of my all time favourite driving songs which the miles just melt under.

Its played a lot on my radio station and one of the best times to hear it is just out of the 7am news, just when I'm contemplating my surgical removal from the matress! Needless to say when I hear 'Felt it when the Sun came up this morning.....' a big grin creases over my face and I'm in a good mood for the rest of the day!

I love the lyric 'Look at you your whole life stands before you' and apply it to my kids particularly as it really does, and I want the best for them.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Congratulations from me too Part of Me, Part of You on an overwhelming victory. I'm not surprized that this song won, but am shocked at how convincing the win was. This is definitely one awesome song as is You Belong to the City.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Yay, POMPOY!

The way this contest went down reminds me of Don's Survivor - the one that was the bigger hit (YBTTC/Boys of Summer) vs. the one that has the bigger heart (POMPOY/Heart of the Matter). The result was the same, too. Interesting!

Just read the comments left on the POMPOY video on YouTube to see a sampling of how this song touches people, just as it has us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mlD1OEj-6g

Magnificent song that never fails to lift my spirits.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the link Soda. I read every single one of those comments, and they are very inspirational, indeed.

When I watched the video, it occurred to me that I could have at least linked to your GFO video page when I declared the winner. You have the video download, screenshots, etc. right there. Here it is:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/moviestv/pompoy.htm

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Thanks for that link, dreamer, and for covering the game for me while I was away. I appreciate it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten