Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Linda Ronstadt

Default Re: Linda Ronstadt

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    NYCF, were you able to go to this? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

PM:

I did go to the 92nd St. Y event, and it was a great evening. Linda was interviewed by John Rockwell, who used to be the rock critic for the NY Times, and has been friends with Linda for 40 years. So there was a real ease between them, which made the conversation flow. If you have seen the excellent 2-part Tavis Smiley interview, she covered a lot of the same topics that she spoke about at the Y.

I particularly enjoyed how well versed Linda was in all sorts of music. She has explored so many types of music in her career and her knowledge of the history of those styles was so impressive. It was great to hear her speak about all of the people she has worked with and her various projects. I saw Sting do a benefit recently at the Public Theater, where he played the music from a Broadway musical that he is working on and talked about the creative process, and it reminded me of Linda. These are true musicians who are always looking for something new musically to explore.

They didn’t cover the whole Troubadour scene in as much depth as I would have liked, and she did not go into the story about hiring the Eagles as her band. She did mention them, and specifically said what a great writer Don was and what a great country player Bernie was. But not too much detail on all that, sadly. She did mention a bunch of the other people like Jackson, JD, etc., and spoke about that time with great affection.

Another story I found very funny is how she came to be in the Pirates of Penzance on Broadway. She was talking about how she didn’t like playing sports arenas on tour. She said they had terrible acoustics and that everyone was more interested in drinking, smoking and getting hot dogs than listening to the show. She told (I think) her manager how she wanted to play “a place with a curtain”. It was so funny how she spoke about this and kept emphasizing playing a place with a curtain. Somehow she decided she wanted to try out for Pirates. She was laughing about how clueless she was in her thought that it was no big deal to meet with Joseph Papp and tell him that she wanted to do this. She later found out, as she put it, “People were waiting in line to work with Joe Papp. And Meryl Streep was in that line”. I loved her sense of humor looking back on it. And of course that story got a big laugh from the NY audience.

She told another great story about how cheap Jerry Brown is. Apparently she was very close with Rosemary Clooney after working with Nelson Riddle. But one of her first social meetings was a lunch for the two of them at Rosemary’s house. Jerry Brown showed up at Linda’s house as she was getting ready (this was long after they dated, but she said they remain good friends), and invited himself along. And then, instead of buying a hostess gift, he insisted they take the flowers that someone had just given Linda from the vase and bring them along for Rosemary. She said Jerry Brown is pretty tight with a buck. The way she told the story was hilarious.

She also had some amazing stories about working with EmmyLou Harris and Dolly Parton, the first time she saw Bonnie Raitt at the Troubadour, and many of the other wonderful female singers she had worked with. I loved her story about Bonnie. I guess Bonnie came out on stage looking pretty, with her guitar, and Linda and her girlfriends (I forget who she was with) were thinking that Bonnie wouldn’t be all that. And then Bonnie started to sing One of the things I found really endearing about Linda is that she was so effusive in her praise of all the women singers she has known. She spoke so eloquently of working with them and the creative process.

The interview was probably 50 minutes and then they had a 20 minute or so Q&A session. After that, Linda was going to sign books. The line was massive. Longer than I’ve ever seen it at one of those events. But sadly, after about 20 minutes, she had to stop. She had said in the interview that the Parkinson’s affects her ability to write. She looked exhausted and I felt for her.

It was such a wonderful evening and I’m so glad we were able to go and see her. What a funny, down to earth, kind and talented woman she is. She has had such an interesting life and I admire her for how she has explored so many genres of music. I haven’t had time to sit down and read the book yet, but I’m really looking forward to it.

Sorry if this is more information than you wanted. LOL
    Last edited by NYC Fan; 10-17-2013 at 07:58 AM.

No, no, I enjoyed reading that! Until the Eagles doc I had never heard or seen Linda interviewed. I had never really heard her speaking voice before! After watching some of these interviews my first thought also was how down to earth she seems. Her focus would turn to things that surprised me, little things you wouldn't think she would be interested in. I find her very endearing. I'm glad you enjoyed her, and thanks for sharing.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

NYC, thanks for telling us about this! I really enjoyed it too! I wish you could have gotten your book signed though.

I'm enjoying reading her book and am amazed at her musical knowledge! (I know nothing! Nothing! lol) But, she came from a musical family, so it's natural for her.

She did have very nice things to say about Bernie in it, so far. "He was a solid, reliable guy, more ambitious for the music to be good than he was to make himself noticed." And about how talented he was.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I've had time to do a little reading today and there is actually a chapter titled 'The Eagles'! Missed it on my quick scan of pictures! Not really any new info though. How she met Don at the Troubadour and thought he was a great drummer and singer and about them (Don, Glenn, Bernie, and Randy) practicing vocals in her and JD's living room and hearing Witchy Woman for the first time.

The picture included in an old one on EOC:

None with her. So far!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

no I too enjoyed it and am glad you got to experience it.
    I loved her book
    very weill done and it was about all kinds o music.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Here is a very cool article from today's Wall St. Journal about the recording of Different Drum - http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...43713096204876

I can't believe she doesn't like the way she sounds.

Thanks MC, I enjoyed that. I do disagree with Linda's statement that art shouldn't be frozen in time, and I'm not sure why a recording artist would make such a statement.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

If she wasn't happy with her performance, OK, but if it hadn't been frozen in time, as she puts it, we wouldn't have a recording at all!

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Thanks MC, I enjoyed that. I do disagree with Linda's statement that art shouldn't be frozen in time, and I'm not sure why a recording artist would make such a statement.
    I took that quote to mean she's lamenting the fact that she thinks an early recording sounds amateurish (to her, after a decade spent perfecting things. Not to me, I ADORE her version of that song, I think it's killer), I don't think she's being literal. She's a perfectionist, and that's her way of saying, "Darn, I can't go back and re-do it." Or, who knows, maybe she thinks there shouldn't be any recordings made, ever! It reminds me of a quote from Glenn, I think it was, from the documentary saying that some of his early writing efforts or recordings sound really "rough" now. I'm sure all singers/actors/painters/authors who have long-lasting success feel this way about their early pieces. I even heard a sports announcer say he was mortified to listen to recordings of himself from years earlier. I can understand Linda being uncomfortable during the recording of the song, but I can't believe she doesn't like the final product.