Thread: "Where Are They Now" piece on Bernie

Default "Where Are They Now" piece on Bernie

Bernard Leadon was born July 19, 1947 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In the mid sixties, Bernie attended Gainesville High School in Gainesville, Florida. One of his many classmates was Don Felder who would later be alongside him in The Eagles. Felder was a member of a band called the Continentals with another great rocker Stephen Stills of Crosby, Stills & Nash fame. Leadon ended up replacing Stills and joining Felder in the band, which was renamed the Maundy Quintet. As a sidenote, in the 1966 Gainesville High School Yearbook, the Maundy Quintet was pictured alongside another Gainesville band, Tom Petty and the Epics.
    He played in Southern California bluegrass and country rock groups in the 1960's such as The Flying Burrito Brothers, Dillard & Clark,The Scottsville Squirrel Barkers (with future Byrd Chris Hillman ) and Hearts and Flowers.

He was a member of the band that backed Linda Ronstadt, alongside Glenn Frey, Don Henley and Randy Meisner. The quartet tendered their resignation en masse and formed their own group, dubbing themselves the Eagles as a nod to seminal folk rockers the Byrds in 1971.

Leadon was a huge force in the early sound of the Eagles. He played lead guitar, acoustic, banjo, and pedal steel guitar, among other things. He also wrote/co-wrote many Eagles songs such as "Earlybird", "Train Leaves Here This Morning", "Bitter Creek", "My Man", "Journey of the Sorcerer", "Witchy Woman", "On the Border" and others. Leadon used his boyhood choir training to arrange intricate harmony vocals on the Eagles' first few albums.

Between 1972 and 1975, Leadon rose to stardom with the Eagles indulging in the rock-star life along the way. Disagreements about the band's direction, and conflicts with other Eagle members led to Leadon leaving the band in December 1975 after completing and touring for the Eagles' fourth studio album, One of These Nights. He reportedly announced his resignation by pouring a beer over the head of Glenn Frey. He was replaced by Joe Walsh as the band moved towards a harder rock sound.

Afterwards, Leadon went on towards a more country sound. His first post-Eagles album was Natural Progressions (1977), done with Michael Georgiades. He also played a stint with The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. He produced bands such as Restless Heart and their hit, “I'll Still Be Loving You.”In the nineties he formed a group called Run C&W that spoofed "modern" music by recording it with a country/bluegrass sound.

In 1998, Leadon temporarily reunited with all the members past and present of the Eagles in New York City for induction into the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame. They performed two songs: "Take It Easy" and "Hotel California" (although Leadon was not in the Eagles when the latter was released).

Leadon released his second solo effort in 27 years, 2004's Mirror. Leadon is also known as a surfing enthusiast.

At the time of this writing, it is not known who will portray Leadon in the planned Eagles biopic.
    -------------------------------------

There is a planned Eagles biopic? Who is spearheading this project?

A biopic about the Eagles? I bet it's nothing more than an idea now, and it probably won't come off. I've been wrong before, though! This gives me an idea for a topic...

Thanks for posting this! Where is it from?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

It's from a blog by someone named Cliff Eastham.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: "Where Are They Now" piece on Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    He reportedly announced his resignation by pouring a beer over the head of Glenn Frey.
    That Glenn, everybody loves him, don't they?!

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    -------------------------------------

There is a planned Eagles biopic? Who is spearheading this project?
    Ha! We'll see!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

By the way guys.... scroll down and you'll see that the guy used one of the sidebars from BernieLeadonOnline.com!

Here's the link: Bernie Leadon article

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Cool to know that people are looking at your sites, Soda! That's a nice piece on Bernie, thanks for posting that. An Eagles biopic????

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

I went to read the article and to my surprise it states that Bernie poured a beer over the head of DON FREY
    Also if you get a chance to see the video with Travis Tritt they list the song writer as Gary Frey. Poor Glenn he just can't get a break

That's a scream, AEF! Talk about just not getting it right!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Well spotted, AzEF!! That's too funny!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...