Page 6 of 268 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: What's happening in your life? 11/06-08/08

Default Re: What's happening in your life?

I am sorry to hear that, and I will be thinking of both your families in this difficult holiday season. I lost my father two years ago and the holiday season never quite seems the same without him.

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother, Michaela, and your mother-in-law, Z. I know there is not much I can say to help, but I will say a prayer for your families at Christmas.

I have been very blessed in that all the immediate members of my family are still alive, although I lost my cousin Thomas to AIDS over 10 years ago and both sets of grandparents are gone. In fact, this Christmas, we have two new members of the family celebrating their first Dec. 25 - my new niece Sophia and nephew Austin.

I also have some happy news. Today, my dad sent me a happy birthday e-mail. He has NEVER done that before. He hates e-mail. Even with birthday cards as I was growing up, Mom always signed the card for both of them. I don't know what changed but he wrote some very sweet things about how he was proud of me and loved me... it actually made me cry! The best present I could have gotten.

~

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Thanks for your kind words.

Nancy and Z, sorry to hear about your loss.

Wow Nancy, what a surprise for you. You must have been so happy about that email. But tell me, have I missed your birthday?

Ha, I don't miss it, it's tomorrow.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Want to extend my sympathies to everyone, too. It is especially hard at the holidays. I lost my own Grandmother 2 days before Christmas over 10 years ago, and we still miss her.

And Happy Birthday to you, Nancy!

~~~

"You know, people don't run out of dreams, people just run out of time."

Stuck on the Border

Yes Nancy, happy birthday. I knew it was coming up.

My sympathies to everyone on their respective losses. Mine was 19 years ago on December 5 when my father died. Since then I've lost my three other grandparents (the first died back in 1976) an uncle and my husband's father, but I'm ashamed to say it didn't matter that much.

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Nancy! Have a great day.

Nancy, what a wonderful present to receive from your father! I assure you that you will remember it for the rest of your life.

My father never demonstrated or shared his emotions. I still clearly remember a day that I couldn't get to the hospital to see him so I spoke to him on the phone. Before I hung up, I said I love you Daddy and he responded in kind. That will always be with me.

Have a wonderful birthday!

-------------

Be careful what you say
    Be careful who you trust
    This world is beautiful
    This world is dangerous

Stuck on the Border

I have a feeling this is going to be along post, I've been quiet the last few days, and seem to have some catching up to do.

First - Happy Birthday Nancy!

What is it with Dad's not showing emotions? My dad was the same way. I remember as my Dad "passed me off" to my husband at the alter on our wedding day, he leaned over and said, "I love you and I'm proud of you." Too bad the photographer didn't capture the look of shock that must have been on my face at that moment. It has stayed with me, though. He's gone nearly 10 years, and that's the kind of memory I prefer to keep.

Michaela and others who are going through the Holidays without all their loved ones physically with them, try to have good memories and spend some time reminiscing about some happy times with that person. I remember someone telling me, every time you talk about the one who is gone, it brings them back for that moment in time. Tell some funny stories. It really does work!

We have a "fishhead" that makes the re-gifting circulation in our family. It's a mounted muskie head that must be older than the hills. Muskies have to be one of the ugliest fish in existence. My brother in law bought it at a yard sale coz he thought it was "cool". My sister was horrified. Because some of us made fun of my sister (asking her where she was going to hang it up in her home, ect.), she started the circulating by giving it away as a gift. That was more than 20 years ago. I've received it as a wedding gift, a baby gift and a housewarming gift myself.

On a downer note. We've had a really frightening and unbelievable week. (I'm on a roll with bad stuff happening around me, lately) The company my husband works for in Milwaukee had a massive explosion caused by a propane gas leak on Wednesday. Steve was within 50 yards of the explosion and had just minutes before been very close to where people were hurt and killed.

3 Falk employees were killed more than 40 injured (including Steve's boss who is still critical and another engineer both of whom Steve had been working closely with earlier).

The company grounds look like a bomb has gone off. It was nothing short of a miracle that the company's evacuation plan (which they had just drilled a few days before) was put into place, and many people were already moving to safety. There wasn't time to evacuate the building my husband was in. It's still standing (the building just yards away is gone) but has massive concussive damage. Thankfully, as I said, Steve had moved back to his office which is on the other side of the building from the one that was destroyed. He and his co-workers had to feel there way down a stairwell in the dark with glass flying around them.

We don't know when or if Steve still even has a job. Falk Corp. says they will rebuild, but when you see the level of destruction, who knows? We're feeling sad, shock, some fear and apprehension, but mostly gratitude.

Sometimes, I could just wring Ditka's neck myself, but I can't tell you how many times in the last 3 days I've thanked God that I was one of the lucky ones that heard his voice on the other end of the phone Wednesday morning telling me that he was alright.

This is a picture of some of the destruction.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Molly, that was a terrifying experience for you. I'm so glad your husband was spared and hopefully things will work out for you.

~~~

"You know, people don't run out of dreams, people just run out of time."

Happy Birthday Nancy!!