Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Atlanta, GA 5-14-08

Thanks for the clarification, Chris. I understand you were speaking of WITW. And thanks for your detailed review--you pointed out several details I had forgotten.

I wish I had been lucky enough to see the Eagles open for the Beach Boys back in the day. I bet that was quite a concert!

Quote Originally Posted by cmooreNC
    18 ) LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN (believe it or not, the Einstein commentator behind us, in a shear moment of genius during the intro music on this one, goes "OH, A WHALE SONG. EVERYONE HAS TO HAVE A WHALE SONG!" Seriously. Can we all say "CLUELESS!" together now? C'mom.... gimme a "C"! Okay, that's enough. You get the picture. But he sure couldn't. I mean, the video screen is displaying desert sand dunes, for gosh sakes. And this guy thinks he's hearing WHALE sounds? --- Uh.... Hello! McFly?! Anybody home?! Geesh.) The song was cool. Better than I thought it would be live, although I think a lot of folks in this particular audience got lost pretty early on for this one. It's kind of hard to preach a "we're consuming more than our fair share" message to a lot of inebriated folks who have forked over $200 a ticket and think they're having one big '70's flashback, ya know?
    WOW, Chris, I really enjoyed reading your review! Fantastic! I've quoted you above because that part really cracked me up! You have a wonderful sense of humour, and you are very aware of happenings around you.

I also thought Glenn's comment about the "highly medicated professionals" was a hoot! Another gentleman with a great sense of humour and flair for comedy! I would also have particularly enjoyed his reference to "Lyin' Eyes" being in "G", "for all the guitar players out there", since I play guitar and like the key of "G" too!

Joe's "I don't remember" comment was also very funny. Despite there being some strange people in the audience, they were obviously lively enough to bring out the best in the boys. And yes, they can still refer to themselves as "boys" - I call them that!

Your take on WITW is very interesting - I would never have thought of it that way. But I'm not politically minded at all , so it figures!

By the way, Chris - if you're afraid of losing your post because you've been online a long time, copy it first (Control + C) before posting. GA taught me that trick, and it has saved me a lot of heartache!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Thanks so much cmooreNC--I loved the review and the commentary on the crowd-that was great, but sorry you had to put up with some of the nonsense. Makes you wonder why somebody will pay $200.00 for a ticket if they are not going to remember it the next morning?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thanks for the review Chris! I'm glad you had a mostly good time other than too much from Mr. Einstein! Why do some people bother to go to concerts when they are going to talk the whole time? I go to hear the band, not them!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I agree with the others, Chris. That was a very entertaining review. I don't think I will do as well with the Charlottesville review. I will make some mental notes of things, but this time I am going to be too focused on the errr ... the concert to take many notes. And I'm probably gonna clobber any drunk person that tries to get in my way!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I'd say you'll be VERY focussed on the concert Dreamer!! Your duty, you understand
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    I wish I had been lucky enough to see the Eagles open for the Beach Boys back in the day. I bet that was quite a concert!
    Indeed it was. Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ. An old run down stadium that wasn't used for many sporting events anymore, but they had a great summer concert series for many years. I remember seeing many shows there over two summers - Emerson, Lake & Palmer; Yes; Seals & Crofts with America; and this Beach Boys/Eagles pairing are the ones that stick out in my memory, although there were probably a few others. The Eagles dedicated "Already Gone" to Richard Nixon that night. And got called back for a second encore with no idea what they were going to play. Unreal. They came out that second time and said "We really want to thank the Beach Boys for such a great crowd!" The audience response to that comment was a resounding "Boo!" The Beach Boys had no chance before they even took the stage. The Eagles star was rising fast right then and it was just awesome to experience.

It was my only show until the reunion. For awhile I thought I didn't even want to see another Eagles concert (after the reunion), because I felt that first one could never be topped. Although my wife and I saw Don perform several times on "solo" tours and certainly loved those (even caught the "Building the Perfect Beast" tour in Miami, FL, with Katrina & the Waves as an opener ---- THAT was a great show), I wasn't so sure about seeing the full band again. Now it's been twice. Rather silly of me to wonder as I did.

Thanks to everyone for reading my rather lengthy review. Glad to share the experience.
    Chris

I love that they dedicated "Already Gone" to Nixon back then, just like they sing "Bases are loaded and Bush is at bat...time to change the batter" now.

I didn't see Don solo until his Inside Job tour--tell me more about his Building the Perfect Beast tour with Katrina & the Waves. It must have been fantastic.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    I didn't see Don solo until his Inside Job tour--tell me more about his Building the Perfect Beast tour with Katrina & the Waves. It must have been fantastic.
    Well, Katrina and the Waves were riding their "wave" of success with "Walkin' On Sunshine" at the time, so they were a fun opener, as of course they closed their set with that song. The show was at the Knight Center in Miami, which holds somewhere around 5,500, if I recall correctly. We lived up in Melbourne, Florida, at the time, so it was quite a drive down to Miami (about 3-1/2 hours) and a very tiring drive back after the show, but I DO remember it was well worth the trip and the exhaustion. Somehow we had scored about 12th row seats in the center section of the floor seats, on the aisle. I remember during the intermission two guys who were sitting much further back in the lower level had somehow managed to sneak down onto the floor and they were trying to convince someone to swap seats with them for a little extra cash "because we are like the BIGGEST Eagles fans ever". To try and prove it they started asking some Eagles trivia questions that weren't really all that difficult (stuff like "Who was their first bass player?") and of course I could answer their silly questions and they gave up on trying to convince us to move pretty quickly (not that there was any way we were going to give those seats up!). Don opened with the title track off his current album... it was his usual big band (lots of people on stage)... and I remember he and his backing vocalists (there were three, I think) all came out and did this wonderful mime routine with a "factory assembly line" thing going on during the intro of the song. "Building", you know? The place went nuts. It was just great showmanship. With only the two solo albums at the time, we got almost all of BTPB and many songs off the first solo release, but also several Eagles songs. I remember that "Life In The Fast Lane" was certainly a highlight and of course "Hotel California" cropped up and the crowd went absolutely insane. It was also the only time I've ever heard "A Month of Sundays" live. Great song. And of course the show closer was Desperado. Awesome concert.

Thanks for asking me to share my recollections. It was a loooong time ago. I'm surprised I remember that much!
    Chris

Your recollections are fantastic, Chris! Thanks for sharing them with us!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down