Page 2 of 73 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol

YAAAAAAAAAAY! I'm so excited that David Cook won!!!!!! I didn't think it was going to happen with the way everyone was oohing and aahing over D. Archuleta. I'll admit it...I'm an American Idol fan and watch it every year. This year DC was my favorite since the very beginning and the ONLY reason that me, my niece, my sis, my nephew, and his girlfriend bought tickets to see the AI tour in Minneapolis on Aug. 31! On an interesting side note, my nephew's girlfriend's sister-in-law (got that? lol) used to date DC in college.

On another note......if anyone is interested in listening to Mr. Cook..I would recommend downloading these songs (the studio versions) -

Billie Jean
    Little Sparrow
    Innocent
    Eleanor Rigby
    Always Be My Baby

Stuck on the Border

Darn it if something else didn't interfere with seeing the finals of American Idol!

I didn't know who had won until I saw someone ahead of me on the airplane reading a USA today. Yeah!!! I'm glad David C. won!

Stuck on the Border

I don't watch 'Idol' programs but the Australian competitor Michael Johns had a lot of publicity down here. There was talk that he was unlucky to lose. I know that is the parochial Australian media so can one of you non-biased Americans tell me what he was like (if you remember him at all, that is)?

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by EasyFeeling
    Quote Originally Posted by Share1967
    I am glad David Cook won, being from Missouri too. Plus....I just love a rocker.
    You love a rocker? Then you should come over to the German Idol and take a look.

I've heard David Cook won. Congratulations! I don't know all songs but I liked what I've heard.
    Yep, I love guys that rock. I need to check out the German Idol if they have some fellas on there like that. I was really into the big hair bands in the 80's

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I don't watch 'Idol' programs but the Australian competitor Michael Johns had a lot of publicity down here. There was talk that he was unlucky to lose. I know that is the parochial Australian media so can one of you non-biased Americans tell me what he was like (if you remember him at all, that is)?
    I really liked Michael Johns too. In fact liked him more than David Cook. He was another rocker. If I remember correctly the night they had inspirational songs night he did Aerosmiths Dream On. Simon told him he made a mistake in the song. I thought it was great. .....but..next night he was gone. If I am remembering correctly.

I liked Michael Johns a lot as well. In fact, I would say he was probably the most natural on stage, definently a performer. Vocally I liked him but didn't think he had as strong a voice as David Cook. I think he had a little more mellow voice that DC's...which isn't bad but I like a little rasp. The judges said several times that he had a natural ability to be a big time frontman for a huge band and I definently agree with that. And Dolly Parton definently fell for him!

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah
    I liked Michael Johns a lot as well. In fact, I would say he was probably the most natural on stage, definently a performer. Vocally I liked him but didn't think he had as strong a voice as David Cook. I think he had a little more mellow voice that DC's...which isn't bad but I like a little rasp. The judges said several times that he had a natural ability to be a big time frontman for a huge band and I definently agree with that. And Dolly Parton definently fell for him!
    I agree. Very accurate description.

Stuck on the Border

I agree, also with Maleah's description.

Michael was very likable and very handsome. Probably, the best looking of the bunch. He did have an incredible voice. The comparisons (because of his looks and his voice) to Michael Hutchence were inevitable.

I agree with Simon's description that he seemed to be doing an "impersonation" of whatever artist he was doing. Many of his performances lacked originality which is something they are looking for. David Cook took a lot of risks with changing up arrangements, etc. which won him points with the judges.

Michael's best week IMO was singing Dolly Parton's "It's All Wrong But It's All Right". He totally changed up the arrangement and made it a blues song. Incredible.

Early on, I would have thought he had a chance to win it all, but he probably became too predictable That being said, I still think we'll be hearing more from him.

Default American Idol

Is there enough interest here to start a separate thread for American Idol? Is anyone else a fan? This is the place to discuss all things American Idol, and since a new season has begun there should be a lot to talk about. For instance, how does everybody feel about Alan Osmond's son getting in?

I've watched since the middle of season 1, and although my favorite part by far is the final 10 rounds, I do enjoy the auditions - some are hilarious!

What do you all think?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Default Re: American Idol

I watched the first two seasons but kind of fell off after that. However, my interest has been piqued again recently because I like Daughtry and David Cook so much, and I've been checking it out again.

I noticed they have a new girl judge now. I hope this isn't the beginning of the phasing out of Paula! I love Paula! The new girl kind of rubs me the wrong way for some reason. When she was "demonstrating" how to sing at the auditions... ugh!

As for David Osmond... hmmm. I guess we'll see. I hope he didn't get picked because of his last name, but if he did, I doubt he'll last long. He may not last long anyway, simply because the perception is out there that he may have gotten special preference.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten