Page 8 of 73 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol

Default Re: American Idol

OK - I just checked - she's still in. Since they moved her from one room to another, it's little wonder we were confused, but they were both winning rooms. Which begs the question - why did they do that?

Way to falsely get my hopes up, evet.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I guess it was just wishful thinking, judging from all the comments from the Peanut Gallery in my house.

Just before they moved Tatiana from the losers room to the winners room it showed the judges struggling with keeping the guys and girls counts equal. Remember, they have to have an equal amount of both!

I didn't see 'my' contestant Megan Corkrey during Hollywood week either, yet it shows her in the top 36. Why do they give some people so much air time and others none?

Wait, I just read Soda's post again...they were both winners rooms?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

That's right, PM, they were both winner's rooms. Apparently they were just screwing with the contestant's heads and hoping to create drama. Seems rather mean to me, frankly, and so unnecessary. The drama is not that interesting. We want singing!

As far as the air time given to each contestant... it's really unfair that they give so many contestants short shrift on coverage. This kind of thing could seriously sabotage the chances of those who don't get airtime - people will vote for those they've connected with due to the focus on them rather than those they don't know thanks to the lack of coverage by the producers. The other side of that is that people like Tatiana and uber-drama queen Nate aren't likely to make it very far due to their unsympathetic edits.

They give the airtime to those they have "storylines" for - those who create drama (Tatiana, etc), those who have sob stories (Danny, Scott, etc.), those who have some kind of "hook" (bikini girl, oil rig guy, "Norman Gentle," Broadway vet Adam, etc.). Then, those who mess up or get raves from the judges usually get a few seconds. The average Joes and Janes who can sing well but have no "narrative" accompanying them... they're relegated to the cutting room floor.

BTW, am I the only one who doesn't see the talent that supposedly is hidden behind the facade of "Norman Gentle"?

I agree with you Soda. I don't even like him when he's 'normal'.

The good news, I guess, is that never has a drama queen (king) been voted American Idol. In fact, they usually don't last very long.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Adam didn't impress me this week. Cher's "Believe"???

But Matt Girard doing "Georgia"... wow. Incredible!

I also thought Jamal's "Hey There Delilah" wasn't that great. Widower Danny G. was better. Paula jumping up during Danny's performance was kind of lame though - it wasn't THAT great!

Anoop's "Perogative" was surprisingly good! I also like Jorge's "Closer."

I was worried about Scott being "Stunt casting" but he's definitely good.

Lil' Rounds has a great voice, even if her name grates. I bet she goes far.

I'd say Matt Girard impressed me the most tonight. He and Stevie are my current faves.
    Oh no no no, I must disagree.....Danny's performance WAS that great! lol I absolutely LOVED it! Take away the sad story, take away the fact that he's cute.......he has a fantastic voice! At this point he will get all my votes! But then....I really like Jamal's version of "Hey There Delilah" as well. It was very smooth. I also really like Ju Not's version.

I wasn't impressed with Adam this week either. Not one of his best.

the three guys after him, Matt G (I believe), Jamal, and Danny were my 3 fav.'s of the night. Matt's version of Georgia was awesome!!

As of right now, for the girls I really like Stevie, Lil Rounds, Jessie, and Kristen

Guys I choose Danny, Matt, Michael, and Jamal.

I am NOT happy that the so called comedy guy has made it this far.

I was thinking about all the people who forgot their lyrics and made it - maybe that stipulation was just for the group round?

Maleah - I didn't think Danny was awful, but he's done better. I'm not sorry he made it through, though. Kristen, however - I wouldn't have minded seeing her sent home. That bit that Seacrest did with "What if Nancy was behind you ready to apologize...." of course she wasn't there - how lame was that??

But I don't understand why Laneshe (ex-homeless girl) went home. I thought she did well on "I'm Not Gonna Write You A Love Song."

And while I understand they're trying to build suspense, I don't like the head games. "I'm sorry... it's not good news...[long pause] it's GREAT news! You're in!"

The whole "sing-off" thing confused me. What was the purpose of that? Weren't the Top 36 already decided?

I had to go out and missed all of last night's show...but I read that it was "boring" on msnbc.com (where I go for pretty much all of my news.) Now I can go back and study Soda's spoiler picture and see the end result! One thing I also read was a little disturbing about new judge Kara, whom up until now I really think is a needed addition. She has gone on the record as saying that if a contestant is "a plus size...50 lbs overweight," she will use that in her consideration and comments. She said that in light of the latest Jessica Simpson hubbub, an up-and-coming star needs to be aware that this is a factor in their success. The reporter then goes on to reference Jessica Hudson's recent accomplishments at the SuperBowl and the Grammys, implying that Kara might be incorrect in her assessment.

AI has had many an overweight singer who can really sing, and that has not stopped them from winning votes week after week. Now, don't get me wrong...I am all for healthful living. But these people will be subject to the public eye, and will have enough pressure put upon them without Kara verbalizing it to the TV millions. Does anyone recall how pudgy Carrie Underwood was during the AI season? And how absolutely stunning she became within the first year of her career?

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I don't get to watch this but I keep checking here for updates. What about Jesse Langseth? Is she still there and one of those Soda talked about that doesn't get put on often? How is she doing?

I found this on YouTube earlier.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-ReAMmPj4A&feature=related[/ame]
    Last edited by TimothyBFan; 02-12-2009 at 11:38 AM.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

eaglesvet - ugh, I hate hearing crap like that. If it were up to Kara, Jennifer Hudson wouldn't have made the Top 12 - and even she must admit that Jennifer has done quite well for herself in spite of her weight, as the article points out.

TBF, here's who made it to the top 36. I'm posting it now because it's no longer a spoiler.

Both my girl Stevie and Jesse Langseth are still there. I worry about their chances to go further, though, since they've been featured so little.