This an article from last year that I don’t believe has been posted here (maybe in the Remembering Glenn thread?). The part about the LB album is interesting to me esp. after hearing the songs for the first time on the Eagles SiriusXM station. The part about keeping in touch with old friends is probably familiar to most.

On his first album with Longbranch Pennywhistle

I listen to it now and think, That's not very good. I think (it lacks) the maturity to know what to leave out, and what's the appropriate investment for a song of any particular topic. Jackson Browne said to me once, "It's a big song about a small story," and I knew exactly what he meant. There's a way to invest the (big) stories with more detail and more length. It just sounds immature to me. I'd only been writing for a couple years, and that was the first bunch of even decent songs.

On whether he is still close to the musicians he came up with

I'm very close to (Ronstadt), I'm still very close to Jackson, I talk to him all the time. Don and I keep sending each other the same silly emails we always have. Probably the person I saw the least of the last few years, to my regret, was Glenn. It hit us all very hard that he died. I was his first partner, he was my first songwriting partner and best friend. When we were just babies we did a lot of really crazy stuff for no money, just for anyone who would let us play.
“JD Souther has written everything, for everyone” Chicago Tribune, May 19, 2016