Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: JD Souther

Default Re: JD Souther

Wow, thanks for the fantastic review Soda - it sounds like a really special night. I would have loved to have been there.

That's awesome that he did Talking To The Moon. What a treat!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    So, as you guys know, I was really hoping to get my Longbranch Pennywhistle album signed. Well, it happened! He was signing stuff afterwards and I handed it to him. He did a double take when he saw Glenn's signature and paused. "Well, I'll guess I'll sign it by me" (Glenn had signed by his picture on the album). His handwriting is little more than a scrawl, but I think he wrote "Best Wishes, JD Souther." lol He signed his new CD for me, too, and personalized it "To Nancy." I love that!
    I am so glad to hear that!!! Now it is complete!!!! I was thinking about you last night and wondering if you would get to actually meet with him and get him to do it!! That is such a special album now. Will you get it framed?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I certainly will get it framed! Never thought I'd have BOTH signatures. I was so thrilled!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I'm so glad you enjoyed the show and now have both signatures on your album--quite a feat!
    And I can't believe he sang Talking to the Moon--I forgot Don collaborated with JD on that one! That must have been amazing.

Wow, Soda. Glad you had such a great time. That is quite a thing to have both signatures on the album! I had never heard any of JD's recordings before I started following The Border, but I am glad that I have been introduced to him as a singer & not just as a co-writer of Eagles songs. I very much enjoy listening to his voice.

Nice review Soda - sometimes those intimate settings are the best!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Wow, Soda, that's terrific about getting to meet JD and getting his signature on your album. How cool to chat about Glenn and Taylor as well. It sounds as if it was a great evening, and thanks for your review.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow Nanc - That is fantastic that you were able to get J.D.'s autograph on that album. I am going to go out on a limb and say there aren't too many of them around and the few that do exist were probably signed years ago. This is a rare collector's item that you definitely want to preserve. You need to take a picture of it to show Glenn at Pebble Beach if he plays in February.

Glad you enjoyed the show. I would like to see him play as well, but right now he isn't scheduled to play anywhere near my home town.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado

Default J.D. Souther in the Press, Philly.com

Posted on Tue, Oct. 14, 2008

Tunes for all tastes

By JONATHAN TAKIFF
    Philadelphia Daily News
    takiffj@phillynews.com 215-854-5960
    Rock, soul, jazz and classical are all well-represented with new CD releases this week.
    OLD KID IN TOWN: Where's J.D. Souther been the last two decades? In Nashville, living off his songwriting royalties. (Yeah, all those Eagles' covers made him rich.)
    Good news is that the guy's comeback, "If The World Was You" (MRI Associated, A-), is a near-perfect project, re-establishing where much of the Southern California country-rock-noir movement came from and how good that genre can still be.
    Souther still sounds a lot like old playmate Glenn Frey after a hard night of carousing, with muted horn and piano-vamping arrangements that evoke jazz classics like "All Blues" and another Souther contemporary, Tom Waits.
    Several tunes are stamped with his sultry, south-of-the-border rhythms and streetwise lyrics, like "Come On Up," wherein he reminds, "People tell you anything you want to hear/ The truth is always whispering in your ear." Also juicy are his biting appraisals of egotistical women ("A Chorus of Your Own"), his metaphoric example of a life spoiled by self-indulgence ("House of Pride") and well-turned declaration of love eternal, "I'll Be Here at Closing Time."
    Last edited by Just Another Hired Hand; 12-05-2008 at 11:58 AM. Reason: html error

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: J.D. Souther in the Press, Philly.com

"Souther still sounds a lot like old playmate Glenn Frey after a hard night of carousing..."

Wow - now that's something I gotta see!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016