Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Crosslake, MN 6-14-08

Stuck on the Border

Eat your heart out Bob Lefsetz!!!

All that 'holds the plug and keys the switch' stuff and the barriers coming down - I know exactly what Mr Sullivan means and I would like to thank him for his insight.

Yes, it was really interesting! And there's more coming, too. Hopefully he'll post it soon!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

WOW. What an incredible piece of writing and insight. And what high praise for Glenn . Thanks for posting this, Soda - it really warmed my heart. It's great to read that someone recognises Glenn's importance not only as an artist but as a member of the Eagles.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

That is just fabulous. What a great piece of writing, and at last some deep respect for Glenn's talent.
    Hell, Otis comes with his own universe.
    This made me laugh - what is it about this kid?

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Default Re: Glenn solo concert in Crosslake, Minnesota!

Another chapter of Thomas Sullivan's story here

Stuck on the Border

Jeez ..... he nailed it.

If I attempted to explain WHY he nailed it I would make a fool of myself. All I will say is that he got the 'leadership' part down very well.

Look what's to be found in the newsletters archived on Sullivan's site - photos from Crosslake (not the highest quality, but still, it's cool. There's a nice one of Deacon on a couch).

June Newsletter

July Newsletter

The July newsletter also has more on his time with the Freys that was not included on the blogs:

Glenn Frey, founder of the Eagles, has a whole wing in the castle of my life. We sorta came together 20 years ago like a couple of mavericks -- he with elegance and class, me with...uh, say, did I ever tell you about my chinchilla socks? Anyway, Glenn’s invitation to spend three days chilling out in Crosslake near where he was performing at Manhattan Beach Lodge was made even more special by the fact that his wife Cindy, two sons, and father-in-law were there. Deacon (15) and Otis Lincoln Douglas (6) are a couple of scene-stealers on any given night. Last month I said I’d write a column about the whole happening, but the many insights a writer of books can get looking over the shoulder of a legendary success in a neighboring art form have given me reason to turn it into a series. The first part is just now up on StorytellersUnplugged.com: http://www.storytellersunplugged.com/thomas-sullivan-cross-lake-glenn-frey-breathing-the-sky

With all the fish Deacon and Otis took out of Island Lake you might think the pre-concert meal was a fish Frey, but that was strictly catch-and-release and so we had an exquisite BBQ just before the big event. That languid hour or two leading up to the night’s excitement was what I’ll remember most. Terrific friends in a terrific setting, watching the lakes -- Island Lake, Lower Whitefish Lake, Loon Lake -- sparkle through a window wall of the house. We decided that Cross Lake’s irregular shape is the new Rorschach inkblot test. I got a cat vomiting a mouse out of it or a gnome yanking a carpet out from under a fat dragon in heat. In retrospect, Cross Lake was all about contrasts. Dynamic energy, slow raptures. All of it meaningful. Glenn leaves nothing to chance on concert day, but he was styled the King of Cool early in his career and that’s never changed. In fact, director Cameron Crowe has said that the movie Almost Famous is loosely about Glenn, which is why he was a consultant on “coolness” for it. Deacon seems to be in line for that crown. Couldn’t help but admire the young man’s concentration as he was about to make his vocal debut in front of a few thousand people. And Otis…yeesh. The kid is pure spontaneity. Other than a sound-check gig on the tambourine a few hours earlier, he had zero prep. I’m like Peter Pan whenever I’m around kids, and I put Cindy on notice that I was going to kidnap Otis and take him home with me. Maybe the fact that the next day was Father’s Day had something to do with it.

Much more over in the column, but I’m running long here. Apologies for the blurriness of the photo below taken on-stage of Glenn & Deacon. Besides the fact that I didn’t hold the cell phone camera steady, the stage was vibrating like you wouldn’t believe. There are some additional pictures from Crosslake in last month’s newsletter on my website.

These excerpts are wonderful. Thanks for finding them, Soda, and to Thomas for his intimate insights into Frey family life, and his summing up of all that we admire in The Man himself.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Default Re: Crosslake, MN 6-14-08

NEW PHOTOS!!! Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. While our boys have been away travelling, we have had to sign up to Facebook to see their pics. In an idle moment I did a search on the Eagles and found a new set of photos from Glenn's Crosslake show last year! These are tasters. I'll post a link, but you may have to log in to see them all.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...31&id=13903284

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Crosslake, MN 6-14-08

That one of Desperado is fantastic!!!!

I don't have a Facebook account. Please, GA, please can you post the others?

*Edit: or anyone else who has Facebook? Not even to see these photos can I be persuaded to sign up to it. It holds no attraction for me at all because who on earth would want to read about my life?
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-19-2009 at 08:12 PM.