Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Crosslake, MN 6-14-08

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke
    Cool!

Otis Lincoln Douglas Frey? That's quite a name to live up to, for sure!
    I had heard Otis was for Otis Redding, but I didn't know his middle names were Lincoln-Douglas, like the debates. Wonder what the Freys were thinking when they came up with that?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Ha! I was going to mention the Lincoln-Douglas debates but thought....nah!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Out on the Border

Default solo show

Hi there- new poster here.
    I was at the Minnesota show, too, so I thought I'd add some thoughts.

I had only heard about the show about a week ago, and was able to snag VIP tickets from a friend who knows him. A lucky break for me. The show was in the city of Manhattan Beach (not Crosslake as the thread title says, or Brainerd, as Glenn kept saying. Crosslake is about 5 miles away. Brainerd is about 30 miles away). Glenn has been to the area several times, fishing and playing golf; and he's friends with Rick Born, the lodge owner and multi-millionaire who put on the show. Rick has had Glenn play at his house near Minneapolis, too, at a party for his friends. Doncha wish YOU could hire Glenn to play at your house party?

I thought it was a very good show. Glenn had a cold, which may explain why he wasn't as animated as he usually is. The sound was good overall, though the closer you got to the stage, the worse it was, since the speakers were all facing farther outward. Usually, there are speakers pointed down at the folks in the front rows, but there weren't on Saturday. Ironically, the people who paid the most for their tickets got the worst sound

Deacon was a lot of fun to watch (and I went with my 16 year old nephew, who thought Deacon was the highlight), but the best thing for me, as a father, was watching Glenn as he watched Deacon perform. The pride on his face was so much fun to see. And, it seemed like Glenn took special pride in seeing his son perfom so well on Father's Day weekend. Since Deacon was taking Henley's vocal parts, he would copy Henley's vocal inflections, too, which seemed to amuse Glenn. Deacon's 'guitar duel' with Danny at the end of Hotel California was a real treat, too.

Despite a slow start, and a rain delay, it really was a fun show to watch. Go Glenn!

Welcome, John! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I created the thread when I first got the news, and the flyer for the program said that the lodge was in Crosslake. I asked some folks what was up with that and they said that the town line between Crosslake and Manhattan Beach was pretty much RIGHT there where the lodge is - is that incorrect?

I'm sorry to hear Glenn had a cold. You'd never have known it from the strength of his vocals. What a pro!

Your mention of the party Born hired Glenn to do rang a bell - I actually have a page about that in my tour archive. Joe Walsh was at that party, too. Must have been wild!

The photos I took didn't turn out the greatest and the angle isn't very flattering, but I'm hoping that some of the people around me took better ones and will send them to me (I handed out my e-mail to a few folks).

No more cloudy days...

Out on the Border

Yeah, he sounded very good despite the cold. When he told that guy by you that he couldn't touch him, it was because he was afraid of spreading the germs, or catching some more

I have a link to some pics from the event , but the system isn't letting me post it. I'll try again later.

Cheers!

Ooh, can't wait to see your photos!

In the meantime, I got this off a local news site:

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by johnjohnm
    Yeah, he sounded very good despite the cold. When he told that guy by you that he couldn't touch him, it was because he was afraid of spreading the germs, or catching some more

I have a link to some pics from the event , but the system isn't letting me post it. I'll try again later.

Cheers!
    Welcome from me too JJM! I'd love to have been there. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics as well as Sodas
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Oh my gosh, check out all the photos here!

http://spotted.brainerddispatch.com/...6472&offset=20

Some highlights:

Out on the Border

The pictures aren't mine. the brainerd newspaper has several pages of pictures from the event on their site, including some nice ones of the double rainbow that appeared after the 'rain break'. No more cloudy days, indeed!
    If you search for the brainerd dispatch, then do an image search for "Frey", it should bring you to the pages.