Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Crosslake, MN 6-14-08

I loved the hair too - it looks so great when it's long enough to show the waves.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Soda so happy you were able to go. What an adventure and this will be a great story in the "how many times" topic for new members months/years down the road to read about. You had it all, floods, detours, downpours, tornadoes but also rainbows and a good show! Love all the pictures too.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Now that I've started breathing again after seeing these photos, I want to thank you for that blog by Thomas Sullivan, Nancy. What a lovely warm glimpse of the Frey family and their friends. And I need to ask, what are the Lincoln-Douglas debates? It occurs to me that Otis is OLD Frey!!!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

I decided to leave this thread for last today, since I missed so much over my long weekend. And OH MY WORD, I am quite speechless.

I haven't even gone through everything as meticulously as I'd like to (I suppose tomorrow is another day - sigh), but I managed to read your MAGNIFICENT review, Soda, and view all the AMAZING photos, so I want to THANK YOU a thousand fold!!! What a wonderful treat to come back to after having had GFO withdrawal for three days!

You went through such a torrid time trying to get to see Glenn - I'm sure he would REALLY appreciate your dedication - do you think he spotted you?

Welcome to The Border, JJM! Thank you SO much for your input as well. It's great to have you here!!

FP, when I saw the photos of Glenn without the guitar, you are the first person I thought of. It's indeed great to see him perform without it. I was watching "Live In Dublin" two nights ago, and thought of what an amazing performer he is when he sang "Livin' Right" without the guitar. Glenn doesn't realise how many attributes he has.

I'm sorry that Glenn was ill (and a bit grumpy too, apparently ) - it's probably all the touring that has caused his resistance to drop. We tend to forget that he's nearly 60 years old! At least he did manage to get into the spirit of the concert, and it's great that Deacon was once again given a chance to show off his talent. Soda, you're right - Deacon DOES look older. I noticed that too. He seems to have filled out a bit, and I noticed how tall he looks, too - he's the same height as his dad!

I wonder, though, why Glenn has now also become so dead-set against the recording of his shows. He was relaxed about it at the Roxy, so I was very surprised. Oh well, maybe there are things that have happened that we don't know about, so I respect his wishes.

All-in-all, another fantastic event. Thank you once again, Soda, for sharing your experiences with us! I'm just sorry that you had to go through such an ordeal!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, I'm finally getting around to commenting on these. Oh man, I so wish I could have gone with you Soda. Like you said, even if Glenn wasn't at the top of his game, the show was probably still wonderful. The pictures are absolutely HS&G, although I agree that Glenn does look tired in some of them.

I would have loved to see Deacon perform again, and it does indeed look as if Dad is giving him fashion advice. It would have been worth the trip just to see Otis on stage. So it looks like these are Mr. Tamborine man himself (and friends) on stage behind Dad.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

OMG! Look what one can miss in just a few hours! The photos are just wonderful, Soda! Thank you so much!

gef's fave is mine also! Glenn under the trees. Hmmmm. Sounds like a peaceful, easy feeling to me! That one is especially gorgeous.

And welcome from me too, jjm. Thanks so much for your review! Oh my, having Glenn play at my house party would be out of this world for sure!

Fp, I noticed the "open shirt/t-shirt" dress code for Deacon, too! Too funny that he actually went with it!

And look how tall Deacon is! I thought the same as gef. He is going to outgrow dear old Dad! What a cutie!

Fp, what does Quiffy mean? Curly? Fluffy? I thought his hair looked a bit "humidity challenged"! But wonderful, no less!

Oh, and if you take the jacket Fp, I'll take Glenn!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

OMG – I forgot to welcome you jjm. Glad you enjoyed Glenn’s show last Saturday and thank you for your review. Also glad that you found us and hope you enjoy yourself here on The Border.

GEF, I also meant to answer your question. The Lincoln Douglas debates were a series of debates that took place between Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas in the 1850’s. They were important because they discussed the issues and morality of slavery. The debates helped Lincoln rise to national prominence and are often used as a model for modern day debates between political candidates here in the states. The only reason I can think for Glenn and Cindy using this as Otis' middle names is because the debates are symbolic for morality, ethics, and values.

And FP - I cracked up at your reaction to this thread. So did you like the pics?

And one last thing - I'm not sure about that being Victor on percussion. I could be wrong, but it doesn't really look like him to me.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by glenneaglesfan
    Now that I've started breathing again after seeing these photos, I want to thank you for that blog by Thomas Sullivan, Nancy. What a lovely warm glimpse of the Frey family and their friends. And I need to ask, what are the Lincoln-Douglas debates? It occurs to me that Otis is OLD Frey!!!
    They're a series of famous debates between then-Illinois-Senatorial candidate Abraham Lincoln and his opposition, Stephen Douglas. They dealt mostly with slavery and established Lincoln as a formidable anti-slavery candidate, springboarding him towards the Presidency after they were published in book form and garnered widespread popularity with the reading public. The debates became a model for a style of debate that emphasizes values and morality using the tools of emotional response, logical analysis, and philosophical theory.

MF - Glenn would've had to have been blind not to see me, as I was right at his feet. But as has been his custom in the past during solo shows, he didn't interact with audience members and instead concentrated on performing. While he's made a couple of notable exceptions , that's not the norm - at least not in recent years. When it comes down to it, that's all I am - another audience member, another Frey fan screaming my head off!

And it's all good to me. I don't attend solo shows in order to get smiled upon. I don't expect him see me in the audience and go "It's NANCY! YAY! I'm so THRILLED she is attending my show! Let me do a dance of joy and dedicate it to her!" lol. I attend solo shows to hear him play and, despite being bummed that he didn't do any new songs, I got what I came for. Seeing his sons onstage was an unexpected treat that made the trip even more worthwhile, although it would have been even cooler to see Taylor, too.

Of course, when I say Glenn didn't interact with specific audience members, I am excluding the "interactions" with those attempting to video him. They sure got some attention! lol I don't know why he suddenly changed his philosophy on that. It's too bad - I was so sure he was cool with it after the Roxy. Oh well. I figure if he had a problem with me filming that, he'd have said so when he had the chance, so who knows what the deal is.

FP - Victor was there, but I can't tell whether that's him on percussion. Folks around me were talking during the percussionist's intro. I have to agree that it doesn't seem to look like him in the photos, but from where I stood, I couldn't see the percussionist AT ALL. A couple times I ducked to see Michael Thompson, but that was it from that side.

ETA: Sorry, didn't realize that Dreamer had already answered the Lincoln-Douglas question!

Another review with pictures:

Northland Press

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke
    OMG!
    Fp, what does Quiffy mean? Curly? Fluffy? I thought his hair looked a bit "humidity challenged"! But wonderful, no less!

Oh, and if you take the jacket Fp, I'll take Glenn!
    A 'quiff' was something that rock stars like Elvis had in the 50s, like a pompadour. Glenn's hair wasn't nearly as lacquered and styled as that but the way it was standing up a bit reminded me of that type of hairstyle.

Re your last comment, touche.