Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost Famous

Default Re: Almost Famous

Off topic a bit, but Jerry Maguire, with Storynotes, is on AMC. Curious to see what they share when Glenn pops again...

Stuck on the Border

I came across a double article about Cameron Crowe and a british rock journalist from that era. It was tied into the release of Almost Famous. It's not about the Eagles but it does a nice job of showing the contrast between the US and UK in the 1970s, which is something I've been struggling with.
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2000...lture.features

Very interesting

Stuck on the Border

After those articles, I had to check out the Guardian review of the film. The reviewer found it a bit pallid, but I found this paragraph interesting
    In a sense it's unfair to expect Almost Famous to serve up some kind of Hollywood Babylon expose: presumably not every 70s rocker was a wild-eyed, heroin-addicted monster pleading sympathy for the devil. Many, surely, were rather like the band members and groupies we see here: essentially well brought up middle-class kids who've grown their hair out a bit. Were it not for the Beatles, they'd probably all be working in law or medicine.
    Review

I think that Cameron Crowe wanted to show a band before they became monsters - when they were still hungry for success and before relatively unspoiled. He talks about 1973 being when it all changed and the corporations moved in - in this film when the new manager arrives to make his pitch and they start travelling by plane rather than the tour bus. Of course, the Eagles embraced the new manager and the party plane lifestyle whereas the movie Stillwater is back on the bus for 1974.

So what if Stllwater didn't make it? What would the band members be doing now?

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I came across a double article about Cameron Crowe and a british rock journalist from that era. It was tied into the release of Almost Famous. It's not about the Eagles but it does a nice job of showing the contrast between the US and UK in the 1970s, which is something I've been struggling with.
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2000...lture.features
    Thank you for this. It was a very interesting read.

Loved the Almost Famous movie and liked reading how Cameron came to get into movies after being a rock journalist.
    Last edited by NYC Fan; 01-11-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Just heard on news radio entertainment news that Cameron Crowe is prepping a show based on a touring rock band, with the roadies as the focal point in the show. It's probably going to be on cable, HBO maybe. Wonder if he's pitched a cameo appearance to Glenn?!

Ooh - that would be cool!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

There's a bit more on it here. If it's something along the lines of Entourage there could be opportunities for lots of cameos.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - it should be an interesting TV show. That last article mentioned Showtime as a possible network. Either way, I don't have HBO or Showtime so I guess I won't be tuning in.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I'm with you, Dreamer, but should any interesting cameos take place, I've very glad that DirecTV can turn it on in under five minutes, because I would then order it.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.