Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Almost Famous

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Almost Famous

Interesting comment from Cameron Crowe.
    "There's also a lot of the Eagles in there," says Crowe. "They craved the spotlight, saw it coming, got scared, ran from it, all that stuff."
    http://content.time.com/time/world/a...056121,00.html

Is he right? Was it all of the band or just some of them? I know that Glenn was their frontman but even he seems to have been uncomfortable with interviews.

It occurs to me that if they had been more high profile, it would have increased the pressure and conflict and they wouldn't have lasted as long.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 08-10-2015 at 11:06 AM.

Banned

I've just recently noticed that Cameron Crowe gets a "Special Thanks" on the sleeve of Joe's So What album. Cameron would have been 17 when the album was released.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Reading this thread has made me want to see the film, even though I despise Kate Hudson and the "sing along on the bus" scene seemed cloyingly sentimental in the previews/commercials.

Supposedly, there is also a character in the film based on Randy but I don't see his name in the credits: Nearly Silent Ron something. Probably a bandmate of Russell's.

Stuck on the Border

It's an enjoyable film and I liked Kate Hudson in it, even though I find her irritating in her rom-coms.

The drummer speaks once during the film but I don't want to spoil it. I don't think he's based on Randy other than his reluctance to speak in interviews.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    and the "sing along on the bus" scene seemed cloyingly sentimental in the previews/commercials.
    Agreed! The song Tiny Dancer was about a groupie ("band aide") if I recall. I want to say Pamela Des Barres. Anyway, despite the Eagles (and some at the time were stating Zepp) references, I was disappointed. It's really a rom-com set in the rock-and-roll world, ala Singles.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurette767 View Post
    Agreed! The song Tiny Dancer was about a groupie ("band aide") if I recall. I want to say Pamela Des Barres. Anyway, despite the Eagles (and some at the time were stating Zepp) references, I was disappointed. It's really a rom-com set in the rock-and-roll world, ala Singles.
    I thought it was about Bernie Taupin's then wife, Maxine.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I thought it was about Bernie Taupin's then wife, Maxine.
    I recall that song being written for Maxine too. I just watched Almost Famous last week on Netflix.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurette767 View Post

I thought the Tiny Dancer scene in the Almost Famous movie was about the band, all wanting to kill each other, rediscovering what brought them together and why they were in the music business.

Tiny Dancer was, for me, an obscure Elton John song until I saw that scene. I can'r believe a bus load of people would all know the words, even if they were working musicians.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Loved the movie and the song Tiny Dancer. My favorite Elton song!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Out on the Border

Yeah, not sure where I read that the song was about a groupie or PDBarres but it seemed to be right when I then listened to the words but I'm no Bernie Taupin expert so not sure really.... On the Wiki for Tiny Dancer, it states that it's a misconception that the song was written for Maxine, but the song was dedicated to Maxine on the album. Anyway, I think maybe people made that connection because des Barres sewed shirts and other gifts for musicians she liked ("seamstress for the band") and she was a dancer of some sort with the GTOs, probably more like performance art than say ballet.

Anyway, yeah, the scene wasn't very subtle.

apologizing for taking this off topic