Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Almost Famous

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Almost Famous

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I enjoyed that, especially Cameron Crowe's version of where they are now - lawsuits about the use of the name and the current Stillwater touring with only one original member.
    I know, right? Welcome to the new millennium.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Well, you all are not going to believe it but, I just saw "Almost Famous(On TCM) for the first time ! I love it ! I could not believe how much the the Russell H./Billy C. character looked like Glenn ! So many Glenn/ Eagles references. It really is a cute movie. I missed the first 15 minutes but I guess that's no big deal.
    On a side note : I remember reading an interview with Bernie way back talking about a few scary flights they had and him stating they thought they would crash. He apparently did not like flying after that. I loved the line about making them look cool. I remember Cameron and Glenn talking numerous times about it. I'll make a point of watching it next time it is on too.

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Well, you all are not going to believe it but, I just saw "Almost Famous(On TCM) for the first time ! I love it ! I could not believe how much the the Russell H./Billy C. character looked like Glenn ! So many Glenn/ Eagles references. It really is a cute movie. I missed the first 15 minutes but I guess that's no big deal.
    On a side note : I remember reading an interview with Bernie way back talking about a few scary flights they had and him stating they thought they would crash. He apparently did not like flying after that. I loved the line about making them look cool. I remember Cameron and Glenn talking numerous times about it. I'll make a point of watching it next time it is on too.
    The first 15 minutes are actually kind of important, but I'm so glad you finally saw it. It's my all time favorite movie. I've watched it 1000 times, but catch something new every time.
    The 70's was "my time" and it's all pretty accurate, from the language to the clothing. And the party in Topeka!! I went to many parties like that.

I love this movie so much. Today while out scouring the thrift stores for another movie, my eyes meticulously reading the labels of the dvds, I saw this and stopped dead in my tracks. I gasped so loud I think I may have startled the fellow shopper that was next to me. I snatched up this movie and almost dropped to my knees. I checked the disc, and thankfully the disc was in pristine condition. I almost cried saying "yes! I finally found it!" I held the dvd up as if it were the holy grail. The guy next to me laughed and said "it sure is great to find a movie you love"

Now I know, thanks to this board that the character of Russell was based mostly on Glenn. Ever since reading about that I've been wondering around what era in the Eagles history did this may have taken place. Here's a clue, near the beginning, when William first meets the band he says "and producing your own album instead of Glyn Johns" so maybe '75? (although I know rather than producing the album themselves, they got Bill Szymczyk).

and yes, Russell looks totally like he was modeled after Glenn.

Sorry about going off topic. I tend to ramble.

Elle - IMO, it's hard to really pinpoint the time other than the 70's. Cameron Crowe has said that Stillwater and the members are based on many bands and artists from that era. He does specifically point out that Glenn was a major inspiration for Russell's character though. Obviously, Russell's look compared to Glenn's would eliminate The Long Run era.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Elle - IMO, it's hard to really pinpoint the time other than the 70's. Cameron Crowe has said that Stillwater and the members are based on many bands and artists from that era. He does specifically point out that Glenn was a major inspiration for Russell's character though. Obviously, Russell's look compared to Glenn's would eliminate The Long Run era.
    yeah, that's true. The whole " I'm a golden god" scene is based on Robert Plant saying that on a hotel balcony. I was just wondering.

Stuck on the Border

It's worth checking Cameron Crowe's website https://www.theuncool.com/

Checking the link, I see there's a new release with extra features:

We have included both cuts of the film, ALL previous extra features, along with the following new special features:

• Filmmaker Focus—Cameron looks back on making the film, what it means to him and the
    • Casting & Costumes— A journey through the casting process. This includes unearthed costume tests shot by John Toll in stunning 35mm along with never before seen rehearsal and audition footage.
    • Rock School—Cameron, Nancy Wilson, Peter Frampton and the actors take us behind the scenes of becoming the band Stillwater.
    • Extended Scenes— A collection of scene extensions and deleted scenes:
      • Jeff Bebe’s first interview
      • Phoenix Arizona Lobby
      • William visits the Rolling Stone offices

• Odds & Sods—Our favorite little moments from earlier cuts of the film that aren’t included in any version of the film. I won’t spoil the almost 9 minutes of these fun tiny moments….

Do I need another copy?

I don't need another copy either, but it does look like they included some interesting 'new' stuff on it. Thanks for the heads up UTW.

Stuck on the Border

I hadn't spent much recently so I gave in. I'll let you know if there's anything interesting when I have enough free time to watch.