Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost Famous

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

Default Re: Almost Famous

OHHH that is just too awesome. Now I know I want to see the commentary!!!!!!!!! Hurry up dvd. LOL. Awww thinking of Glenn as a big brother. I love that.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

Glenn Frey

Russell Hammond

Eagle Poker!

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

Man he looks so much like Glenn!!!! From that amazing hair down to his white shirt. OHHH be still my heart. MMMMM man you are torturing me. LOL.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Almost Famous was one of the first movies I bought on Blu Ray... Especially as its a longer version than was shown at cinemas... Brilliant movie...

I woke up this morning with an attitude
    looked at the headline, put me in a real bad mood

Another former staffer at Rolling Stone (who admits she made Crowe cry, much as his character does in the film), remembers that people were envious of the wunderkind because "he got such incredible access." So much access, that rock icons think of Crowe as family. "He was like a little brother" says Glenn Frey of the Eagles. "You wanted to put your arm around him and say, 'Kid, this is rock and roll.' " Most of all, Crowe is remembered for blending in, the best kind of journalist. "Cameron didn't say a lot," recalls Frey.
    From Newsweek, 2000

I was going to start another thread of Glenn and Cameron, but this is jut a good place as any....I just think the lasting bond between the two is very sweet. Cameron first interviewed them in '72, when he was about 15 and Glenn was 23/24, so I can see how the big/little brother bond began. He interviewed them pretty consistently throughout the decade, and did the liner notes and interview with Don/Glenn in 2003, so there's been a listing tie between CC and the band. (The band, as solo members, contributed a lot of tracks to Cameron's first screenplay made into a film, "Fast Times at Ridgemont High, too.) Cameron's website, the uncool.com, has transcripts of all this Eagles writings over the years...

I just wonder what it was like when Cameron had to direct Glenn in that small cameo in Jerry Maguire. Did Glenn ever envision that the scruffy teenager he befriended 30 years earlier would be a great Hollywood director, and one be the "boss" of him, so to speak, on a movie set? What was the dynamic? And then the loose tribute through the Russell Hammond character in AF--I'd just love to know the particulars of their bond throughout the decades, and Glenn's reaction to AF...? I don't know, maybe I'm just sappy, but I adore that happenstance that threw the two together 40 years ago has endured.

Part of me is sad Cameron wasn't part of the documentary--he's helmed a few rock docs before, and who has better insight into the band in the 70s? I wonder though if Cameron is considered at this point to be "too close" to the band, and they wanted someone more objective? Would have been nice to perhaps have an interview with him in the doc, though....

Definitely a cool bond between them! I never even realized Cameron Crowe had once worked for Rolling Stone before I became an Eagles fan. I first heard of him in conjunction with Jerry Maguire, and at the time I didn't even know that was Glenn Frey playing the team owner.

As far as his participation in the doc - I would've loved to have seen some interviews from him as well, but who knows what factors play into such things. I mean, they sat down with Stevie Nicks and only used like 20 seconds!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Cameron reminicing in 2000 Rolling Stone:

Who is Russell Hammond, really?
    I saw Glenn Frey at a dinner party recently, and I realized that so much of Russell is Glenn. He was the coolest guy I had ever met in 1972. I was backstage at a concert interviewing everybody – the Eagles, King Crimson, Ballin’ Jack, Chaka Khan. In the Eagles’ dressing room, everyone’s talking about Glenn – the one guy who isn’t there. He’s out looking for babes. Everyone’s like, “The thing about Glenn,” “Oh, one time Glenn and I…” And then, like a one-act play, Glenn appears. He walks in a little buzzed, he’s got al long-neck Bud, and he’s like, “How ya doing’?” Just classic. That whole thing of “Tonight, friends – tomorrow, the interview” was him. And there’s one line he really did say to me: “Look, just make us look cool.” He was also the first guy who told me about crafting a buzz long before I could ever enact it.
    The recipe, please.
    OK. He’s like, “If you want to craft a buzz correctly, you walk into a party, you drink two beers quickly. Then you drink a beer every hour and fifteen minutes after that. You’ll always have a buzz and you’ll never get too embarrassing.” I was like, “Uh… yeah, I know that.” Meanwhile, I’m furiously writing it down.
    SOURCE

I was playing my Fast Times at Ridgemont High vinyl the other day and I noticed that...the solo Eagles all over it. I hadn't really noticed that when I first got it. I love that movie too...I had forgotten that CC made it...no wonder!
    If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...

Quote Originally Posted by AEW21 View Post
    Cameron reminicing in 2000 Rolling Stone:

SOURCE
    I've read this before..I adore this quote.
    and Glenn's "crafting a buzz" recipe is so cool haha. I love that...if only I had heard this before I went to college!
    If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty&Hot View Post
    I was playing my Fast Times at Ridgemont High vinyl the other day and I noticed that...the solo Eagles all over it. I hadn't really noticed that when I first got it. I love that movie too...I had forgotten that CC made it...no wonder!
    Glenn is conspicuous by his absence from the Ridgemont High soundtrack.