Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost Famous

Default Re: Almost Famous

I wonder if that's less because of an issue 'tween him and Cameron, and more between him and the other guys--"They're particpating with solo stuff? Then not me..."?

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

Or maybe also because he didn't have a song that fit the movie soundtrack. I dunno if that's true... But just a consideration
    If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...

Stuck on the Border

My belief is that he deliberately avoided it. Of course it is possible that he wasn't asked.

And didn't Irving produce Fast Times, or at least the OST?

He's worked with Cameron a few times since, think they see each other socially, and they did ask him to do the linger notes for Very Best Of... In 2003, so I have a hard time thinking there was a personal issue 'tween Cameron and Don. Maybe he ddijn't have a song to offer or maybe it was to avoid any lingering Eagles-esque association so relatively close to the break-up...? Who knows.

A Don/Russell photoset on Tumblr

ASPEN TIMES: Felder has also figured in two memorable movies. In “Jerry Maguire,” he played the penny-pinching boss who inspired the “Show me the money!” scene. And Felder was a key inspiration for the character Russell Hammond, the star guitarist in Cameron Crowe’s rock drama, “Almost Famous.” As legend has it, it was Felder who uttered the true-life line, to the young reporter Crowe, “Just make us look good [cool].”

“I’m sure it was me,” Felder said of the line. “I was young.”
    ETA: That Felder-into-Felder thing is freaking me out!

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

I had no idea that Almost Famous was based on a true story though. LOL I feel like I was the only one who didn't know that G l e n n knew Cameron Crowe!!!!!! It's so amazing hearing him talk on the bootlegs and actually knowing what went on. LOL. Too awesome.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Rolling Stone: Who is Russell Hammond, really?
    Cameron Crowe:I saw G L E N N F R E Y at a dinner party recently, and I realized that so much of Russell is G L E N N. He was the coolest guy I had ever met in 1972. I was backstage at a concert interviewing everybody – the Eagles, King Crimson, Ballin’ Jack, Chaka Khan.
    From this line, it sounds like he didn't write the role with G L E N N in mind, just that it came to him later on that he was a lot like G L E N N

Cameron Crowe's first road trip was with the Allman Brothers, not the Eagles, so it is based on a true story, but the band was a combination of many of the bands out there in the early 70's.

WTH? When you type in G L E N N's name it comes up as Don Felder??

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow - I had a week from hell at work last week and wasn't able to post. So I'm way behind on this thread and I have a lot to say. First of all, AEW I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it here, but I'm surprised they didn't interview Cameron as well. I guess it's possible that he was interviewed and they decided not to use it, but that's doubtful to me. I would have loved to hear his thoughts about the band.

With regard to G l e n n not appearing on the Ridgemont High soundtrack, I tend to agree with FP that it was probably by his choice. He probably wasn't comfortable associating his name with the other band members at that point because it could have sparked all the 'when are the Eagles going to get back together' speculation. Also, he wasn't under Irving's management at the time.

Now, as far as Almost Famous, I have said many times how much I love the movie. The film isn't based on a true story, but, as Topkat said, is a composite of Cameron's experiences with many of the bands he met and interviewed back in the day. I think it is a pretty accurate look at 70's rock stars. Cameron has said G l e n n was a key inspiration for the Russell Hammond character, but not the only one.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

LOL, Dreamer, I have to laugh that we have to spell out G l e n n, lol.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post

With regard to G l e n n not appearing on the Ridgemont High soundtrack, I tend to agree with FP that it was probably by his choice. He probably wasn't comfortable associating his name with the other band members at that point because it could have sparked all the 'when are the Eagles going to get back together' speculation. Also, he wasn't under Irving's management at the time.

Now, as far as Almost Famous, I have said many times how much I love the movie. The film isn't based on a true story, but, as Topkat said, is a composite of Cameron's experiences with many of the bands he met and interviewed back in the day. I think it is a pretty accurate look at 70's rock stars. Cameron has said G l e n n was a key inspiration for the Russell Hammond character, but not the only one.
    Why would you think G L E N N made the choice not to do a song for the movie FTARH? He doesn't pick out the music for the movie, the musical director does. Maybe there just wasn't a G L E N N song that fit into the story. I didn't even THINK of the EAGLES when I saw that movie or thought of an Eagles reunion. If they are all doing solo songs, why would people speculate about a reunion? I didn't even know who was singing the songs when I saw the movie.

As for Almost Famous, yes most of it is based on Cameron Crowe's own story, but the band was fictitious....From the line I quoted from him, he says that he realized the Russell character was a lot like G L E N N AFTERWARD, not while he was writing the movie, so it was not originally based on or written about G L E N N.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Why would you think G L E N N made the choice not to do a song for the movie FTARH? He doesn't pick out the music for the movie, the musical director does. Maybe there just wasn't a G L E N N song that fit into the story. I didn't even THINK of the EAGLES when I saw that movie or thought of an Eagles reunion. If they are all doing solo songs, why would people speculate about a reunion? I didn't even know who was singing the songs when I saw the movie.

As for Almost Famous, yes most of it is based on Cameron Crowe's own story, but the band was fictitious....From the line I quoted from him, he says that he realized the Russell character was a lot like G L E N N AFTERWARD, not while he was writing the movie, so it was not originally based on or written about G L E N N.
    If you read Dreamer's post she said it COULD have sparked speculation. This view is as valid as just saying 'maybe it didn't'. And as I have said to you several times before, just because you didn't think about the possibility at the time does not mean that other people didn't.