Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost Famous

Default Re: Almost Famous

Frankly, I only recognized Jackson Browne's song from the movie.I haven't seen it in a long time, but I never even knew that Don Felder, or Don Henley or even T I M O T H Y did songs for that movie... It is pretty strange that most of them have songs in it...J O E too!!!
    What year was FTARH?? I'm guessing sometime in the 80's but I don't remember exactly.
    I'm going to have to look for that soundtrack & listen to it again, now that I know they are all on it...Are any of the songs on any of their solo albums?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Frankly, I only recognized Jackson Browne's song from the movie.I haven't seen it in a long time, but I never even knew that Don Felder, or Don Henley or even T I M O T H Y did songs for that movie... It is pretty strange that most of them have songs in it...J O E too!!!
    What year was FTARH?? I'm guessing sometime in the 80's but I don't remember exactly.
    I'm going to have to look for that soundtrack & listen to it again, now that I know they are all on it...Are any of the songs on any of their solo albums?
    It was released in 1982.

The only track from it by the solo Eagles which appears on any of their albums is Felder's song Never Surrender which appears on Airborne.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Why would you think G L E N N made the choice not to do a song for the movie FTARH? He doesn't pick out the music for the movie, the musical director does. Maybe there just wasn't a G L E N N song that fit into the story. I didn't even THINK of the EAGLES when I saw that movie or thought of an Eagles reunion. If they are all doing solo songs, why would people speculate about a reunion? I didn't even know who was singing the songs when I saw the movie.
    I think I answered your questions in my first post, but for clarification – Glenn may not have been asked to contribute to the Ridgemont High project – none of us know the answer to that. As I said, Irving was not managing Glenn at the time, so it’s possible. But, since most other members were involved, it’s also possible that Glenn would have been asked. However, even if he had, I suspect that Glenn would not have wanted to be associated with the project. After the band broke up, there was constant conjecture and pressure for them to get back together. A joint appearance of any kind may have been all it took to refuel the speculation at the time.

As for Almost Famous, yes most of it is based on Cameron Crowe's own story, but the band was fictitious....
    I believe when I said the film wasn’t based on a true story, that implies that it is fictitious.

From the line I quoted from him, he says that he realized the Russell character was a lot like G L E N N AFTERWARD, not while he was writing the movie, so it was not originally based on or written about G L E N N.
    Seriously? What I and others have been saying is that Glenn was an inspiration for the Russell Hammond character. By your logic, then no one is ever an inspiration unless the author is aware of it first. By definition, Glenn (and anyone else) would have to be an inspiration BEFORE Cameron wrote the character, even if Cameron didn’t realize it until AFTERWARD.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I think I answered your questions in my first post, but for clarification – Glenn may not have been asked to contribute to the Ridgemont High project – none of us know the answer to that. As I said, Irving was not managing Glenn at the time, so it’s possible. But, since most other members were involved, it’s also possible that Glenn would have been asked. However, even if he had, I suspect that Glenn would not have wanted to be associated with the project. After the band broke up, there was constant conjecture and pressure for them to get back together. A joint appearance of any kind may have been all it took to refuel the speculation at the time.
    Regarding the management issue the film was released in 1982 when Irving was still managing Glenn. No Fun Aloud was released by Asylum & Irving is mentioned by name (in All Those Lies). I didn't think Irving stopped managing Glenn until Glenn moved to MCA for The Allnighter.

Seriously? What I and others have been saying is that Glenn was an inspiration for the Russell Hammond character. By your logic, then no one is ever an inspiration unless the author is aware of it first. By definition, Glenn (and anyone else) would have to be an inspiration BEFORE Cameron wrote the character, even if Cameron didn’t realize it until AFTERWARD.
    Yes, that would be my logic....To inspire something you would have to be aware of it.

This is such a silly point to argue, Topkat. It's like you can't stand Glenn getting any kind of admiration! Cameron Crowe, by his own admission, deliberately used direct quotes from Glenn as dialogue for his character, yet you wish to insist that Glenn was in no way an inspiration for him?! It defies logic and frankly I'm not sure how to explain it to you any more clearly if you don't understand this.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I know for myself, I've often been inspired by someone and emulated them subconsciously. In writing and speaking, not even thinking about it until someone points it out later or I realize it myself later. I don't buy into the idea that you have to know it on a conscious level or it doesn't count.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    This is such a silly point to argue, Topkat. It's like you can't stand Glenn getting any kind of admiration! Cameron Crowe, by his own admission, deliberately used direct quotes from Glenn as dialogue for his character, yet you wish to insist that Glenn was in no way an inspiration for him?! It defies logic and frankly I'm not sure how to explain it to you any more clearly if you don't understand this.
    I agree.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    That's not true Soda... I didn't see where Crowe used quotes from Glenn in the dialogue.

I have the Directors Edition of the movie & he says nothing about Glenn in it. There is no mention of Glenn or the Eagles in it.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Regarding the management issue the film was released in 1982 when Irving was still managing Glenn. No Fun Aloud was released by Asylum & Irving is mentioned by name (in All Those Lies). I didn't think Irving stopped managing Glenn until Glenn moved to MCA for The Allnighter.
    You are exactly right, FP - my bad! I was thinking that all of Glenn's solo records were released by MCA so I learned something new today. I had never realized that NFA was released by Asylum. Thanks for pointing this out.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016