Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost Famous

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Almost Famous

That's not true Soda... I didn't see where Crowe used quotes from Glenn in the dialogue.

I have the Directors Edition of the movie & he says nothing about Glenn in it. There is no mention of Glenn or the Eagles in it.

So Topkat, despite several interviews Crowe has done where he specifically refers to Glenn you still refuse to believe this? I will leave it to Soda to give the examples of the dialogue quotes.

This is from Soda's post at the beginning of the thread which refers to a Rolling Stone interview with Crowe.

Who is Russell Hammond, really?

I saw Glenn Frey at a dinner party recently, and I realized that so much of Russell is Glenn. He was the coolest guy I had ever met in 1972. I was backstage at a concert interviewing everybody - the Eagles, King Crimson, Ballin' Jack, Chaka Khan. In the Eagles' dressing room, everyone's talking about Glenn - the one guy who isn't there. He's out looking for babes. Everyone's like, "The thing about Glenn," "Oh, one time Glenn and I..." And then, like a one-act play, Glenn appears. He walks in a little buzzed, he's got a long-neck Bud, and he's like, "How ya doing'?" Just classic. That whole thing of "Tonight, friends - tomorrow, the interview" was him. And there's one line he really did say to me: "Look, just make us look cool." He was also the first guy who told me about crafting a buzz long before I could ever enact it.

The recipe, please.

OK. He's like, "If you want to craft a buzz correctly, you walk into a party, you drink two beers quickly. Then you drink a beer every hour and fifteen minutes after that. You'll always have a buzz and you'll never get too embarrassing." I was like, "Uh... yeah, I know that." Meanwhile, I'm furiously writing it down.

- from "A Boy's Life"

You know, this quotation has been posted in this thread TWICE, by AEW as well. Also, After The Thrill said she had a version of the movie where Glenn is mentioned. Oh, but it isn't the version YOU have.

I really don't care how much you dislike Glenn. I do care that when people have bent over backwards to prove something to you, you still have to dispute it, for no reason that I can see except that you will not give Glenn credit for anything or accept that he could possibly inspire someone.

Not only did he inspire Cameron Crowe, he inspires all his real fans, every single day.

And frankly, if you now come out & say 'Crowe doesn't actually say Russell Hammond is Glenn Frey there' you are clutching at straws.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-02-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    That's not true Soda... I didn't see where Crowe used quotes from Glenn in the dialogue.

I have the Directors Edition of the movie & he says nothing about Glenn in it. There is no mention of Glenn or the Eagles in it.

So Topkat, despite several interviews Crowe has done where he specifically refers to Glenn you still refuse to believe this?

This is from Soda's post at the beginning of the thread which refers to a Rolling Stone interview with Crowe.

Who is Russell Hammond, really?

I saw Glenn Frey at a dinner party recently, and I realized that so much of Russell is Glenn. He was the coolest guy I had ever met in 1972. I was backstage at a concert interviewing everybody - the Eagles, King Crimson, Ballin' Jack, Chaka Khan. In the Eagles' dressing room, everyone's talking about Glenn - the one guy who isn't there. He's out looking for babes. Everyone's like, "The thing about Glenn," "Oh, one time Glenn and I..." And then, like a one-act play, Glenn appears. He walks in a little buzzed, he's got a long-neck Bud, and he's like, "How ya doing'?" Just classic. That whole thing of "Tonight, friends - tomorrow, the interview" was him. And there's one line he really did say to me: "Look, just make us look cool." He was also the first guy who told me about crafting a buzz long before I could ever enact it.

The recipe, please.

OK. He's like, "If you want to craft a buzz correctly, you walk into a party, you drink two beers quickly. Then you drink a beer every hour and fifteen minutes after that. You'll always have a buzz and you'll never get too embarrassing." I was like, "Uh... yeah, I know that." Meanwhile, I'm furiously writing it down.

- from "A Boy's Life"

You know, this quotation has been posted in this thread TWICE, by AEW as well.

I really don't care how much you dislike Glenn. I do care that when people have bent over backwards to prove something to you, you still have to dispute it, for no reason that I can see except that you will not give Glenn credit for anything or accept that he could possibly inspire someone.

Not only did he inspire Cameron Crowe, he inspires all his real fans, every single day.

And frankly, if you now come out & say 'Crowe doesn't actually say Russell Hammond is Glenn Frey there' you are clutching at straws.
    lol...why are you NOT believing this?....It's nothing new....I guess I just don't understand why people dislike Glenn so much...same as why WE LIKE him SO MUCH....

I do not dislike Glenn...All I said was that the character was not originally based on Glenn, but that Cameron later realized that it was inspired by him. I am not trying to diss Glenn here. The guy in the movie looks a bit like Glenn, so I think that brought on a lot of the comparisons to him.
    The guy was a bit of a heel in the movie, so I don't see why you are all so upset over this....He wasn't really a nice guy, was he? I didn't think so.
    Like I said the Directors cut doesn't mention Glenn.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

IMDB credits two of the lines in the film to Robert Plant, however, it starkly says that Russell Hammond is based on Glenn Frey.

The film is director Cameron Crowe's semi-autobiographical account of life as a young Rolling Stone reporter. The actual group that Crowe first toured with was The Allman Brothers Band. (Gregg Allman was the one who distrusted him and kept asking if he was a narc.) Crowe's real-life near-fatal plane crash happened while traveling with The Who. The character of Russell Hammond is based on Glenn Frey of Eagles.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181875/trivia

TCM (Turner Classic Movies) includes the fact that it Hammond is based on Glenn in its writeup of the movie.

Crowe surrogate Billy Miller (peach-fuzz-cheeked Patrick Fugit) spends a lot of time trying not to look wonderstruck. The fictionalized composite band to which he attaches himself, Stillwater, is an amalgam of Crowe's Rolling Stone subjects (The Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac). Not that Almost Famous is a survey of rock 'n' roll. What gives the film its gravitational pull is its character-driven way of getting up close and personal, starting with the moth to whose flame young Billy is drawn: Billy Crudup's guitarist and driving force, Russell Hammond -- modeled, Crowe has said, on Glenn Frey of the Eagles.

He's a believable embodiment of the energies that created rock, a flawed but likeably unvarnished guy from Michigan who can't help pushing himself and others beyond their comfort zones.
    http://www.tcm.com/this-month/articl...=Almost-Famous

That was a simple search on Google, there are many other search results from reputable sources.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I do not dislike Glenn...All I said was that the character was not originally based on Glenn, but that Cameron later realized that it was inspired by him. I am not trying to diss Glenn here. The guy in the movie looks a bit like Glenn, so I think that brought on a lot of the comparisons to him.
    The guy was a bit of a heel in the movie, so I don't see why you are all so upset over this....He wasn't really a nice guy, was he? I didn't think so.
    Like I said the Directors cut doesn't mention Glenn.
    Glenn was a real sweetheart at times. At other times he wasn't so nice, and he has been candid with that in recent interviews. Of course, the character was based on Glenn, and isn't totally Glenn. As I posted above, there is some of Robert Plant in the character and a few others as well, but when asked, Cameron has said he's based on Glenn.
    VK

It mystifies me when people persist in arguing a point even after they have been presented with evidence refuting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat
    Topkat, I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that I was deliberately not being truthful, but there were already examples given in this very thread that have been quoted above. Perhaps you didn't read the interview fully or carefully, so I will lay them out here:

"Tonight friends - tomorrow the interview."

"Look, just make us look cool."

Those are both direct quotes from Glenn Frey.

Again, not sure how I can make this more clear... why do you want so badly for this not to be true? Like you said, it's not as if the character of Russell Hammond is a saint.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

On the version of "Almost Famous" that I have, which I believe is the Director's cut, Cameron Crowe stated that the character Of Russell Hammond was based on Glenn.

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

There are multiple versions of Almost Famous out there. The one I own --the imported extended edition blu-ray --doesn't have the commentary track where Cameron talks about Glenn and the Eagles. So I rented the BOOTLEG edition just so I could take a look at the extra features including a commentary track where Cameron talks over the movie as you watch it. He only mentions Glenn a few different times, but unmistakably talks about the things that have already been quoted here...
    "tonight friends, tomorrow the interview"
    "just make us look cool"
    and he talks about the Eagle poker and how he called Glenn up to ask him about how Eagle Poker worked again so he could do it right in the film.

and of course there's no denying Russell Hammond's resemblance to Glenn as I demonstrated in this thread with photos haha

but if you haven't seen the version of the movie with this commentary nor have you read articles where Cameron talks about it, then you wouldn't have known for sure.

Even though I've loved Almost Famous since it came out...(and the Eagles for as long as I can remember), it was only after my Glenn obsession ignited that it came to my attention that Russell was loosely based on Glenn.
    If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...

I think you have all misunderstood me, & I'm sorry about all the confusion. I do believe that the character is loosely based on Glenn. The only thing I was mentioning was that from the way Cameron wrote this statement,(below)
    That he realized later ( because he says that he saw Glenn recently )& that the character of Russell was based on him, but maybe not at the time that he actually wrote the movie.

I think you have all misunderstood me, & I'm sorry about all the confusion. I do believe that the character is loosely based on Glenn. The only thing I was mentioning was that from the way Cameron wrote this statement,(below)
    That he realized later ( because he says that he saw Glenn recently )& that the character of Russell was based on him, but maybe not at the time that he actually wrote the movie.
    I guess I did misunderstand. I thought you were saying that it couldn't be based on Glenn if he didn't know it on a conscious level at the time he wrote it.

Yes, that would be my logic....To inspire something you would have to be aware of it.
    Given what all he said in other articles, I think he deliberately modeled some parts after Glenn (and other parts after guys like Robert Plant and others), then realized later there was a lot more of Glenn in the character than he'd intended to put in, but that's an opinion based on reading a lot of articles rather than something he said directly.
    VK