Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost Famous

Default Re: Almost Famous

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I guess I did misunderstand. I thought you were saying that it couldn't be based on Glenn if he didn't know it on a conscious level at the time he wrote it.

Given what all he said in other articles, I think he deliberately modeled some parts after Glenn (and other parts after guys like Robert Plant and others), then realized later there was a lot more of Glenn in the character than he'd intended to put in, but that's an opinion based on reading a lot of articles rather than something he said directly.
    Yes, thanks, VA. That's more like what I meant...That maybe Russell was more like Glenn than he originally thought or even that he intended.

I wonder if Glenn has actually seen the movie? I'm guessing yes, but I suppose we don't know for sure. If yes, it must be a trip, seeing that era and atmosphere so lovingly recreated. Did he see hsi younger self in Russell, or not until people/reporters mentioned it, I wonder? He did that interview with Newsweek in 2000 where he talked about Cameron, so he must have had an inkling the Eagles' antics played into the film.

Also interesting coincidence that Russell Hammond is from Michigan. (Of course, all of Stillwater is from Michigan, so maybe that's more the case of Cameron just wanting to focus on a man/band with Midwestern roots facing the temptations of decidedly West Coast fame...)

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AEW21 View Post
    I wonder if Glenn has actually seen the movie? I'm guessing yes, but I suppose we don't know for sure. If yes, it must be a trip, seeing that era and atmosphere so lovingly recreated. Did he see hsi younger self in Russell, or not until people/reporters mentioned it, I wonder? He did that interview with Newsweek in 2000 where he talked about Cameron, so he must have had an inkling the Eagles' antics played into the film.

Also interesting coincidence that Russell Hammond is from Michigan. (Of course, all of Stillwater is from Michigan, so maybe that's more the case of Cameron just wanting to focus on a man/band with Midwestern roots facing the temptations of decidedly West Coast fame...)
    I have a photo of him at the premiere, so yes, he has seen it.

Really? Is it posted here on the board somewhere?

It has to be a trip--a kid who interviewed you back in the day, suddenly a Hollywood director, doing a version of the history you shared together. Of course, Cameron was never really a stereotypical "kid," so perhaps Glenn knew he was destined for bigger things than being RS's resisdent touring journalist.

Maybe another reason Cameron didn't mention Glenn in the beginning could be for legal reasons. I mean can you base a character on someone without their permission? or without them knowing about it?
    That could be a touchy legal issue, if the character was so recognizable as Glenn?

Border Desperado RebeccaLovesEagles's Avatar

I am beginning to think I really need to see this movie after all the discussion

You know you have some delicious bugs here about on the Mississippi... Extra Protein thank you very much!!!!-Don Henley- At the St. Louis, MO concert June 2010.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaLovesEagles View Post
    I am beginning to think I really need to see this movie after all the discussion
    Most definitely! I loved it!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

My favorite part of the movie is the "Tiny Dancer" scene.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AEW21 View Post
    Really? Is it posted here on the board somewhere?

It has to be a trip--a kid who interviewed you back in the day, suddenly a Hollywood director, doing a version of the history you shared together. Of course, Cameron was never really a stereotypical "kid," so perhaps Glenn knew he was destined for bigger things than being RS's resisdent touring journalist.
    I will try & find it but now that I can't view my Photobucket stuff in file name order it won't be easy. They said this would be fixed by the end of March. Of course it wasn't.

ETA: Well, I have to apologise. The photo I have is of the Jerry Maguire premiere. I'm sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-04-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - I have to say I loved the movie the first time I saw it, and that was before I knew Glenn was an inspiration for Russell. Although, even then I did notice similarities. So it was just icing on the cake when I heard this. But, I mentioned this earlier, I didn't really see Russell as a bad person. He was a young self-centered rock star as many of them were back in the day. But, in the end, he definitely showed that he had some redeeming qualities. And Austin, I don't know if I have a favorite scene, but the Tiny Dancer scene is definitely a standout in the movie.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016