Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Philadelphia, PA 7-14-08

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Carol-thanks for the review and glad you enjoyed it so much!

DF-thanks for posting those reviews-that first one made me laugh. He simply doesn't have a clue! They really should send people who know something about music to these concerts. The one good thing about that review is the picture that went along with it---YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Carol-Lynn, thanks so much for your reviews! I've been busy this week and haven't had a chance to read them until now.

DF, I still need to get to reading the official newspaper reviews you posted, but judging from your and the others' responses to it, it seems I didn't miss much! I had fun reading your responses, though!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

C7L, thanks for your review, and so glad that you had a good time and the guys were so on form. They must still have it if that girl flashed them!

DF, thanks for the links to those reviews. I believe most of us here could write better reviews than those!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    Here is a review of last night's concert.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...ia_Center.html

The writer seemed predisposed not to like the concert, and it shows in the review. The pot shots at their age, especially that crack about "seeing my orthopedist in the crowd--wonder if he was there to make a house call" are particularly harsh. What does their age have to do with their ability to play fantastic music? Give me a damn break.
    Ugh. What a horrible review. I enjoyed your "give me a damn break" retort! And I couldn't agree more. I wonder how old the reviewer is, and if he'll look as good as the Eagles when he reaches 60. Hmph.

As far as his opinion about the boys "replicating" their music from disc onto the stage, it just so happens that I was talking to an Australian tourist last night, who admired that very ability that the Eagles have, and we both agreed that there are very few musicians who are capable of doing that.

Regarding his opinion of LROOE... well... 6 million plus listeners disagree with him. Enough said. I for one was beside myself listening to the album's songs being played at the concert, and would have been disappointed if they hadn't. As for Don Henley's chance to exercise his social conscience (excuse me if I've misquoted slightly) in the title track, I challenge the writer to come up with a piece of songwriting as exceptional as that. Or even a piece of normal prose, for that matter.

The fact that he's trashing some of the most brilliant pieces of music on the album shows exactly how much he knows about music.

Default Critic Envy

Mrs. Frey. et al

The fact is most critics have never written a song in their entire lives, never performed in public, and seldom know how to play a instrument; that is if you don't count tooting their own horn! :P They too often confuse criticism with witticism (my word-don't try and find it in the dictionary I doubt that it's there) and usually come off sounding mean instead of keen!

Know what I'm sayin'.

Carol-Lynn
    SoCalGalNow

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Critic Envy

Quote Originally Posted by carol7lynn
    Mrs. Frey. et al

The fact is most critics have never written a song in their entire lives, never performed in public, and seldom know how to play a instrument; that is if you don't count tooting their own horn! :P They too often confuse criticism with witticism (my word-don't try and find it in the dictionary I doubt that it's there) and usually come off sounding mean instead of keen!

Know what I'm sayin'.

Carol-Lynn
    SoCalGalNow
    PREACH ON SISTER!!!! You are right on the money!!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Default Re: Critic Envy

Quote Originally Posted by carol7lynn
    Mrs. Frey. et al

Know what I'm sayin'.

Carol-Lynn
    SoCalGalNow
    Oh, I know what you're sayin', all right, Carol-Lynn! I reckon we're on the same wavelength.

Out on the Border

Wow, I can't believe the critic did not like the LROOE song ! I love it ! And it works so well with the video ! Maybe he is just not into Henley's political message, that's all.

And about the oldsters in the crowd, at least at the MSG, there were a lot of young people. I brought my 22-yr-old daughter and 17-yr-old son and they both loved it. Well, my daughter has been a fan for a while and knew most of their old hits, but all my son heard before was Hotel California and Boys of Summer. And he is into indie music and hates "mainstream" And he still loved them. And one of his friends is a big fan too. So, it's not just baby boomers who are fans.

Geez.....critics

Welcome to the Border, Siny! Glad you and your family enjoyed the concert. I took my 19-yr-old daughter to the show at Myrtle Beach and she loved it, too.
    I agree--critics!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Welcome from me as well, siny. Hope you like it here on The Border. I also agree with what everyone has said here. Unfortunately, many critics are so busy trying to impress us with there extraordinary literary skills that they totally lose sight of what fans go to concerts for. I also took my 11 year old niece to Myrtle Beach, and she is still talking about it. My 16 and 18 years old nieces are big Eagles fans too.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016