Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toronto, Canada 7-21-08, 7-22-08

Default Toronto, Canada 7-21-08, 7-22-08

Apologies for the delay in posting my review. Things are a bit crazy right now. I will give overall impression and cute bits from both nights.

Fist off I have to say if you are thinking of going to see an Eagles show GO!! The new songs are even BETTER live than on the CD. My seats the first night were good but I had a tall guy right in front of me. Luckily I was on the aisle so I was out there dancing all night! (this would help me later ) On the second night i was a few rows closer and had an AWESOME view of the stage!! the staff there all know me now too!! :P

I love so many of the new songs but my favs live were definately

Waiting in the Weeds- The vocals, instrumention and visulization on this song is just magical.

No More Walks in the Woods-sounds MUCH better in person. the harmony is amazing and there voices fill the whole building. It is powerful

Somebody-Classic Glenn. Rocky R&B and Glenn obviously has so much fun with this one.

Long Road out of Eden- a HUGE statement song. A funny part of the song is the bridge 2/3 of the way thru when the music starts to fade away and then suddenly BANG they are making the statements again LOUDLY boldly and directly. The lady next to me at that point actually asked if it was a different song .

The one night Joe forget the words to Guilty of the crime and just kept singing Gulity! Guilty Guilty!! It was cute.

Tim sounded great on IDWTHA both nights. The second night he seemed to struggle a little bit with ICTYW but was fine for his other two songs.

Both nights when Joe sang In the City he wore a Toronto Maple Leafs (Hockey team) cap. It was too cute.

Glenn said both nights how happy they were to be in Toronto and that they were "here for the whole week and enjoying your lovely city" to quote him exactly.

On Don's birthday before TLR a part of the audeince sang Happy birthday to him!! he seemed rather moved by this and a bit overwhelmed. Don made the comment "Calm down it's just another work day for me" he also said "it's nice to be 30 again" :P and near the end of the evening he commented that we the fans had really made his birthday special. It was very sweet. During band intros on the second night Glenn introduces Don as "the Birthday boy" to HUGE cheers. Also as Desperado was starting a huge part of the crowd was actually singing HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Both nights Glenn did both the plaintiff and the credit card jokes as well as the Witchy Woman being from their "Satanic Country Rock R&B period" comment. Last night Glenn also welcomed us to the Eagles "Assisted Living Tour" As you can see Glenn was in good humour both nights.

On the second night when Don spoke before TLR he addressed the issue of "the suits" saying he had been reading on the net how people (media) disliked them ... but that they had decided to dress their age!! He then said "if suits are good enough for the Beatles they're damn sure good enough for us! "

Both concerts were amazing... I actually can't really describe what I am feeling right now about the concerts..

One last note: On the first night the security guy had noticed me partying out in the 19th row and when the 2nd encore came... he moved me up to row 6 in front of Timothy!! I saw the same security guy last night and thanked him .. he was soo nice!!

If I remember more details I'll post it later

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Great review. Sounds amazing

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Great review, tf! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Cool that security let you move up at the end, too!

As far as the suits, yes, they look handsome in them. Most men look handsome in a suit. But the Beatles wore them back in what... 1964? 44 years ago! And no, they don't have to dress like they did in the '70's, but casual would be better than corporate. Loosen up Don! We know you are on the school board and have all kinds of business dealings, but this is rock & roll we're talking about!

JMO!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the great review, tf.

And Brooke - I know I've said it before, but couldn't agree with you more. It's nice to know the guys pay attention to what the fans are saying. Now, if we can only convince them to actually change their minds!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Thanks TF, I'm glad it was so good. But they can't ditch the suits until I've seen them.

Thank you so much for the review, TF! They sound like terrific shows!

Too funny about Joe just singing "guilty"! lol!

You mentioned Victim of Love in the set - did you mean One of These Nights, or did they really add VOL? How awesome would that be, if it's the case!

What an terrific security guard. That's the way it should be - instead of the Nazis you get at some shows!

How sweet that Don was so moved by the fans singing "Happy Birthday." It does the heart good to know that he's still so affected by the fans that love him.

That said, I love Don but... that suits excuse is BOGUS! PLEASE tell me these men don't really believe that wearing suits at a rock concert is "dressing their age"!

Don's contemporaries are Lindsey Buckingham, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel... they're not wearing three-piece suits and ties. Is Don really sniffing in distaste at these guys for dressing too young? Are his lips drawn in a tight line of disapproval when he sees that 61-year-old Stevie Nicks is not wearing a demure Sunday dress onstage? Please tell me no! What's next, yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off his lawn?

As for the Beatles thing... you're right on, Brooke. For the younger folks out there, let me explain. In the fifties and early sixties, ALL rock bands wore suits onstage so they didn't look "dangerous" to middle America. A clean-cut image sold more records. Don't believe me? Check out this photo from 1964.

Your eyes do not deceive you. That is a photo of the ROLLING STONES.

As soon as it became societally acceptable for musicians to drop the suits and dress casual, the Beatles - and everyone else except bands like the freaking New Christy Minstrels - did so. Here's the kind of "suits" the Beatles were wearing in 1967:

Even Ringo has spiced things up with a colorful tie!

The Eagles watched this cultural shift unfold before their eyes as they grew up. They know all of this very well. For Don to make such a statement defies logic.

I hope to death he was joking, because if he was serious, I think he may have developed some kind of complex about his age.

I don't think he was serious, however. I think he was BS'ing us. Just speculation but...

I think the real reason is that Glenn and Don have decided the suits look better on them than casual wear, and therefore they want to wear them for the whole show (an opinion I disagree with, BTW). Then, so that they don't look out of place in their suits, Don and Glenn force Joe and Tim to wear them as well.

I could very well be wrong, but that explanation makes a lot more sense than Don's!

Ah, vanity!

Now, after this diatribe, I have to say, the guys can do what they wanna do. If they want to dress like wedding singers, fine. It's just a shame that Don is out there saying that they're wearing suits because they're 60. That's just sad.

Luckily they still rock the house no matter what they wear!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    You mentioned Victim of Love in the set - did you mean One of These Nights, or did they really add VOL? How awesome would that be, if it's the case!
    Actually the song I meant was Witchy Woman.. Just had a momentary Brain cramp

Quote Originally Posted by timfan
    On Don's birthday before TLR a part of the audeince sang Happy birthday to him!! he seemed rather moved by this and a bit overwhelmed. Don made the comment "Calm down it's just another work day for me" he also said "it's nice to be 30 again" :P and near the end of the evening he commented that we the fans had really made his birthday special. It was very sweet. During band intros on the second night Glenn introduces Don as "the Birthday boy" to HUGE cheers. Also as Desperado was starting a huge part of the crowd was actually singing HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

On the second night when Don spoke before TLR he addressed the issue of "the suits" saying he had been reading on the net how people (media) disliked them ... but that they had decided to dress their age!! He then said "if suits are good enough for the Beatles they're damn sure good enough for us! "
    Great review, timfan. I am so glad you found a friend in that security guard. May we all be so lucky.

I love that the audience sang Happy Birthday to Don, and that he was so moved by them. I wish I could've seen that moment. I am so glad eveyone was able to make the night special for my favorite "30-year-old"!

NOW-

....Drags up the soapbox.....
    I am completely in the minority here, but as you all know I love their suits and I was so glad to hear Don's comment about why they chose to wear them. I agree with Don completely--the Beatles looked damn good in their suits and so do the Eagles.

Soda may be right in supposing that they think they look better in suits than in casual wear. Personally, I don't like Don's ugly plaid shirts next to Joe's loud and ugly camouflage pants.

If they would decree that they would all have casual wear like Timmy, now that would be different--their new "uniform" could be blue jeans and solid shirts. Now that is a compromise I bet we could all agree on! However, until then, the suits look damn handsome on them.
    ....Gets down off soapbox....

Yes, Joe's outfits are often hideous, but that's his trademark. I will say photos I've seen of him performing solo where he wears jeans and a plain loose top are very flattering, though.

As far as Don's plaid goes... I never had a problem with the plaid per se. He just went a bit extreme with it. These guys find something they like and they wear it until it falls off of them, it seems.

Here's my favorite fashion period for the guys:

As I said about Joe, jeans and a loose, comfortable top work fine for any age and are quite flattering. I've seen Glenn in this kind of outfit and he is SMOKIN'. You should have seen him when he came out in an outfit like that for Niagara Falls. As one, we all gasped in delight at how good he looked.

However, I recognize this is just my opinion. The important thing is that they are talented musicians and passionate performers. If they dress like my dad, it doesn't take away from the power of the music (even if wearing one's Sunday best to sing "Life in the Fast Lane" and "Take It Easy" can be distractingly incongruous).

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Wonderful review TF! I'm delighted that you are having such a good time. I think you should investigate if Tim needs some help while satying in Toronto over the next few days. Perhaps a tour guide.

Hope mid all this the move is going well too
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP