Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: South of Sunset

Default South of Sunset

You guys who have seen this series, what did you think? At first I wasn't too sure what to think, because Aries Spears kind of annoyed me. I found the second episode terrific (it's my favorite), however, and Aries wasn't so over the top. Plus the opening part in his house begins in such an adorable fashion! I think Glenn had funnier lines later on, too, and I liked the inclusion of Merlin the computer geek. I think it certainly deserved more of a chance, but I must admit I can't be too sad it didn't take off. If it had, there would have been no "Hell Freezes Over."

~

Default Re: South of Sunset

It's so funny that you posted this as I just finished watching this yesterday. I nearly killed me. Part of the problem I had watching it is I would see an expression cross Glenn's face and think, "I saw that same look up close!!!!" I enjoyed the later episodes more than the pilot. But as you said if it had taken off we wouldn't have HFO. So I have mixed feelings.

Exactly. I mean, if he's happier acting, you want that for him, but there are a lot of pretty faces that can act. There is no one else that can sing like Glenn Frey.

~

Stuck on the Border

I don't know that he was ever 'happier' acting. I think even if the series had been a success he would have gone back to music.

~~~

There's talk on the street, it sounds so familiar
    Great expectations, everybody's watching you

I've said before I think he'd go mad if he tried to leave music behind for good. But I think the whole situation with SOS helped to make the timing right for HFO. But that's just my opinion. I do enjoy seeing other facets of his personality or abilities or whatever you want to call it. (resisting urge to use total packager reference)

Well, I don't know if he enjoyed it more or not. But I do remember a quote where he talked about how he couldn't play music forever, but he could act forever. It gave the impression that he was willing to throw over music for acting, or at least prioritize acting over music.

~

Stuck on the Border

I am going to make some observations on what I have now, finally, seen of SOS, and also Nash Bridges.

I have watched most of the first episode of SOS. I can see why the show failed. It really has nothing to offer which is any different from 100 run of the mill cop shows. I like the black guy, but the female assistant is annoying. The plot relating to the tennis star didn't make a lot of sense.

Glenn looks handsome but he really doesn't have to do much. He looks out of place. It will be interesting to see if his character develops at all, because at the moment there is no 'back story' - nothing about him or how he got into the business. At least Ziggy had an establishing scene.

Some of the humour worked, which I am sure Glenn would appreciate, because he said they were trying for humour. But overall, really, it's a fairly pointless exercise. I don't want to be harsh here, but I don't just want to gush over his face.

In Nash Bridges he did not have sufficient screen time to establish a character or a performance. The tears at the end, while unexpected, are hardly the result of great acting here. Yes, he looks good. They even refer to him being good looking. More than that is needed sometimes.

My favourite of these lesser known jobs is still Arliss because it's very funny and it takes a few sly digs at his 'real' job (including the use of True Love and LITFL). To me if he has any strengths as an actor it's here, with semi-comedy, or Wiseguy, where his knowledge of the music business carries him through.

And as for Moon Zappa hosting the Eagles Family Tree - all I can say is Frank would have been horrified. Or perhaps he would have found it kitschy and appropriate for his Valley Girl daughter.

~~~

There's talk on the street, it sounds so familiar
    Great expectations, everybody's watching you

Stuck on the Border

Freypower, you and I watched these episodes with the same critical eye. It would be easy to gush over "how cute" simply because it's Glenn, but these shows make that a bit difficult to do.

The tennis star episode of SOS is certainly not the strongest. Too bad it was used as the first run show. I actually thought Aries Spears was very funny. I've seen his comedy special on Comedy Central and he's very good. Glenn has moments where his character "makes sense", but much of the time the scenes seem disjointed. I dislike shows that tie up all the loose ends in the last 2 minutes as though we're supposed to be sitting at home saying "Oh, now I get it." SOS was one of those shows.

The humor certainly flows through all the episodes, some scenes actually being very clever and funny. It would have been interesting to see if that had been a growing trend with the show, not that it would have become a comedy per se, but as the characters got more established, I think everything would have, again, made more sense.

If anyone can watch the scenes where Glenn is playing basketball in the "hood" without cringing and feeling the need to pinch your eyes shut in an "Oh Lord, no!" fashion - you're tougher than I am. I confess, I did both!

The crying at the end of Nash Bridges - ummm, another cringe moment.

Arli$$ was great. I watched it with the men in my house, and we made it thru half of the show before one of them asked if that was Glenn. Actually I think it was more like, "Oh for crying out loud, are you making us watch Glenn Frey again?"

However, neither one stopped watching and both gave the show and Glenn a thumbs up at the end.

Oh, and Moon Zappa, your dad was amazing, your brothers are amusing, but will you please go far far way and stay there!

I can't believe this reaction to Nash Bridges! I thought he was terrific in that! And I'm not just saying that because I adore Glenn Frey. Seriously! I am astonished.

As far as South of Sunset goes, yeah, I can see where you guys are coming from. It wasn't the most awesome show, and the first one was especially weak. The second one had me completely charmed, however, and it wasn't just because Glenn looked good. And The 'hood moments were SUPPOSED to be cringe-worthy because that was the joke! He was supposed to look out of place there.

I can be critical, too. He does look kind of stiff in the first episode, and I can see why the response to it wasn't the best. I think only the second show was consistently good. However, the others all had more good moments than bad in my opinion. For instance, how about that episode where he has to haul that little girl around? How cute was his interaction with her? I loved it. There were weak spots, too, sure, but that's the case with any show.

And an evaluation of Glenn's acting skills is not complete without viewing Wiseguy, where he really shines. I guess I should add an "IMO" after that because I thought he really shined in Nash Bridges too, considering the limited scope of that role. When he said "I'll kill him if he touches my daughter" I believed it.

~

P.S. Cody does get a bit of establishment in the first episode when Paul says Cody used to work security for stars until he got sick of one's attitude and shoved his face into a bowl of stroganoff. It's a fine line between establishing a past for a character and doing an info dump that slows down the pace of the episode.

~