Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: South of Sunset

Default Re: South of Sunset

South of Sunset isn't available anywhere anymore, is it?

I remember watch the single episode that was originally aired. We would have watched it if it had continued. I missed the subsequent airing on VH-1.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I don't think so, CAinOH. Whenever anyone puts them on YouTube, they just get taken down. I have copies of all the episodes, but, unfortunately, I don't have the software to burn DVD's on my computer.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    You guys who have seen this series, what did you think? At first I wasn't too sure what to think, because Aries Spears kind of annoyed me. I found the second episode terrific (it's my favorite), however, and Aries wasn't so over the top. Plus the opening part in his house begins in such an adorable fashion! I think Glenn had funnier lines later on, too, and I liked the inclusion of Merlin the computer geek. I think it certainly deserved more of a chance, but I must admit I can't be too sad it didn't take off. If it had, there would have been no "Hell Freezes Over."

~
    The first episode is on on YT now so I finally got to watch it. I enjoyed Glenn’s performance and I think he did a fine job with what he had — a subpar script with a lame plot, with the added storyline rip-off of the movie “48 Hours”, even down to using Eddie Murphy’s line: “yeah, but I look good.” Based on this episode alone, I’m not surprised the show was short-lived. The part where Glenn’s character lets Ziggy’s partner-in-crime jump on a $50,000 bail bond so he could broker a peace treaty between the Bloods and the Crips defies logic. And that was just a side story. Glenn was definitely the best part of this show.

P.S. I thought Aries Spears’ character was annoying as well and it’s odd that he was allowed to look at those pictures of the client’s wife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CYQDrTKtnk

(I hope it’s ok to link here since it’s almost an hour long)

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Well - If anyone hasn't had a chance to watch this, I would suggest that you do so quickly. In the past, the episodes that have been put up on YouTube have been yanked down pretty quickly.

I think this is definitely one of the weaker episodes. Some of the others are a lot better, IMO. I think that overall the shows were enjoyable and the series could have been more successful if it had been given a fair shot. Of course, no bias here, but, I agree that Glenn was the highlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well - If anyone hasn't had a chance to watch this, I would suggest that you do so quickly. In the past, the episodes that have been put up on YouTube have been yanked down pretty quickly.
    That's why I'm downloading it now. Hopefully a few more of the episodes will show up.

Thanks for posting this, Delilah!

Subpar or not, we get to look at Sugar!

There's something to be said for that.

You’re welcome, CAinOH.

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    Subpar or not, we get to look at Sugar!

There's something to be said for that.
    I completely agree. I realize that I am judging this from the perspective of a 2019 viewer. Most of us here know how much TV has changed in the last 25 years. There’s a lot more emphasis these days on realism and authenticity when it comes to TV dramas. Writers know that the audience will take to the internet to tear a show apart and analyze every detail. Back then it seems the intent was to take a more light-hearted approach and not be too heavy-handed with complicated characters and storylines (with some exceptions, of course).

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    Subpar or not, we get to look at Sugar! There's something to be said for that.
    Most definitely, Pippin!

The later shows were much better, in my opinion. I found this one to be hard to follow, without the warmth of later episodes. "Cody" was a caring, stand-up kind of guy.(With great hair.lol!). With better writers, given a chance, it could have done well.

As Delilah pointed out, dramas today are often focused on gritty realism. TV used to be mainly just a pleasant diversion.

As a fan, (besides Glenn's great looks) I found myself enjoying listening to him talk! I remember a friend of his referring to the great qualities of his speaking voice!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

I hope as many people as possible get a chance to see these before they're snatched down. I mean, if you're not going to sell them or make them available another way, why not let people view them on YouTube??? My favorite episode is the second one.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Well - I'm a day late, but just wanted to mention that yesterday was the anniversary of South of Sunset premiering on CBS in 1993.

I hope hardcore fans have gotten a chance to see the episodes that were taped.