Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: South of Sunset

Default Re: South of Sunset

I see the anniversary of the airing of South of Sunset was today.

It may not have worked out, but I'm glad he did it nonetheless. It was a cute show.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

So I had a weird dream last night where Glenn was playing a PI again but it was more like one of my favorite shows "Veronica Mars" as Kristen Bell was playing her character from that show but as Glenn's daughter. LOL I knew he played a PI in this and Kristen's Veronica in her show was a teenager working for her father's California PI firm (and she eventually becomes one herself through out the show, films, and book series). "Veronica Mars" was also really comical at times even with the drama/mystery storylines but the relationship between her and her dad on the show is one of the best father/daughter relationships I've ever seen.

So I ended up Googling Kristen again as I knew she was from Detroit too and freaked me out as it turns out Kristen went to high school in Royal Oak!!! She was actually from the suburb next door but went to the Catholic school there. I had no idea they shared that connection and I love Kristen too. "Veronica Mars" already had a connection to Don Henley as the writer Rob Thomas revealed on Twitter he wrote a scene in the movie to "The Boys of Summer".

Thinks this means I need to finally watch this as I saw the eps are up on YT.

So I finally got to watch all of the episodes and man am I still trying to figure out why CBS didn't give it a fair chance. LOL Glenn was so great. I always felt he was so underrated as an actor and now finally seeing his "Wiseguy" episodes and this I was right. I've always been a fan of PI/mystery-crime stories and "South of Sunset" was actually really good. It did remind me a lot of "Veronica Mars" mixing in PI noir with comedy. I also loved his dynamic with Ziggy, and totally was shipping Glenn's character with Gina. LOL (In case others don't know shipping is wanting and supporting a romantic relationship between two characters, aka a ship). I totally feel the writers were building them up as the main couple of the show, especially in episode 2 as he tried to save her and in episode 4 with one of my favorite writing troupes, the fake couple.

I also personally loved the "Custody" episode because when this episode should've aired I was around 7-years-old, so I would've been about the same age as the Katie character. Being the child of Eagles fans I always knew their music but the Eagles reunited when I was 8 and after HFO aired I just wanted to know everything about them, especially Glenn. So seeing him interact with a little girl around the same age I was who ended up adoring him by the end of that episode was just so awesome. I really liked his scenes with the kids in the various episodes too. Plus, Ziggy's "Little Mermaid" comment to Katie has me rolling as that was the first movie I got to see in the theaters in 1989 and my mother to this day says I've liked guys who looked liked Prince Eric ever since, and Glenn totally fit it. LOL

I also loved that I recognized a lot of the guest stars and seeing Glenn had connections to other fandoms of mine. Richard Shiff (The West Wing, Once Upon a Time), Jared Harris (Mad Men), and Amber Benson (Buffy) were the big ones I noticed. I also loved hearing Glenn sing "Runaway" by Del Shannon and Tom Petty's "Refuge", both songs I love too.

It was so much better than I expected and just makes me wonder what it would've been like if it went on longer and what the writers had in mind.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Glad you enjoyed the SOS episodes, Buffy. I think most of us would agree that the show wasn't given a fair shot.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border TequilaSunrise82's Avatar

Just finished the first episode and all I can say is...what a horrible show! Totally cheesy and totally unbelievable. Yet, I love it! Off to watch the next episode....

Stuck on the Border

The second episode is slightly better. Or maybe I just enjoyed it more - especially when Cody is fixing his bike.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by TequilaSunrise82 View Post
    Just finished the first episode and all I can say is...what a horrible show! Totally cheesy and totally unbelievable. Yet, I love it! Off to watch the next episode....
    The first episode is the worst of the 5, imo. The rest are much better and more realistic.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I agree it gets better. It's part of why I wish CBS gave it more of a chance. I usually stick with the rule to not judge a new series till 4 to 5 episodes in as a lot of shows I love/loved had bad pilot episodes and had to find their footing. LOL It had potential.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Out on the Border TequilaSunrise82's Avatar

Ok I just finished watching all 5 episodes and I am so sad that's all there is! I want it to keep going! I got really attached to the characters even though the plot lines were so incredibly unbelievable. I mean, in practically all of these cases, why wouldn't these people just go to the police?? Has anyone found episodes 6 and 7 on the web anywhere? They must exist somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    The first episode is the worst of the 5, imo. The rest are much better and more realistic.
    I have to agree - I barely got through the first episode. Glenn's acting was pretty darn good considering the script he had to work with - I wish they'd tried hiring different writers before cancelling the show. Glenn clearly had the chops - I think he was credible in both serious and comedy type roles.