Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: South of Sunset

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: South of Sunset

Soda, you are right that the role in Nash Bridges is of limited scope and he appears to be playing a man who finds it hard to express emotion (I read your synopsis). If the lead up to the scene with his daughter had been handled better then the sudden release of emotion would not have been such a surprise. I fully intend to watch it again and I hope I'll derive more from it.

I am glad that you have enjoyed Wiseguy and we should perhaps talk about why he's so effective in that show. I think part of the reason is, unlike SOS, there is some 'background' about him having so many jobs which he couldn't hold down, and of course the 'big mouth', all talk thing which becomes important later.

As for SOS, let's see it as the nadir of his career from which, thankfully, he recovered.

~~~

There's talk on the street, it sounds so familiar
    Great expectations, everybody's watching you

Speaking of Wiseguy, I finally got those pages done, with Freypower's help!

Wiseguy

~

Stuck on the Border

I have now watched Episodes 2 and 3 of SOS and again, if the tennis star episode was shown first, I can understand why Glenn was so angry with the network. The next two episodes do a much better job in establishing the character.

I maintain that Gina is superfluous and the actress is miscast. However, the interaction between Cody and Ziggy is developing and they work well together.

The second episode was somewhat unbelievable, I thought, but the party sequence when Cody opened his mouth and started singing Runaway - that wasn't bad. Nice butt shots. Even nicer hair shots. I am afraid I started to let my appreciation of that get in the way of my criticism.

I think the third episode is my favourite so far because he worked really well with the little girl and he had a lot to say about the dysfunctional couple. He looked good as well. Again, I am afraid that influenced how I looked at it. I was not sure about the music discussion. That seemed somewhat heavy-handed.

The incidental music was written by Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter of all people, and how sad the snippet of 'Just South of Sunset' at the end of the first episode has presumably been canned forever. He can't resurrect it now, of course, unless he rewrote it.

The line 'it's on the town line' has been used in every episode so far. OK, we get the joke.

~~~

You know, since I'm doing the screen caps and clips for those now and re-watching them very closely, I like them even more! I'm on "Family Affair" now. I like the interaction with the little girl in "Custody" too. It's precious!

~

P.S. And yes, it is easy to overlook plot holes when Glenn is wearing a sleeveless top. lol There are a lot of times when I was I felt they didn't really explain well how Cody solved the mysteries, but I don't blame Glenn for such things. Also, I grew up reading Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie, so I am a bit overly critical about such things.

~

I also just noticed that Aries Spears, who plays Ziggy Duane, has a small role in Jerry Maguire as well. Coincidence?

~

Stuck on the Border

OK, I have watched it all now. What a shame the last episode cut off.

It definitely improved. Family Affair is my pick of the episodes - even Gina gave a decent performance. I was slightly uneasy with all the 'hood' stuff in Newspaper Boy but I applaud the writers for taking a few chances here.

By the end of it Glenn was starting to look as he did in HFO and that was getting me really distracted. I will get some good screen shots. I did like it when he got to lose his temper. He never really had to make any long speeches, though.

The first two episodes were by far the weakest (I'm sorry Nancy - I know you liked Dream Girl the best but for me that did not work at all). What might have happened if they had started with Family Affair first?

I can't get Call On Me out of my head, which is lucky, because the song is quite important to me.

~~~

You don't like Dream Girl? Oh well, to each her own! I don't like Newspaper Boy that much, but all of them are better than that first episode.

His hair definitely improved as the series went on. He looks SO much better with it freer, wavier, and longer. Makes him look a lot younger, too. Let us compare.

From episode 1:

From episode 4:

No contest!

~

Hi guys,

I just realized that the source I've been using to make copies of South of Sunset is missing the last segment of Episode 5. However, I have an alternate source obtained from another guy which has the complete Episode 5. If you want a copy of it, let me know and I'll send it to you. My apologies!

~

eaglesfans

I'm sorry our tape is missing the last few minutes of the episode. We had the full episode on another tape, but the VCR ate that one. We didn't tape these ourselves as we didn't have VH1 at the time. We do the best we can with what we have. Perhaps we made a mistake in sharing it in the first place.

L&M

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p196.ezboard.com/bflipcity19918.showUserPublicProfile?gid=eaglesfan s>eaglesfans</A> at: 2/23/06 12:27 pm