Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: South of Sunset

Default Re: South of Sunset

I can assure you that everyone appreciates what you do and my offer was not meant as a personal criticism of you in any way. It was meant as a contribution to a fan community from which I have benefitted, and hope to give back to if possible. That's what it's all about - for me, anyway.

~

Out on the Border

Default glenn and sunset beach

I have always wondered why the show Glenn Frey was on was canceled. I loved watching him on that show. Maybe he did not have enough fans to watch him because maybe they didn't know that he was that talented.

I loved Glenn back in the 70's (oops telling my age now) when if I was going to be a groupie (not that kind of girl), I would have had him (dreaming again). He might have looked a little rough in the early years, but wow what the years did to him. I love to watch him sing. Really, really listen to him (clue:::: he whistles when he sings any song with "S"'s). Don't believe me...Listen....

I went and seen the Eagles in concert. WOW. Greatest show on earth. I would go see them again, and again and again.

The whole group has brought so much to music and us fans. I know that I can relate to just about every song. Keep up the great work guys.... Love ya'll.
    I CAN NEVER GET ENOUGH INFORMATION ON THE EAGLES...GLENN BEING MY FAVORITE...

Welcome to the board, TROUBLEADULT9601! (May we call you TA for short?) I hope you enjoy yourself here.
    Did you ever see the Eagles live back in the 70s? I had a couple of their albums back then, and have always enjoyed them, but it's only in the last couple of years that I have become a 'groupie'. I saw them three times in the UK this summer and they were magnificent. Mr Frey is my favourite too!
    South of Sunset was a great show, and I think if people had stuck with it and watched Glenn's character as Cody developing, it wouldn't have been pulled. If you haven't already seen them, Nancy has put some great plot summaries and screencaps on her website here:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/...thofsunset.htm

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

South of Sunset had an uphill battle going in. The time it was premiered, 1993, was infamous for the trend of "short order" series. Desperate to get as many ratings as possible as quickly as possible, networks ordered up tons of new shows, threw them in the water, and the ones that didn't speed to the deep end fast enough were kicked out of the pool.

They did this to Glenn's show especially quickly because they felt that they it should have done better considering the amount of promoting they did for it, and the time slot they gave it (after the Super Bowl). Ironically, it was this time slot that did him in. He was against Home Improvement, which was immensely popular. Another factor weighing against him was that they showed the pilot first, which was not the strongest episode. Finally, the fact that he was known as a musician could very well have made non-fans leery - "just another rock star wanting to act!"

But I have to admit, I am glad it didn't work out (although I wish it had been a less spectacular failure). If it hadn't failed, we would never have had the reunion and Hell Freezes Over. And, as much as I love Glenn's acting, I think his musical talents are where his true strength lies.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: glenn and sunset beach

Quote Originally Posted by TROUBLEADULT9601
    [i]

Really, really listen to him (clue:::: he whistles when he sings any song with "S"'s). Don't believe me...Listen....
    I would like a specific example of this 'whistling' because I don't believe I have ever heard it.

Stuck on the Border

I've been informed by Lisa from Eagleland that SOS premiered in October 1993. The series start was delayed by the World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I've been informed by Lisa from Eagleland that SOS premiered in October 1993. The series start was delayed by the World Series.
    At least I got the year right. Lisa, if you're reading, thanks for the information.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I have to agree with Soda - I'm glad the show didn't have a long run, although it would have been nicer if the demise had been a little less rapid. I tried to watch the shows objectively, although that is probably not possible for me to do. I actually think the shows were enjoyable and it could have succeeded if they had given it a chance. I subscribe to the theory that there were other factors involved in pulling the show so quickly that we will probably never know about.

BTW - welcome to the board TA9601. Glad to have you join us on The Border.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

When HFO came out, I remember VH1 having a weekend dedciated to the Eagles. This series was included. I watched a couple of episodes. I cant even remember what my opinion was, or if I even liked it.

I do remember Nash Bridges though. I didnt care for it. I would of rather seen him as maybe a cop gone bad something grittier. Not an ole Dad....I think he could do a miami vice type character or a Magnum PI.

Stuck on the Border

That is an interesting thought. If you think about it, Magnum PI is what he ended up doing in SOS.

The role as the 'concerned father' who is also a cop in Nash Bridges I thought was well played, if not detailed enough. He has never really played a villain. I really don't know if he wanted to stretch that far.