Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Did I hear that right? (Misheard lyrics)

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Did I hear that right? (Misheard lyrics)

I've always had it down as 'moan'. Of course, the more pressing issue with that sentence is the use of engineer

I hear it as "moan" as well.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I'm another one who hears 'moan' on Midnight Flyer.

One thought I've had relating to the engineer line in Midnight Flyer (I see exactly what you're getting at tlr ) is how Don sings about 'autumn leaves' in Wasted Time, using the British word 'autumn' instead of the American 'fall'. I guess the idea of using this word came more naturally to Don than it would have to most of his contemporaries given that he's probably read more British literature than them over the years.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    ... how Don sings about 'autumn leaves' in Wasted Time, using the British word 'autumn' instead of the American 'fall'. I guess the idea of using this word came more naturally to Don than it would have to most of his contemporaries given that he's probably read more British literature than them over the years.
    That's quite relevant to this thread as for ages I thought the line was 'All the years have got you thinking'! Can't believe I never noticed that before, and would agree: it also rolls off the tongue better. Henley does that on occasion: see the use of 'snogging' in FGOTBP, and (I'm presuming this was intentional) the 'bloody' double-entendre in LROOE.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

OK, two things here... I've lived all my live in the US, have not traveled abroad, and most of my life I lived in areas of the country most would consider 'redneck' areas. In my experience, most people use the word 'autumn'. Mostly because you can't say the 'fall leaves are falling', it sounds ridiculous. Everyone says 'the autumn leaves are falling'. I wouldn't consider the word a British word at all! I will say that we do use both words and don't stick with just one.

Second thing is a question. What is wrong with 'engineer'? I'm not getting why it's an issue? What other word would be used? Unless I'm mistaken, on most trains, only the engineer has control of the whistle, though of course these days, I believe it can be controlled by a central location not even on the train.

Dreamer, I've always heard 'moan', too.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    What is wrong with 'engineer'? I'm not getting why it's an issue? What other word would be used? Unless I'm mistaken, on most trains, only the engineer has control of the whistle, though of course these days, I believe it can be controlled by a central location not even on the train.
    I'd like to know too. I always thought the guys at the front of a train, working the steam engine, were known as engineers.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I agree with you too, VA - on both points.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Second thing is a question. What is wrong with 'engineer'? I'm not getting why it's an issue? What other word would be used? Unless I'm mistaken, on most trains, only the engineer has control of the whistle, though of course these days, I believe it can be controlled by a central location not even on the train.

Dreamer, I've always heard 'moan', too.
    I wasn't making a serious point, it's just that in Britain we call them drivers (be it steam or any other traction) - as the son of a train driver I can't let it slide

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I wasn't making a serious point, it's just that in Britain we call them drivers (be it steam or any other traction) - as the son of a train driver I can't let it slide
    I thought of that after I commented, that those who made and agreed with the comment lived outside of the US, so I wondered what you called them!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    My guess is that 'formal introductions' is correct.

And back to Eagles songs - I have one that I came across last week. In Midnight Flyer is it "Engineer, won't you let your whistle blow" or "Engineer, won't you let your whistle moan"? I think it's the latter.
    I've always heard Engineer won't ya let your whistle moan also.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............