Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Did I hear that right? (Misheard lyrics)

Default Re: Did I hear that right?

As far as THIO goes, put me down as hearing "alive". That is kind of a tough one and I can see how it could either way but I hear "alive" more than "so loud".

Here's one that my mom gets wrong every time. In Please Come Home For Christmas the line is "But this is Christmas, yes, Christmas, my dear." My mom always sings it as "But this is Christmas, yes, Christmas magic." Ah, bless her. I've told her the right words many times but she says she likes it better as "Christmas magic".
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

lol! I like "Christmas magic" better too!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

lol, I thought it was Christmas magic too

Re LITFL

I thought "paid heavily bills" might have been an intentional switch of "played Beverly Hills" since the earlier line is "They knew all the right people, they took all the right pills" - I'm picking BH would be a good place to do both of those?

Put me down as one who always heard in LITFL "paid heavenly bills". Now that I listen back with headphones and slowed down in my computer, it's most definitely "heavily".
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    Re LITFL

I thought "paid heavily bills" might have been an intentional switch of "played Beverly Hills" since the earlier line is "They knew all the right people, they took all the right pills" - I'm picking BH would be a good place to do both of those?

I have to believe that you are right and it would be!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well regarding the "heavenly" bills vs. "heavily" bills, I alway thought it was heavenly. To me "heavily" doesn't make any sense. I think it may sound that way just because of the way Don enunciates the word. I remembered some of the discussion about this earlier in this thread, so I went back and looked. Here are a couple of quotes ...

Quote Originally Posted by glenneaglesfan View Post
    According to my "The Best Of Eagles" songbook, published by Warner Music Group, 1981, it is "heavenly bills" - it would make a lot more sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Neither word works but to me he's singing 'heavily' and I have just looked at my Hotel California sheet music book which lists the word as 'heavily'.
    FP, do you remember who published the sheet music book you own? I would tend to think glenneaglesfan's song book published by Warner Music would get it right, but you never know.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

And here's another quote from gef that I found in going through the thread regarding The Heat Is On lyric:

Quote Originally Posted by glenneaglesfan View Post
    According to my 'Best Of Glenn Frey' songbook, it's "and the beat's alive", so those internet sites should go back to their research!
    Again, I wonder if Kate's songbook was an official publication? In any event, after going back and reading all the comments in this thread, you all have convinced me that it is "the beat's alive".
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 01-10-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well regarding the "heavenly" bills vs. "heavily" bills, I alway thought it was heavenly. To me "heavily" doesn't make any sense. I think it may sound that way just because of the way Don enunciates the word. I remembered some of the discussion about this earlier in this thread, so I went back and looked. Here are a couple of quotes ...

FP, do you remember who published the sheet music book you own? I would tend to think glenneaglesfan's song book published by Warner Music would get it right, but you never know.
    It is published by Warner Bros. Publications. It is as official as you can get.

The bottom line is that neither word makes any sense at all, but the word is 'heavily'.

Yeah, but the "official" Warner publication that GEF has from 1981 conflicts with yours and says that it is "heavenly", so which "official" publication is correct?

I agree that neither word is a great choice, but in the U.S., we do use the word "heavenly" in this context i.e. to describe something that is "up to the sky" so to speak. I can't think of any instance where the word "heavily" would be used in this context.