Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Did I hear that right? (Misheard lyrics)

Default Re: Did I hear that right?

It's unusual but technically grammatically correct. I'm going with "heavily" as in "he paid heavily for his sins."

ETA: Ironically, when I started this thread, I thought it was "heavenly." I just changed my mind upon repeated listens, especially live. Regardless, my own vacillation shows that one must be very careful before declaring one knows what a lyric is!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Well, late to the party as usual, but I've always thought it was heavenly. That being said, I never had cause to question it, so didn't go the distance and listen to it multiple times to try to figure it out. I guess we'll never know for sure since 2 publications from the same company state it differently.

I will continue to sing heavenly when I hear it because that makes the most sense to me.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I will make one more comment on this, which is that the only time I would use the word 'heavenly' as an adjective would be in relation to associated words; 'heavenly powers', 'heavenly bodies' or even 'heavenly messenger'. Possibly I would use it to say 'that's heavenly' meaning 'that's really nice' so I find the idea that it might be generally used to mean 'up in the sky' somewhat strange. I would not like to speculate on how many people think the word is 'heavenly'. I wouldn't know.

Now I do have another example of a lyric that I misheard for a long time and that is The Allnighter. I thought for years the opening line was 'long ago, lonely night'. It's 'lonely girl, lonely night'.

I did a little research of my own on LITFL. I listened to Glenn's performance at the House of Blues but I couldn't really tell if he sang "heavenly" or "heavily". I then went to YouTube & I found the following video of Joe performing it. He clearly sings "heavenly". I still hear "heavily" whenever I listen to Don sing it though. More confusion.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eNj3P7gGmY[/ame]

In "The Allnighter" in both the album version & a bootleg version I hear "lonely girl, rainy night". I assumed that was why there was the sound of rain at the beginning of the album version.

Stuck on the Border

Sorry, 'rainy night' in The Allnighter. My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Sorry, 'rainy night' in The Allnighter. My mistake.
    I find it odd that we can hear words in a song as something other than what they actually are & continue to hear them that way. In many instances I hear lyrics in a song the same way over & over until I learn what the correct words are & are it's so obvious, that I wonder how I ever heard what I did. Funny.

Stuck on the Border

Yes, but in that instance I mistakenly typed 'lonely' instead of 'rainy'. The words I misheard for so long were 'lonely girl' which I thought were 'long ago'.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It's unusual but technically grammatically correct. I'm going with "heavily" as in "he paid heavily for his sins."

ETA: Ironically, when I started this thread, I thought it was "heavenly." I just changed my mind upon repeated listens, especially live. Regardless, my own vacillation shows that one must be very careful before declaring one knows what a lyric is!
    Since songwriters can write anything they want even if it makes no sense, we may never know why the lyrics are so bizarre. But wouldn't the correct grammar be "heavy bills"?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Not if it's modifying "paid" - "paid heavily." (The adverb "heavily" is modifying the verb "paid").

But hey, it doesn't really matter to me wither it's 'heavenly' or 'heavily.' As you can see from the thread, I've waffled on it! lol It's all good.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I knew there had to be a thread for this. Thanks, Soda.

I had a couple of messed-up words that people already mentioned (yeah, I thought it was "heavenly" too), but there are a couple more you all might find amusing.

I mentioned in the Survivor thread that I always heard the "Play on, El Chigadero" (sp?) line in Visions as "Come on and take the devil". It seemed to fit as a reference to a song from the first album. I actually like this line better and will probably continue to sing it wrong.

The other line I've been messing up since 1979 comes from The Long Run.
    The real line: "Kinda bent but we ain't breakin'"
    I heard: "Climbed the fence but we ain't breakin' it"

It was only when I recently watched "Farewell 1" and read Don's lips that I realized what the line really was.